Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad Idea For A Travel Bug!!

OzGuff

"Stupid is who stupid does"

Forrest Gump

Not to infer anything from the quoted post, but the TB owner's profile page shows the profession of "Attorney."

Also, my e-mail was (I hope) very calm and collected. It is fine to mention your feelings about this TB, pro or con, but leave your thoughts on the TB owner out of it. As I tell my kids, "Play nice."

It is illegal in most parts of Europe to possess things which look like military arms or military ammunition ... so I stand by my post. Sorry to keep it that clear but if a geocacher gets caught at an European airport with that TB he is in SERIOUS trouble!

edit: spelling

Edited by teamguzbach.org

I would just say let him know nicely why it may be a bad idea.

Especially if he/she is a newbie it would suck if they got a bunch of e-mails scolding him for his choice.

We've all done certain things that right after we did them we had to say to ourselves. "Duh, what was I thinking!".

Someone said it may be plastic. Well plastic and fake looking or not, sure as crap someone will find it in a geocache and think it's a terrorist device. That would be bad publicity for the sport.

I think the owner should just get the bug back and attach something different. If he wants to keep the military theme just use a plastic army man or something of the like.

One of the goals is to have it's picture taken at Independence Hall......so, you're standing there at Independence Hall with what could very easily be mistaken for a live hand-grenade, and the security force walks up....what's you're next move? I mean, after they body slam you to the pavement and throw the cuffs on you..... B)

Seems to me an excellent way to get whatever cache it goes into blown up.

As others have mentioned, it's certainly not good public relations for a sport that needs all the good words it can get.

Hopefully, they will reconsider their choice of bug and attach something a bit more appropriate.

I have to come clean, since I was the jackass that created the travel bug. It was stupid, and I do apologize. Sometimes, the brain isn't working when I come home from work. I'm going out to the cache site today, and I'll remove the bug.

My apologies, again. As someone wrote, while I'm a newbie, common sense should have prevailed on this one. It didn't and I'll fix this.

TPB