Jeep Contest

I also would be pleased if when you did a cache search, it would show the jeep icon along with the regular travel bug icon if they were both in the cache at the same time......It would make it a little easier to pin-point the jeep's.......I'm not trying to be picky, i'm just thinking.......

Um, it does, check out this link

I also would be pleased if when you did a cache search, it would show the jeep icon along with the regular travel bug icon if they were both in the cache at the same time......It would make it a little easier to pin-point the jeep's.......I'm not trying to be picky, i'm just thinking.......

Um, it does, check out this link

It doesn't work all the time...I don't know why. See my post near the bottom of the previous page.

I'll step forward now as having been one of the "confused" about the contest/sweepstakes.

Initially, I assumed that finding a Jeep TB would enter me into the drawing for a new Jeep. The front page of jeep.geocaching.com reads (in bold print):

"Starting this summer, search America for hidden treasures and a chance to win one of three new Jeep 4x4s. Join the geocaching adventure sport, and see if you can find a Jeep 4x4 Travel Bug."

(emphasis mine)

Having been there myself, I can see where some confusion might arise. On the other hand, once you realize there is both a "contest" and a "sweepstakes" (and realize that the two are not referring to the same event) and read the rules for both, it's pretty obvious.

I'm not sure who to thank (Jeremy, et. al.), but the contest is really exciting! I found one TB already and grabbed a couple of others.

Whee! I grabbed my first YJTB today from a Show Me The Cache cache. One thing that I had a little trouble with was logging it, though. The 'zero' in the tracking number looks like a 'O'...

Took my knife to it and etched a small line so that the next person won't keep getting the "No such tracking number" error. Now, where to put it?

Whee! I grabbed my first YJTB today from a Show Me The Cache cache. One thing that I had a little trouble with was logging it, though. The 'zero' in the tracking number looks like a 'O'...

Took my knife to it and etched a small line so that the next person won't keep getting the "No such tracking number" error. Now, where to put it?

How about in a cache close to me. :lol:

McWeb

I'm ready for my new Jeep and have quit my job to find every Jeep TB there is in order to ensure my success. NOT! I drive around in a P.O.S. Nissan gas squeezer and a new Jeep would be great, but what are the odds? It's advertising and it will probably get them the sales that they want. Either way, I'm out for as many Jeep TB's as I can find.

The first international Jeep Travel Bug!! (I think, feel free to Markwell me if not.)

18ea84ea-f053-4310-92a6-47e027ce2741.jpg

This little Jeep went to Moscow and Ivanovo, Russia with me the last ten days. I could not leave him there because 1.) there are no caches in Moscow or Ivanovo and 2.) it was clear lots of red tape with Russia or face 10yrs in jail for brgininng a GPSr in, so I opted to leave it at home.

More pictures of our travels can be found here at the Jeep's site: Jeep 4x4 #2768

How come the Jeep travel bugs have an asterisk next to them in your stats? An asterisk means it counts towards your finds total, but the Jeeps don't add anything to the number

I do believe this has been covered and its just a glitch on the cache page. We are still waiting for Jeramy to fix it, but its just cosmetic so I don't think it has a high priority.

They're already activated. You use the travelbug number on the tag to "grab" the bug from the owner, Jeep 4x4, and then you can drop it in a cache as you would normally drop a bug.

southdeltan

I entered the tracking # in the search field on the TB page. All I got was this message:

The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system

Am I doing something wrong?

They're already activated.  You use the travelbug number on the tag to "grab" the bug from the owner, Jeep 4x4, and then you can drop it in a cache as you would normally drop a bug.

southdeltan

I entered the tracking # in the search field on the TB page. All I got was this message:

Am I doing something wrong?

Earlier in this thread, some people had found that if there is a 0 or O in the number/letters it is hard to tell if it is a number or letter. Could this be your problem? The last person filed a line through the 0 so the next person would know it was a number instead of a letter.

I hope this is the problem in your case. Nice & simple to correct.

Shirley~

I got a surprise in the mail this morning. Last week I had ordered one of those silver colored geocoins and when the package arrived along with the coin was a yjtb. :) I want to something special with them. There is a thread on the TB forum where a member from Belgium is talking about not being able to find geocoins or yjtbs in Europe. So I thought I'd send the geocoin (after activating it of course) and yjtb over there for release if they agree to do it. The question though is how to get the travelers started. My thought is just to log them to a local cache and then immediately retrieve them. After that I'd just send them through the mail for placement over there. Would there be a better method? The yjtb could just travel around over there and I'd have the geocoin travel for a while then return to a local cache.

Nope thats not it. I tried it with several different Jeep TBs also and got the same problem. The one I have in front of me has no zeros or Os.

Send me a PM with the stamped JP number and I'll see if I can figure out what's happening.

:) Elias

:) Maybe enter the TB on the Jeep Site instead of through the regular Geocaching site?

I have found a lot of info on their site(such as a link to the photo & essay contests that Jeremy added). that does not exist on the regular site. Go to Main Menu and click on the link to the Jeep site, kind of in the middle of the page. We don't have any YJTB's in Southern Arizona yet, so we have not encountered the problem. Also, I've noticed several logs that say the physical bug number does not match the Web site number. Just some ideas. Regards, Team Safari

I got a surprise in the mail this morning. Last week I had ordered one of those silver colored geocoins and when the package arrived along with the coin was a yjtb. :) I want to something special with them. There is a thread on the TB forum where a member from Belgium is talking about not being able to find geocoins or yjtbs in Europe. So I thought I'd send the geocoin (after activating it of course) and yjtb over there for release if they agree to do it. The question though is how to get the travelers started. My thought is just to log them to a local cache and then immediately retrieve them. After that I'd just send them through the mail for placement over there. Would there be a better method? The yjtb could just travel around over there and I'd have the geocoin travel for a while then return to a local cache.

Silver colored coins??? Do you mean that the color of the coin is silver, or that the coin is silver with colors on it? Just wondering because if there is a silver coin with colors on it then I want to order one. I haven't heard of that though, so you probably just meant it was silver in color.

McWeb

Also, I've noticed several logs that say the physical bug number does not match the Web site number.

If you're talking about the number printed on the white background under the rocker panel, that number is irrelevant. I think it was originally meant to be the Jeep number, but in the end no attempt was made to match that number with anything. The only number that matters is the one on the attached aluminum tag.

I entered the tracking # in the search field on the TB page.  All I got was this message:

Oops! It looks like we forgot to insert the last 1000 bugs in the database. I've added them, so you should be able to logs those bugs now. Let me know if you're still having trouble with them.

I entered the tracking # in the search field on the TB page.  All I got was this message:

Oops! It looks like we forgot to insert the last 1000 bugs in the database. I've added them, so you should be able to logs those bugs now. Let me know if you're still having trouble with them.

Thanks Elias. All the bugs are working fine now.

know that a yellow TB is not the answer to my car troubles but I sure would like to get my hands on one just to say I had.

If you want a YJTB, then come on down. We and a couple of others in the area have placed a few in local caches and they have yet to be found. Caching is just plain ole slow around here!!! :tongue:

I found one and it wasnt loged in that cache. What do I do? How do I log it any ways?

You enter the tracking number and grab it from Jeep4x4, place it in the cache and remove it (so it's miles can start from where it was first found).

That is how I found and started mine.

The person who placed it (in my case) was responsible for distributation and was just getting them out.

... or perhaps the placer hasn't had time to log it yet. In that case you could wait a day or two.

So far only one has passed within 125 miles of my home and that one disappeared real fast. I just want to be sure to sign up for a few of the individual ones that Jeremy said would be opened up on this thread.

Edited by Riddlers

I too am having the same problem, YJTB are coming about 50 miles close to me but by the time I get out there to grab one there gone :bad: . I really wish I could get a few to distribute among the local caches out here. I know I few other cachers who are also waiting to get their hands on a jeep TB. OH well I guess I'll wait till I can sign up for one, hopefully I'll get one then :bad:

Please kind sir, can we have some yellow jeeps down here. Jeremy, can we get some down in southern Oregon yet? It has been several weeks that they have been out and about, but can we sign up for the individual ones yet? It may be the only way we will see any down here. And if you wanted to send more than one I would be glad to spread them around like Johnny Appleseed.

Those that have come within 50 miles of us have been entered into a cache only to "log the miles"; :laughing: just a little frustrating. I too am waiting for Jeremy to let us know how we as individuals can get one to start in our area.

We're starting to send out individual Jeeps to folks who request them.

If you want a Jeep (US only), send an email to jeep at geocaching.com with the following info:

1. Your FULL address. We've been receiving some requests through the contact address and people are leaving things off like their city, state or zipcode.

2. A pledge that you will place this travel bug in a cache and not keep it. (This is not legally required but it would be nice to know you plan to release it)

Have at it! Once this is up for a short while we'll put the instructions on the Jeep site as well.