Jeep Contest

We're ok for now. Most of my messages are buried in this topic, so only the most hardcore geocachers will even know  :mad:

I sent my E-Mail, although I do not know if we quite qualify for the title of 'hard-core cachers' or not.... :mad:

We have the cache picked out for the honor of receiving the famous bug!

Thank you very muchly.....

Shirley~

<_<<_< Also, thank you for these neat little guys --

So what exactly IS the email address we need to send requests for YJTB's to? I sent one to both jeep@geocaching.com and jeep4x4@geocaching.com and they were sent back. The closest one to us right now is 24+ miles (after that it is 40 and up), that seems to be a little sparse for a large city such as Chicago.

So what exactly IS the email address we need to send requests for YJTB's to? I sent one to both jeep@geocaching.com and jeep4x4@geocaching.com and they were sent back. The closest one to us right now is 24+ miles (after that it is 40 and up), that seems to be a little sparse for a large city such as Chicago.

Check to make sure you didnt enter a typo. I sent a request email to jeep@geocaching.com and got a reply which said:

This is an auto-response generated by our Groundspeak Email Bot to let you

know we've received your email. Please do not reply to this message. We

have assigned a tracking number for this issue, which you will see in the

subject line of email from us.

So far no other reply, but I bet they are overwhelmed with requests.

Sent email again (there were no typos in the others) and received the same auto-response mentioned above by Nappy10 and Riddlers this time.

This is the kind of thing I posted about in the complaint thread. This could have been and should have been responded to by TPTB. Sometimes it seems the only way to get a response is to rant and rave. That I refuse to do tho, so I'll keep trying to ask questions respectfully and hope for the best.

Edit: clarification of what message I received after todays email attempt.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

On June 1, I had also sent in my request and received the same return message.

At the time I was sure that Jeep@Geocaching.com was the correct address to request a Jeep TB.

I have attempted to recreate my research that I had done at the time but I fail to confirm.

I do trust my earlier research though and am confident that the above address is correct.

Good luck and have fun

Has anyone else placed a Jeep TB, only to have it go missing? I picked up a yellow Jeep while caching out of state. Brought it more than 500 miles to place it in a cache where I live. I figured it was our only chance to ever see one here in the boonies. Within hours of my posting it on line, a cacher logged that there was no sign of the Jeep in the cache. :(

If I ever get another YJTB in my hands, I will be placing it in a more difficult cache!

:( Happy ending: Right after I posted this (of course), I received an e-mail alerting me that a cacher had FINALLY logged the pickup. Harmony is restored!

(Edited to add happy ending.)

Edited by GunniGirl

Not sure where the confusion is about the email address. I said jeep at geocaching.com. Since @ is an at symbol it seemed obvious, but I didn't want to post the email address since spam software likes to take them off web pages and spam them. Since people have posted jeep@geocaching.com on this page the intent has been lost anyway, so what the heck.

If you get an autoresponse from our email bot, it went through. You'll get an email once it is processed.

On June 1, I had also sent in my request and received the same return message.

At the time I was sure that Jeep@Geocaching.com was the correct address to request a Jeep TB.

I have attempted to recreate my research that I had done at the time but I fail to confirm.

I do trust my earlier research though and am confident that the above address is correct.

Good luck and have fun

Woo Hoo!

Just got this email ...

----------------------------------------

Hi

Just a quick note to let you know your Yellow Jeep Travel Bug has been shipped via USPS and you should be receiving it in 5 to 7 days. Happy Geocaching!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

----------------------------------------

They are going out

Not sure where the confusion is about the email address. I said jeep at geocaching.com. Since @ is an at symbol it seemed obvious, but I didn't want to post the email address since spam software likes to take them off web pages and spam them. Since people have posted jeep@geocaching.com on this page the intent has been lost anyway, so what the heck.

If you get an autoresponse from our email bot, it went through. You'll get an email once it is processed.

The only confusion on this end was because after sending the email to that address it was returned as undeliverable. Since there was no other posting that I saw about a problem with the email at this site I figured the address was wrong, thus my question in my first post and my comment about a response from TPTB being needed in my second post. I am sorry about posting the full email address, and do appreciate the response.

Now while I have your attention, there is a matter of a question I have regarding TB's and webcam caches......

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

:P I live in a fairly small town in the middle of nowhere, so when I got a bunch of emails saying Yellow Jeep TB's were in my area I got all excited. Well, it turns out that some cacher has three of them and he placed them and then immediatly grabbed them again and took them on his way across country. I know you are supposed to have an adventure with them to submit to the contest, but there should be a rule against BOGARTING them.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I feel better! :P

I'd email them and ask kindly that they start dropping them off for other cachers. Seems fair.

If you were getting an email returned, there was definitely something wrong. You should at least get an autoresponse letting you know the email was received.

Forward: I currently have a jeep tb in my posession, but am dropping it in a cache this weekend. (I got in in WI, and its going back to WI)

I'd email them and ask kindly that they start dropping them off for other cachers. Seems fair.

Please email MN.....

Now while I have your attention, there is a matter of a question I have regarding TB's and webcam caches......

Oh, please tell me someone is dropping Jeeps into webcam caches and picking them up...

Hehe. No, nothing like that. I had a question as to why you can drop TB's in virts but not webcams (to keep track of personal TB's mainly). I got an answer and am content now.

Regarding the various serial numbers with the Jeeps -

we thought it was weird that the TB names have # numbers,

like a serial number - #3678 - but it is not on the tag.

And there is a inkjet number on the bottom white rocker panel,

but again, not on the tag.

It would have been nice to coordinate either the # serial number

or the white rocker number - with the TB number -

:D I live in a fairly small town in the middle of nowhere, so when I got a bunch of emails saying Yellow Jeep TB's were in my area I got all excited. Well, it turns out that some cacher has three of them and he placed them and then immediatly grabbed them again and took them on his way across country. I know you are supposed to have an adventure with them to submit to the contest, but there should be a rule against BOGARTING them.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I feel better! :D

BUSTED!! Yes, I was given 3 Jeeps. Yes, I brought them with me as I moved across country. Yes, I was logging them in and out of caches. Yes, I left 2 of them in caches. No, I did not leave one in Nevada. The 3rd Jeep will be placed in a cache in the Virginia Beach area.

Yes, I brought them with me as I moved across country. Yes, I was logging them in and out of caches.

Ugh! We had some guy doing that here too. It triggered an e-mail to me (and others in the area) saying there's a YJ nearby every time he did it! I just hope no one chased after it thinking it was really dropped in those caches.

Jeremy:

Are Jeep requests still being fulfilled, or are they all gone? I send in a request almost exactly 24 hours after you posted the info. I received an email receipt confirmation from Jeep 4x4, but I didnt hear anything after that. Do you think there is any chance I might still get one?

I send in a request almost exactly 24 hours after you posted the info. I received an email receipt confirmation from Jeep 4x4, but I didnt hear anything after that. Do you think there is any chance I might still get one?

Me to Nappy10. I sent a request on the same day too. Waiting on a ship confirmation. I have to place the Jeep in the Green and Yellow cache I own when I get it as only green and yellow item can be put in the cache!

Could any one tell me if it is possible and who to contact if we need the tag # from A Jeep TB? This weekend I picked one up and quickly transferred to a cache 75 miles away but when I got home to log it, I had forgotton to get the TB#. I do have the reference # TBH28R.. The Jeep site has no contact information.

Thank you!

You're right on the mark. I'm just not getting this "confused" vibe that RJFerret is getting. We haven't received any confused emails either since the start of the Jeep Cache-In promotion.

Frankly, if I was eligible I would just think it would be cool to win the photo or essay contest for a month. There's a lot of talented photographers and essayists out there, strutting their stuff. If folks like the idea we'll probably just extend it after the Jeep promotion.

Actually, add me to the "confused" column....

When I first heard about YJTBs I though that finding one and logging it automatically entered me thru the site.......I now know this is not true.....

To be honest, I cant understand what the idea of the YJTB really is, other than to promote the two contests...one where you submit an essay pr picture, and one where you eneter your name for a Jeep (no TB needed)....

Or am I still confused?

You're right on the mark. I'm just not getting this "confused" vibe that RJFerret is getting. We haven't received any confused emails either since the start of the Jeep Cache-In promotion.

Frankly, if I was eligible I would just think it would be cool to win the photo or essay contest for a month. There's a lot of talented photographers and essayists out there, strutting their stuff. If folks like the idea we'll probably just extend it after the Jeep promotion.

Actually, add me to the "confused" column....

When I first heard about YJTBs I though that finding one and logging it automatically entered me thru the site.......I now know this is not true.....

To be honest, I cant understand what the idea of the YJTB really is, other than to promote the two contests...one where you submit an essay pr picture, and one where you eneter your name for a Jeep (no TB needed)....

Or am I still confused?

The jeeps are just part of the essay/picture contest, but yah, I guess in a way, they're just a promotion for the contest.

But you do have a chance to win stuff throught the picture/essay contest...

Ok...I was just reading the rules for the TB contest again......It says one entry per name/email address per period.

So, if I find 1 YJTB or 30, I really dont get any more or less entries? I can enter ONCE per period regardless of the number of YJTBs I find, and I can use the same YJTB each period...right???

I have found 3 and thought I had a better chance of winning than I did when I had only found one.... :blink:

And the sweepstakes for the Jeep is actually a mail-in/online registration only....correct?

Do I have it right??

if so, I hafta say I am a *little* disappointed....very cool concept, but if the way I have stated it is true, what is the point of looking for as many YJTBs as you can find?? Or am I missing something ??

I like to think I generally am not an idiot :D but I feel like when when trying to figure out if the search for YJTbs is worth it or not....