Jeep Contest

Well since it appears 'seasoned cachers' will have better chances, I am disappointed. I guess I just have to wish my family and I had heard of this before October 2003.

Then again, does seasoned mean a number of caches or time caching?

We love the sport and even bought our first Wrangler just under two months ago..

I pray to find a yellow jeep and get it moving to a real nice place..

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ed-572b3af660aa and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f0-9b6395c2414a come to mind.. This road was our first real 4x4 drive with the jeep.

I am just going to have to hold my breath and see what Jeremy comes up with I guess.

I'm not sure I follow you. Travel bugs will be distributed to local/state organizations. They will then be placed in caches and move like normal travel bugs. There are prizes for best picture/log entry, but nothing was mentioned about picking up a certain number of bugs, or a certain bug.

I suppose your chances of finding one goes up the more you cache, but not because you have a high number of finds before the contest.

We haven't worked out the distribution details, but for good reason we'd love to see the seasoned cachers get the bugs. That would ensure they make it to caches and not the person's sock drawer.

Once we get close to the 24th when we should receive the die cast Jeeps, I'll announce how people can get them started.

Jeremy posted it way back in the thread..

:ph34r:

We haven't worked out the distribution details, but for good reason we'd love to see the seasoned cachers get the bugs. That would ensure they make it to caches and not the person's sock drawer.

Once we get close to the 24th when we should receive the die cast Jeeps, I'll announce how people can get them started.

:ph34r:

Ok, I see it now. However, those people are supposed to place them, not keep them. I don't see any benefit or prize associated with being the first to handle any of the bugs.

Actually, it's extra work for them. They've got to find caches to place them in or plan to meet other cachers in their area to pass them out. Not that I mind, I actually signed up to distribute them in Albuquerque. I've got a few slated to take an immediate trip east to Portales (eastern edge of New Mexico) and will probably be able to get some to our Four-Corners cachers fairly quickly also.

:P

Ok, I see it now. However, those people are supposed to place them, not keep them. I don't see any benefit or prize associated with being the first to handle any of the bugs.

Actually, it's extra work for them. They've got to find caches to place them in or plan to meet other cachers in their area to pass them out. Not that I mind, I actually signed up to distribute them in Albuquerque. I've got a few slated to take an immediate trip east to Portales (eastern edge of New Mexico) and will probably be able to get some to our Four-Corners cachers fairly quickly also.

As I posted initially. I have a few places I would LOVE TO PLACE one.. Not keep it. :P I must have missed something though.. where does one sign up for them?

Edited by ShadowAce

Let me qualify seasoned - A geocacher.

Since 1,000 will be mailed individually after we distribute 4,000 to the organizations (or most of them), we'll have a sign up for folks to receive a travel bug for free. Obviously we want them to be placed in caches so the widest audience can participate in the promotion. It's more likely that a geocacher would actually place them in a cache, ergo, we'll probably send a mailer out initially to folks with accounts on the site and let them have first crack at requesting them.

Hmm..I'm not sure how I feel about this promotion yet. With 5000 TBs added (all with the same item), it sounds like it might get to be as ubiquitous as McToys...

Clearly they won't have simple tag #'s (to avoid easy fraud finds) which means pulling an identical yellow jeep out of a cache and taking it home, just to find out it's one of the same 200 that have been floating around your state for the past 6 months. OR you're going to have to keep a searchable list of all the yellow jeep #s that you find so you check in the field whether it's one you hit 3 months ago or not. Also, since it's a promotion, these things are meant to be obvious and all over the place. This means like some caches where you cringe to open another box of McToys and old golfballs...you'll be finding a bunch of yellow jeeps. It just might get really tired really fast (and it'll be this way for at least 6 months).

TBs have a certain mystique or fun to their finds because of their general rarity and individuality. It seems as though the huge influx of 5000 copycat TBs might not be the fun adventure many think it will be, especially after the first month or so. I reserve judgement until it actually happens though.

ju66l3r,

I have recently found 3 USA geocoins - all identical except for the number (and goal) - and I was QUITE excited about them. I can hardly wait to find another one.

If you end up having 200 in your state, that assumes something went seriously wrong with local distribution. I think local distribution and the law of averages will work out just fine.

ju66l3r,

I have recently found 3 USA geocoins - all identical except for the number (and goal) - and I was QUITE excited about them. I can hardly wait to find another one.

If you end up having 200 in your state, that assumes something went seriously wrong with local distribution. I think local distribution and the law of averages will work out just fine.

As far as I know, I'm the only distribution person for New Mexico (since I'm centrally located in the state, and there is a low population anyway). I already have volunteers ready to take several off my hands to take to the different corners of the state. I don't see all of the bugs ending up in the same caches around Albuquerque, they'll be spreading out rapidly. I imagine other states will be the same.

Not exactly a plague of YJTBs.

You'll have to watch the acronyms. :)

In Geocaching speak, I assume that YJ = Yellow Jeep.

In Jeep speak, YJ = Jeep Wrangler model produced from 1987-1995. This is the "square headlight Wrangler" that came after the various CJ models and prior to the current "TJ" models.

Join us tomorrow for another thrilling episode of When Acronyms Collide. (Which happens just about every day where I work, at a company know by an acronym!)

Jeremy and fellow cachers-

After reading a bunch of these posts- I felt it was time to speak up and take a bit of a bow. The idea for this contest actually came from me.

Its overwhelming to hear people excited about this contest, for so long I thought it was never going to happen. From the beginning in my heart I knew that it could work and provide lots of fun and adventure for cachers but there were lots of meetings that people just gave me blank stares, 'So its like buried treasure...?"

My wife and I have been hooked on caching ever since we started. I would come into the office on Mondays and rave about this or that clever cache in some cool spot or how on a trip we found a couple.

Then while working for Rodale's Scuba Diving I was pitching advertising to a client who wanted to be linked to a 'cool cutting edge adventure'. We talked about scuba diving and how we could partner. Then in the car on the way back from lunch, I was sharing how I had been caching over the weekend. They had never heard about it so I explained caching and that led to another meeting>

I brainstormed more of this idea for a contest to my boss and we pitched it up the corporate food chain- more presentations, and it grew to include the other titles Backpacker, Bicycling, Runner's,World, and Men's Health.

This continued until it got to our Detroit office and JEEP signed off on it.

From early on there have been lots of people who worked very hard on the idea and it could never of happened without their efforts. So I don't want it to appear like I am ultimately responsible for this, just the start.

Hopefully everyone will enjoy the contest, and good luck finding a "YJ"

SkynSea (aka Andrew) :):)

Actually it has been a long time coming. I flew to Detroit in December '01 to talk to Jeep about the Travel Bug promotion. While I was there I found Nike's No More. I even found "Geo Joe" Squad Leader and brought him back to Seattle. At the time the concept of Travel Bugs was pretty new.

So it has taken a long time and there were a lot of people along the way who helped make it happen. Thanks for kickstarting the project again.

Edited by Jeremy
the corporate food chain

Nice post, but I have to jump in to protect my contribution, too. It's the IP world, you know.

The evil idea of "Jeep Food Chain" is mine (although it's merely a derivation of Forsythe's "Barbie Food Chain" project). I think we'll use Jello for Jeeps, it's gonna be very Utah.

And YJTB was first proposed in my post of May 4 2004, 04:15 PM, too. Of course it isn't really a TLA (as three-letter acronyms are known :) ) so the purists may shrink it to just JTB.

Anyone know of a company that wants to pay me to GeoCache?

Hey Seamus! I get paid to geocache in California!!! :D

...but there's this clause in the fine print that says you have to give up your Jeep Scare-okee 4x4 and pay for your own gadgets on a pretty measly salary. :) So I need to win a Jeep 4x4 because I can't afford to buy one. I'll take any color or model. I'm not finicky like some of these other geocachers. :D

When Great Scott! told me about the contest, I thought you had to find one of Jeep's TBs and enter the number on the tag to participate in the win-a-jeep sweepstakes (sort of like winning a key that might start the vehicle). :D But that wouldn't be any fun because I have way too many responsibilities--Great Scott! would undoubtably beat us all to the nearest 4 or 5 JeepBugs, :D even if he has to Blow Out His Shoe or sandal or stilletto heel or whatever it takes to accessorize his kilt-o-the-day. :D

FYI - Instead of doing the ho-hum-everyone's-done-this-locationless, Scary-Cookie turned it into a modified SlugBug (when you spot a VWBug you shout "slugbug" and hit your fellow travelers before they say it and hit you). My arm gets a little bruised from the plague :) of JelloYeeps in my neighborhood, but it gives us something to do on long trips.

Thanks, Jeremy and SkynSea and all of those other geohounds who invest their time and effort into keeping the game fresh and exciting for oldtimers! Mugsly

It seems as though the huge influx of 5000 copycat TBs might not be the fun adventure many think it will be, especially after the first month or so.

If it gets too boring, I hereby volunteer to place a cache just for them. Gee, I wonder if that would work and just how many one could get through a cache in a given time? I mean, if the goal were to get all of them into one cache...

:)Sorry, lost my mind, just for a moment. :)

To answer a previously asked question, the Jeep page does say one entry per person, per day. I've entered on two consecutive days now, and gotten the identical email from Jeep twice. Of course, this means that I'll be getting twice as much junk mail from them now... So, I would assume that it is quite alright to enter more than once.

Another moment of clarity. Perhaps I should just keep the above a secret. No, No, NO! You can only enter once per drawing! Yeah, that's the ticket!

If I win, I also solemnly swear, aver, or affirm to paint my new Jeep the brightest yellow I can find. Maybe something from House of Kolor?

To enter the contest just go to the main page of this site at geocaching.com and click on the image of the yellow jeep. Then you will go to a page where you can click on entering the contest or also sign up for email alerts when yellow jeeps are close by.

Simple math:

4,000 / 50 states = 80 travel bugs per state.

California has 10,996 active caches.

Assume half of them at any given time are placed in caches. Not exactly a plague of YJTBs.

Do you really think the absolute mean of 80 of them are going to make it to Montana? What about Rhode Island? There are only 157 caches (of *all* types including webcam/mystery/virtual) there. One TB in every second cache I find in RI isn't quite the same ratio as CA.

Think that's aberrant because of RI's size? Vermont only has 212...North Dakota, 114. Even as large as Nebraska has about 400 and even larger Montana has the same.

Don't pick the largest state with the top 10 highest cache densities and expect to have made any sort of a valid point for all 50 states. Also, don't assume that you're going to keep 80 JTBs into every state border. They are going to migrate to where people cache most regularly, just like every other TB (that isn't geographically restricted by description/goal).

Also, you say nothing to address the point I made on the localization of certain tag numbers. Part of the reason long-distance circulation is so high for current TBs is because each TB is novel and given interesting goals (like being forced to try to get coast to coast). What would be the inherent point in taking JTB#2033 to NC with me from MA since when it gets there, it's just going to be one of the 120 JTBs already floating in NC? That is as opposed to dropping it 2 miles over from where I got it (because I ran into another JTB I was unsure if I had already gotten yet or not).

I saw this last night and I am very excited. I have a bright orange 58 willys that is not currently running (and could be for sale...).

Bring on the TB's

Thanks Jeremy and GC.com for the new fetaures and added bonuses like this.

I am looking forward to seeing the press it gets.

Concerning the above message from Jeremy

;):):):D:D:D:D:D:D

some people are never happy, eh?....even with free stuff !

I am quite happy with the way things are progressing concerning the Jeep stuff and I'm sure that it'll all work out, people get too worked up over the inconsequential things of life. :D

Like any travel bugs, some will move around the same area for quite some time. Some will travel long distances. They should be spread around the country enough so that most active cachers have a realistic chance of handling at least one. Whether the initial distribution is based on cache density or equal numbers for each state, the bugs won't neccessarily stay there for long.

I'd be happy with getting 20 started in New Mexico since we have only 755 caches here, even though we're the 5th largest state in the country. (Arizona, BTW, is 6th in size, but has 2368 caches). I have enough volunteers to distrubute them whether Groundspeak sends me 20 bugs or 80. They'll all be spread out soon enough.

Jeremy and TPTB...

As you know from previous posts, my family is excited.. (My seven year old has now asked if we can paint our '97 Wrangler Yellow)..

We here in Arizona know of the creation of the Yellow Jeep and the discussion lists are flying (oh the email) :bad: I once more want to say thanks because it has given me a reason to chat with peoples I have been meaning to speak to for permission to hide a cache..

If anyone knows a good Auto Paint shop, let me know.. I have to find a place to take my new jeep when I win it to be painted a flaiming yellow.. (The power of positive thinking :lol: )

I cannot express how excited my children are about looking for JTB's. We started caching as something to do as a family to be out of the house and away from playstation and XBox.. Now we will have another item to hunt down as we do with Benchmarks and Caches..

A heartfelt thanks to Everybody involved in this project. I can say we are grateful for all the hours you have all put in.

Don't pick the largest state with the top 10 highest cache densities and expect to have made any sort of a valid point for all 50 states. Also, don't assume that you're going to keep 80 JTBs into every state border. They are going to migrate to where people cache most regularly, just like every other TB (that isn't geographically restricted by

You answered your own question right there. They are going to migrate to where people cache most regularly (and there are the most caches to put them in), just like every other TB, and harmony and balance will return to the universe.

just like every other TB, and harmony and balance will return to the universe.

Until they hit Mn. . . :lol::bad::o (they tend to get caught in a vortex around here) I wonder how distribution will go here?

I own 2 Jeeps now, and 6 total in my life- Sorry, but I'd never paint the one I won Yellow. To trendy. Blue Black or silver please.

Until they hit Mn. . . :lol::bad::o (they tend to get caught in a vortex around here)

An interesting stat can be calculated in this respect: a state / regional TB migration half-life ( i.e. how far back in time one has to go to find that half of TBs which used to be in the area on / after this date are no longer there).

Rodale and Jeep are both on the east coast, so everything is Eastern time zone. Feel free and sign up now. I hope one of the old timers here in the forums win.

(No need to send bribes. I don't control the final drawing :bad:)

Return my envelope when you get it then. :lol:

~Mark

ju66l3r does bring up a valid point, however. How will these bugs be individualized? Only by tracking number? Or will each have a different name? Will the cache page say that "YJTB 133" has been spotted or just YJTB (I still like that better than JTB :mad: ). A little foresight when heading out will avoid the confusion, but I can see where a cacher might pick up the same bug more than once.

As far as 'what's the point of moving?', well, TB's need to move. I don't foresee one running into dozens of these bugs every day anyway, unless your name is CCCooper or Show Me. If you don't want to move these bugs, then don't pick them up. Problem solved. B)

I think this promotion is a great idea... thanks to all involved for setting this up.

May I suggest that an "Official Jeep Geocaching event" toy be sold in the Groundspeak shop? A yellow Jeep with a tiny "Let's Go Geocaching!" bumper sticker on the back? :mad:

Also, I assume the allocating of TB's will be based on cache counts in each state... but I'd rather simply trust folks to "get that" vs. debating allocation mechanisms in the forums.

-Jif

Edited by TeamJiffy

Wow. Some people would complain if they were "hung with a new rope". :mad:

It's a contest, you can win something free. If you don't win, you're out nothing but the effort to type in your entry.

Just suppose you lived in FL or DC, like some of us poor unfortunates. (Although, I'll take the winter weather here over most of the county). B)

Please read it again, it is not a complaint. It is a pragmatic consideration of dropping 4000-5000 TBs on the network of geocaches at the same time. I have pointed out in each of my posts on this topic that I am not "ranting" or even bothered for the most part by this promotion. Characterizations as such are only used to attempt to invalidate an argument by attacking the speaker's assumed attitude (aka ad hominem attack). I just wanted to express that I am unsure that the ramifications of this promotion on the balance of the network has been truly evaluated.

In 6 months time, we may or may not see as many complaints as we have previously about McToys filling up every cache from here to Kookamunga. While I'm glad it is Jeep instead of someone like Microsoft who will be perfusing their image into a game that had been fairly free of in-your-cache ads, I am still a little discouraged that this decision was made. Unlike McToys, this is a site-sanctioned perfusion of a corporate logo into an otherwise 'free-n-clear' game. All may be well and good 6 months from now and it may turn out to be fairly enjoyable to snag JTBs or become an owner of one some time down the road to change it's entire outlook. That remains to be seen and I only presented my thoughts to introduce ideas that do not seem to have been considered before amid the "how cool is this..i even own a jeep" flood of responses.

Edited by ju66l3r
Wow.  Some people would complain if they were "hung with a new rope".  :mad:

It's a contest, you can win something free.  If you don't win, you're out nothing but the effort to type in your entry.

Just suppose you lived in FL or DC, like some of us poor unfortunates.  (Although, I'll take the winter weather here over most of the county).  B)

Me, too!

And I am complaining for legal reasons: I doubt that the "Terms of Use" cover a promotional action that is aimed ad furthering the name of a company by sending out UBE (aka "Spam Mails"), as it has happend to those signed up for the "weekly notification".

Even worse, for all those outside the 48 states, it is a plain nuisance to be bothered.

It would have been fairly easy to send this information only to Geocachers that are able to take part in the contest - and even these emails would have been of arguable legal assessment.

Summing this up, I would very much appreciate if you (Groundspeak) would reconsider this way of promotion.

Thanks,

BalkanSabranje

Me, too!

And I am complaining for legal reasons: I doubt that the "Terms of Use" cover a promotional action that is aimed ad furthering the name of a company by sending out UBE (aka "Spam Mails"), as it has happend to those signed up for the "weekly notification".

Even worse, for all those outside the 48 states, it is a plain nuisance to be bothered.

It would have been fairly easy to send this information only to Geocachers that are able to take part in the contest - and even these emails would have been of arguable legal assessment.

Summing this up, I would very much appreciate if you (Groundspeak) would reconsider this way of promotion.

Thanks,

BalkanSabranje

Well, considering that THEIR lawyers wrote the "TOU" (Terms of Use) I bet they know what's allowed and what isn't - and I bet they also know how to ammend them if necessary.

I'm not sure what spam you're talking about - I get ONE email per week from Groundspeak. If that's spam for you, God help you.

If you don't want to get the email, take yourself off the list.

It is not as easy as you may think to limit emails to the countries or states that are allowed to participate.

southdeltan

Me, too!

Thanks,

BalkanSabranje

Well, considering that THEIR lawyers wrote the "TOU" (Terms of Use) I bet they know what's allowed and what isn't - and I bet they also know how to ammend them if necessary.

I'm not sure what spam you're talking about - I get ONE email per week from Groundspeak. If that's spam for you, God help you.

If you don't want to get the email, take yourself off the list.

It is not as easy as you may think to limit emails to the countries or states that are allowed to participate.

southdeltan

Well, I bet their lawyers do not have much of an idea about continental legal systems. Whatever the legal regulations concerning UBE in the states may be, they are (likely to be) punishable here (and I say this as a lawyer).

And: I subscribed for the weekly notification list, but nor for any advertisements for Jeep.

BS

Well, I bet their lawyers do not have much of an idea about continental legal systems. Whatever the legal regulations concerning UBE in the states may be, they are (likely to be) punishable here (and I say this as a lawyer).

And: I subscribed for the weekly notification list, but nor for any advertisements for Jeep.

BS

You signed up for their messages. The advertisement for the jeep promotion came in an email you would have got with our WITHOUT the jeep message. I'm sorry - but if you started getting emails directly from DaimlerChrysler you might have a point - but you're getting the same emails you always got. Did the note about International CITO day qualify as spam??? You didn't sign up for that either. They also, in the same emails, mention new products they sell from time to time.

One email per week from somebody you signed up for does NOT equal spam.

If your countries judicial system would allow for you to sue somebody in this case, it's screwed up worse than the US legal system.

The solution to this "problem" is simple - unsubscribe from the weekly mailing list.

That one email (with or without the Jeep promotion info) must be killing your mail download time.

southdeltan

WARNING: REALLY BORING STUFF FOLLOWS

On the off chance that the info is useful, let me point out a UCD issue on the sweepstakes entry page.

At the bottom pf the page, below the various fields and the radio buttons for the question about when you're planning to buy another vehicle, there is a statement with a checkbox next to it.

This statement reads: "By providing your email address you may receive future communications about updates, incentives and special offers from DaimlerChrysler."

The checkbox next to this statement is potentially confusing. The statement is just that - a statement, not a question, nor is it phrased as an optional thing. The checkbox is not labeled. By default it is checked. The purpose of that checkbox is left for the reader to surmise. If I uncheck it, am I opting out of those DC emails that the text describes? Or does it server any purpose at all?

My best guess is that the checkbox is for what is called "opting out". In other words, you uncheck the box if you don't want to receive those promotional emails from DC. I can't confirm that though. If it is in fact an opt-out option, or if the checkbox serves some alternate purpose, it would be nice if it were clearly labeled as such.

The updates list seems to be something entirely different, there definitely is no opt-out option for promotional emails, and promo emails are not mentioned on the page. On the other hand, the exact nature of the updates isn't specified. It's states that it is for TB updates, but it may not be limited to those TB updates.

This is provided in the spirit of constructive criticism, not as a complaint about anything. I'm sure that it has bored some folks to tears :mad: but at work I am involved in this sort of thing, with web users, privacy and international legal concerns, etc. As you can see from BalkanSabranje's posting, this is a sensitive issue for a subset of users, and problems can often be avoided just by making things on the site very clear up front.

Forgive the long post, folks. Hopefully most of you listened to the warning and just skipped it! B)

This statement reads: "By providing your email address you may receive future communications about updates, incentives and special offers from DaimlerChrysler."

There's nothing to be confused about. If you leave it checked you get emails from DaimlerChrysler. If you uncheck it, you DON'T get email. I unchecked it and I haven't recieved a single email.

I'm glad you brought that up, I'd forgotten about that.

It's standard practice on lots of websites to have the default set to spam. I've grown used to this so I guess I forgot about it.

SB says he is a lawyer - I would say he should pay more attention to detail but it is also obvious that English may NOT be his primary language.

Read the fine print :mad:

And ignore my rant about the little note in the geocaching emails - that's the only thing I've seen so I assumed (incorrectly as usual) that was what you (SB) were talking about.

southdeltan

There's nothing to be confused about.  If you leave it checked you get emails from DaimlerChrysler.  If you uncheck it, you DON'T get email.  I unchecked it and I haven't recieved a single email.

FWIW I agree with your interpretation, but it just doesn't say that, which is my point.

It's standard practice on lots of websites to have the default set to spam.  I've grown used to this so I guess I forgot about it.

Agreed, although if you're signing up for it then it's not spam in the usual sense.

And ignore my rant about the little note in the geocaching emails - that's the only thing I've seen so I assumed (incorrectly as usual) that was what you (SB) were talking about.

I think he's signed up for the weekly JTB notification, and that apparently includes the promotional emails as well(?) although the signup page for that doesn't mention those... if I'm understanding the specifics of his complaint.

Edited by Team Nazgul

I think he's signed up for the weekly JTB notification, and that apparently includes the promotional emails as well(?) although the signup page for that doesn't mention those... if I'm understanding the specifics of his complaint.

I'm signed up for the Jeep TB alerts and I haven't recieved anything. I wouldn't expect to until the Jeeps are released.

I'm betting he left that box checked.

southdeltan

Wow,

How did this thread morph into a discussion about SPAM? Can't I get away from this topic once I leave work?!?! :mad:

Let's make it simple. if you're looking for the letter of the law re: SPAM in the US, Google "CAN-SPAM". This is the law that went into effect 1/1/04 and regulates (NOT PROHIBITS) the sending of UCE (Unsolicited Commercial E-mail).

If you signed up, did not uncheck the box, etc. then the word SPAM should not even be referenced. It was not unsolicited. If you are now unhappy with receiving the e-mails, do unsubscribe.

Back on topic:

1) I like the idea of having a JTB icon

2) I don't think there will be an over population of them traveling around to the point that you will continually run into the same one

3) I love the promotion. Great tie-in and inside joke for forum regulars and a great promotion all the way around

Kudos to all for adding a little something more to the game.

Now, if I could only find the Precious......

Geesh....Are you all going to pick this apart to the inth degree until someone gets fed up with it all and cancels the sweepstakes? Trust me, these sweepstakes people know what they are doing. They'll have it all worked out by the time the TBs are mailed out...don't worry so much.