Jeep Contest

oops...to put the YJTBs into an event I'm hosting this weekend, I had to log them into my account (I think :lol: ). So I just checked, and I have 40 YJTBs on my stats page...I hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers at the event...btw, was there another way to post the YJTBs for the event (without my logging them)?

nfa

Why even bother logging them into an event? Everyone knows the jeeps are gonna be there. It's not like a typical event where 20 different geocachers come from all different directions with 30 different travel bugs. Heck, we didn't even bother setting up an event page. All I needed was a post in my local group's forum saying "meet me in XYZ Park between 4:00 and 5:30 if you want to get some yellow jeeps."

I have to agree with everyone who said 50 miles is a bit too far for the notifications. I can't recomend a better distance but I think 30 would be good.

You see, I live quite a bit out of the city of pittsburgh, but I also occasionally cache there, and as of right now, I get email notifications for my area, the greater Pittsburgh area, and even down south in West Virginia...

I would even like to see the distance even go to 75 miles out in our situation. I am in a very rural area and there are only 3 caches within 50 miles that are not mine. Needless to say, I have found every cache within 50 miles of my location!

log only those that you personaly going to place in a traditional cache. Let those that you give any to be the first to log any that they place in traditional caches.

But what about logging them into an event?

I think i answered that question at least with my opinion. an event is NOT a traditional cache.

Since there really no rules these are only my opinions.

Edited by CO Admin
I was reading some posts in another thread from cachers in Australia. They said there were only 9 physical caches within 50 miles of their city. That would make the yjtb 50 mi radius a problem. :D

If the contest were being run in Australia...

But it is a possibility a yjtb could make it over there. Eventually......right? :D

log only those that you personaly going to place in a traditional cache. Let those that you give any to be the first to log any that they place in traditional caches.

But what about logging them into an event?

I think i answered that question at least with my opinion. an event is NOT a traditional cache.

Since there really no rules these are only my opinions.

Did you get your PM from me?

I was reading some posts in another thread from cachers in Australia. They said there were only 9 physical caches within 50 miles of their city. That would make the yjtb 50 mi radius a problem. :D

If the contest were being run in Australia...

But it is a possibility a yjtb could make it over there. Eventually......right? :D

Of the 11 YJTBs I just received from Groundspeak I am distributing 10 to cachers from in and around western NC at an upcoming event cache. The last one I have slated to take Down Under when the family and I travel there in late July. We have relatives who are geocachers and I am sure that they would love to get in on YJTB mania!

I'm not sure what to do about the logging thing. I didn't request the jeeps as a part of an organization or even an event. Just as an unknown, lone geocacher. I am going to an event soon... where I will hand a few out. So do I not log them first?

I am still waiting to get an individual yellow jeep, wish I could help move some around like sock puppet. I have not gotten notice yet of any within 50 miles of where I live and I used a 25 miles zip in each direction to also be notified. So far none in most of Oregon that I know of yet.

There are only 24 caches withing 50 miles of me, and so I knew it would be a while before I got any notifications. Most of my caches nowadays are done more than 50 miles away from my home; however they are planned trips on weekends. I wouldn't be able to just drop everything to drive to Dallas to find a YJTB. Regardless of that, I still wanted to know when the YJTBs were starting to be distributed in Texas, so I picked a Dallas zip code and receive notifications for that area too. That way, if I am going down there one weekend, I'll know if there are any new listings that I can check out. I think this is the best way for anyone who wants a larger radius to get notifications. The only problem is, the e-mail doesn't tell you what zip code the notification is for, so you have to open the cache page. This isn't much of a problem for me, because I know the names of all 24 caches within 50 miles, so I can figure it out without looking at the cache page.

McWeb

Woulda been nice to have had a YJTB to drop off in one of the caches I did this weekend up in Big Bear as part of our Jeep clubs 2nd Annual L.O.S.T. KJ WEST Big Bear Wheelin' Weekend.

BBGMJJ2.jpg

Pic taken real close to my new cache we placed. L.O.S.T. On Gold Mountain Trail 2

Had lots of Jeepers out there that would have gotten real excited about Geocaching had they seen a YJTB.

BBgroup.jpg

Maybe Next time. :D

:) I did a search and there are no YJ TB's within 100 miles of zip 96001. I wonder why? I see some cachers have been sent large amounts of them.

How did you perform such a search? I've tried creating a query myself and unfortunately you can only indicate the cache has a travel bug. If there's more than one bug, the icon may not display the jeep unless all the bugs in the cache are jeeps, or am I wrong?

Oooohhh... That'd be cool. Can we modify the Pocket Queries to include an additional checkbox like "Caches that contain Jeep Travel Bugs?"

I'm not sure what to do about the logging thing. I didn't request the jeeps as a part of an organization or even an event. Just as an unknown, lone geocacher. I am going to an event soon... where I will hand a few out. So do I not log them first?

I was very surprised to find 20 YJTBs in my mailbox yesterday and at first wondered if i should log them or not. Figured that they showed up at my doorstep so that makes em a find in my book so i logged them. Hopefully we will be handing a few out this Thursday when we meet Clayjar on his Alaska Quest. :) After that we will place the rest in various caches around the area. A little bit of work logging in and out but definitely worth it to me!!! :)

:) Thank you again, Jeremy. I just read all the new essays and looked at all the photos in the contest from your link on the Jeep page. They reflect the diversity and imagination of the Geocaching community - will we get a chance to vote on the best each month? No Jeep TB's yet in southern Arizona that I can see. We are anxiously awaiting their arrival, because the other half of Team Safari has some great ideas for photo ops. Regards, Team Safari
Amusingly, it appears many people don't realize you aren't elligible to win a jeep via the TB contest.

It's also amusing that you think people are confused. Where you're getting that idea is beyond me.

The way I understand it there are two contests going on simultaneously. The YJTB

essay/photo contest for "Jeep Gear" and a sweepstakes which can be entered at

jeep.geocaching.com for a "real" jeep. If I am wrong, let me know.

You're right on the mark. I'm just not getting this "confused" vibe that RJFerret is getting. We haven't received any confused emails either since the start of the Jeep Cache-In promotion.

Frankly, if I was eligible I would just think it would be cool to win the photo or essay contest for a month. There's a lot of talented photographers and essayists out there, strutting their stuff. If folks like the idea we'll probably just extend it after the Jeep promotion.

It's also amusing that you think people are confused. Where you're getting that idea is beyond me.

Boy, if Iwere to judge this person by post counts- I surely couldnt fault him. [insert sarcasm here]

Maybe this user went on Vacation, and missed the month or moer longer forum topics..... At least cut the guy some slack, or just dismarkwell his *** and get it over with. :)

Amusingly, it appears many people don't realize you aren't elligible to win a jeep via the TB contest.

<insert proper link here> Its all here, if you need clarification

Frankly, if I was eligible I would just think it would be cool to win the photo or essay contest for a month. There's a lot of talented photographers and essayists out there, strutting their stuff. If folks like the idea we'll probably just extend it after the Jeep promotion.

I'd like to see more promotions like the Jeep TB's. The possibilities are practically endless.

I guess our feerless leader hasn't read any of the essays himself!

They are peppered with "we're looking forward to winning a jeep" comments and the like.

I never suggested it was confusing or a problem--it's just evident that many don't read.

Now we have further evidence in this very thread--LOL!

Enjoy,

Randy

PS: Some quotes from essays off the top half of the page...(just to reiterate, despite the allusions below, the prize of the TB contest is $45 merchandise, NOT a new Jeep as in the sweepstakes.)

"OH yea this is how to get my jeep"...another for the kids

If you found a little toy Jeep/travel bug, you could win a real Jeep.

only asking for happy healthy kids and a Jeep

Ah I see the one about the wife. Seems like there was a communications problem between the husband and the wife. I let the wife know he had communicated it wrong.

Maybe a husband would want his wife to think that they could win a Jeep so that she would let him go geocaching more often.

Ah I see the one about the wife. Seems like there was a communications problem between the husband and the wife. I let the wife know he had communicated it wrong.

Maybe a husband would want his wife to think that they could win a Jeep so that she would let him go geocaching more often.

Shhhhh! Not so loud!

Nor me. I have waited to be notified of one near me but so far nothing from Eugene to Grants Pass. I guess I'll just have to wait until we can ask for one individually but I see in the forum that some individuals have already received 20 or so in their mail. All I can say is we are still waiting just like you are in Chicago.

I still haven't seen any jeep icons in the Chicago area. That figures. I have a question...If a jeep travel bug is placed in a cache containing a regular travel bug, does the regular travel bug icon trump the jeep icon?

I'm not from Chicago, but I heard from Stunod that Markwell dropped off a bag of like twenty in some random cache unannounced. PM Stunod for info...

I still haven't seen any jeep icons in the Chicago area. That figures. I have a question...If a jeep travel bug is placed in a cache containing a regular travel bug, does the regular travel bug icon trump the jeep icon?

You should see one in a new Stunod cache this weekend :unsure:

Hi Cachew Nut,

I placed one just for you a few days ago ...

Travel Bug Party at the Trestle

... and even dropped you an advance email (Shhh, it is still there). :unsure:

No too long ago there were 20 Jeep Travel bugs dropped at ...

Lyons F.P. travel bug station

,,, by Markwell of Chitown Cachers. I know this is about 45 minutes from Chicago, I was able to take my crew out there to pick a few up.

Even though he did not log them there, they were logged at the cache as people picked them up. (Shhh, they are all gone from there as of yesterday)

I expect the ones picked up at 'The Station' might make their way closer to Chicago.

Go get the one at 'The Party' and have fun!

Edited by Panther in the Den
... I would just think it would be cool to win the photo or essay contest for a month. There's a lot of talented photographers and essayists out there, strutting their stuff.

What a lot of the people submitting the entries (both photo and essay) don't realize is ...

"... 30% Suitability for Advertising and Promotional Purposes ..."

Some of the photos don't even have jeeps in them. :unsure:

I guess this is good for me?!?

I placed one just for you a few days ago ...

I was asking about the jeep icons on the search pages. Still haven't seen any in the Chicago area.

Ah..I see what you're talking about now. It does seem that caches that have a Jeep TB & other TB's are not getting the jeep icon on the search page. Here is the search for ILLINOIS. There is a jeep logo by Dodd's Park Cache (which contains ONLY a Jeep TB), but not by Highland College Cache......... even though it does have a Jeep TB (in addition to other TB's) in it at this time.

Edited by Stunod

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I don't believe there are any in or near Chicago, with the exception of one outside the city mentioned above. But even if they were in a cache that contained other bugs, there is no way to find them from the search pages.

Edit:typo

Edited by cachew nut

We were fortunate to have the Jeep Fairy leave four yellow jeeps at our house. Mrs. Okie and I decided we would have a race with them. Unfortunately, Little Okie wants to keep his and play with it.

Will I be able to purchase a plain ol' Yellow Jeep, (non-TB variety) from the Groundspeak store or will have have to find a cheap knockoff at the House of Giraffe?

-E

I noticed on someone's profile page that has found a YJTB that the number found is indicated to add to the find count.  I added up the numbers and it doesn't seems to be added into the total.

Earlier question: will YJTB finds be added to the total find count in the future?

Minor addition: On page 7 of this thread, Jeremy answered this question by saying the YJTB wouldn't be counted in the total finds, yet as CR mentioned, that asterisk that appears next to the YJTB found icon can be confusing. Not complaining, just wondering if it'll ever disappear?

I had the privilege to retrieve a Jeep placed by the highly respected Show Me the Cache in one of his own caches here in Louisvillle, KY. :blink:

Edited by Teach2Learn

I also would be pleased if when you did a cache search, it would show the jeep icon along with the regular travel bug icon if they were both in the cache at the same time......It would make it a little easier to pin-point the jeep's.......I'm not trying to be picky, i'm just thinking.......