Jeep Contest

I've been following all the YJTB discussions since the jeep fever started (Caught It!) and I noticed this morning that there doesn't seem to be any updates on how, when, or where individuals will be able to request a YJTB from the final 1000.

I realize patience is required during this YJTB Fever Frenzie :lol: , however does anyone have current information that I may have missed in the discussions?

Just curious B)

~Iner

I've been following all the YJTB discussions since the jeep fever started (Caught It!) and I noticed this morning that there doesn't seem to be any updates on how, when, or where individuals will be able to request a YJTB from the final 1000.

I realize patience is required during this YJTB Fever Frenzie :lol: , however does anyone have current information that I may have missed in the discussions?

Just curious B)

~Iner

Jeremy's post

Jeremy's other post

:blink: Pardon my newness to the forums... but I see a problem with the YJTB's already - there will be THOUSANDS of them that will be retrieved from caches and kept as souveniors. I'd bet on it. Who wouldn't want a cute little yellow die-cast jeep of their very own?
:blink: Pardon my newness to the forums... but I see a problem with the YJTB's already - there will be THOUSANDS of them that will be retrieved from caches and kept as souveniors. I'd bet on it. Who wouldn't want a cute little yellow die-cast jeep of their very own?

Uh, someone who already has a full-size green Jeep of his own? Someone who feels it's wrong to snitch TBs?

I think you're right though, a lot will disappear, just liek a lot of regular TBs do. Not much you can do about it.

I picked up a YJTB yesterday and hope to drop it tomorrow, because I know that other people are eager to log them. I would have dropped it today in fact but all four of my finds were &%$!@ micros! :huh:

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

:huh: Pardon my newness to the forums... but I see a problem with the YJTB's already - there will be THOUSANDS of them that will be retrieved from caches and kept as souveniors. I'd bet on it. Who wouldn't want a cute little yellow die-cast jeep of their very own?

Why would you steal someone else's property?

Just go buy one at Toys-R-Us or your local hobby shop.

It's called ethics.

On the 'Search for Nearest Cache' pages I like the jeep icon. But I noticed that in a cache that had both a regular TB and a YJTB, the regular icon was shown. Also, in another cache that had both a USA Geocoin and a YJTB, the Geocoin icon was shown. Does anyone know if there is a heirarchy of icons or is the last thing in the cache the icon that is shown?

Btw, a YJTB was placed into one of my caches! It was there for about 15 minutes.

:huh: Pardon my newness to the forums... but I see a problem with the YJTB's already - there will be THOUSANDS of them that will be retrieved from caches and kept as souveniors. I'd bet on it. Who wouldn't want a cute little yellow die-cast jeep of their very own?

There's no lack of negativity on the Internet. :P

Does anyone know if there is a heirarchy of icons or is the last thing in the cache the icon that is shown?

All the different icons will be shown on the nearest cache page. If that is not happening, please point me to a link where it is showing up incorrectly.

Does anyone know if there is a heirarchy of icons or is the last thing in the cache the icon that is shown?

All the different icons will be shown on the nearest cache page. If that is not happening, please point me to a link where it is showing up incorrectly.

At this cache Jaybird at Silver Creek (link below) there is both a YJTB and a geocoin. Then click on the 'all nearby caches' link and see the list. I only see the geocoin icon.

If you go to Strawberry Picnic (link below) there is both a YJTB and a regular TB. Then click on the 'all nearby caches' link and see the list. I only see the regular TB icon.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...11-999e8d81316d

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1a-0e56cb95a304

What I was wondering, was whether or not someone knew of any "updates" concerning the YJTB for individuals.

I'll post a message here when they are ready to be shipped out individually.

I've been watching but I am not sure I have been watching the right places. Where will it be posted to get individual jeep tb's? I know your working hard at this Jeremy and I appreciate it a lot, I just don't want to miss out on a chance to actually get to hold one. So I just want to patiently stand in line to get one when its time, as long as I know I'm in the right line.

Where will it be posted to get individual jeep tb's?

I will tell you here all the info you need to request one. here. As in this thread.

I don't know what will happen with the bugs once the promotion is over, but I hope to allow folks the opportunity to adopt them. I haven't received a final decision from Jeep yet.

i just noticed a potential problem with the YJTB's........(i'm in no-way putting them down) i received some in the mail from jeremy (thankyou) and on one of the jeeps the "roll bar" had cracked and the tag fell off, the plastic in this area is very fragile...... i just took my trusty "gorilla" glue and glued the cracked area and then glued the roll bar right to the jeep, the glue dries clear and isn't even noticeable..i then put it in a ziplock bag for even safer travel........just letting everyone know.......i'm preparing them now for release in "The Land Of Lincoln".................

on one of the jeeps the "roll bar" had cracked and the tag fell off, the plastic in this area is very fragile.

I noticed the same problem.

Hi,

I fixed 2 yesterday, after only taking them out of the box...but they are still awesome!

nfa

i just noticed a potential problem with the YJTB's [...]

Yeah, we realized when we received them that the plastic roll bars would be a problem, but we decided in order to keep the Jeep Wranglers mobile we'd go ahead and use the roll bar instead of wrapping them around the Jeep itself. The idea went from concept to completion in barely enough time to make them, so they had to use an old template (and therefore deal with the roll bar issues). If you get one, look on the back and they are labelled as '98 Wranglers.

They do drive as well as the '04 models though.

Thanks for repairing the poor roll bar on that one. We had thought about zip ties but the chains are much cooler.

i just noticed a potential problem with the YJTB's [...]

Yeah, we realized when we received them that the plastic roll bars would be a problem, but we decided in order to keep the Jeep Wranglers mobile we'd go ahead and use the roll bar instead of wrapping them around the Jeep itself. The idea went from concept to completion in barely enough time to make them, so they had to use an old template (and therefore deal with the roll bar issues). If you get one, look on the back and they are labelled as '98 Wranglers.

They do drive as well as the '04 models though.

Thanks for repairing the poor roll bar on that one. We had thought about zip ties but the chains are much cooler.

to solve this problem, a good idea would be to drill an small hole through the car and put the chain through there.... it would work...

Ugh. Has anyone else found the Travel Bug notifications totally useless? All my notifications are in the 25-50 mi range. Worse yet, they would take me over an hour to get to were I so inclined and available. Every single one of my notifications has gone straight into the trash.

Is there any chance to be able to set the range from the zip code entered? That would help limit the notifications to a useful area, for me at least. Were such a feature available, I'd certainly decrease the current setting a great deal. I'm just curious about the possibility - I'm certain there are more pressing things to attend to on the website.

In the mean time, the unsubscribe feature was very simple and easy. :lol:

So some think 50 miles is too far, while others think 50 miles is too restrictive. Anyone have an alternative safe distance to recommend?

Personally, I figure if it says 50 miles, ignore the email and move on, but that's me. Keep in mind that if it gets closer you'll get those emails as well.

In an urban setting, 50 miles is way to big. Personally, I got 50 email messages just from Jeep.geocaching.com when the YJTBs were placed. But for rural settings, 50 miles may be too small of an area. So I dont see how you could customize it for everyone. I think its fine where its at.

Edited by Nappy10

CrimsonWrath, You may just have to wait this one out. javascript:add_smilie(%22:mellow:%22) I was getting notifications for Jeep TB that were "nearby" but some were on the otherside of the local mountains. However, this evening I received one that said a Jeep TB was placed in a cache about 15 minutes from me. I drove over to the cache Got Bugs and retrieved the Jeep TB.

I would suggest that you just open the e-mail and check the distance. Then discard the ones that aren't close. A bit of a pain, but it finally paid off for me. Good luck.

javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

In an urban setting, 50 miles is way to big. Personally, I got 50 email messages just from Jeep.geocaching.com when the YJTBs were placed. But for rural settings, 50 miles may be too small of an area. So I dont see how you could customize it for everyone. I think its fine where its at.

Yeah, I agree with this. I doubt there is one setting that will make everyone happy. About the only solution is to add the ability to set your own distance, but that will add too much work on the server. I wouldn't request that feature unless it was really simple to do. Based upon my experience I predict it is not.

No problem. I was just curious if anyone else was having similar grumbles. I'm surprised to hear 50 miles is too small. Do they have their own jet at their disposal? :lol:

Subject line would be cool. I don't think I'd be resubscribing though. Most of the activity in my area is an hour away in Seattle.

I was reading some posts in another thread from cachers in Australia. They said there were only 9 physical caches within 50 miles of their city. That would make the yjtb 50 mi radius a problem. :lol:

Edited by Nappy10

I don't want any one to flame me for this question but hey a guys got to know.

I received a box of jeep bugs in the mail Saturday, which I will see get distributed today (Monday), the question is can I log all of these before I pass them on or is that a no-no? Or for that matter is that a dumb question to start with?

Be nice!

I don't want any one to flame me for this question but hey a guys got to know.

I received a box of jeep bugs in the mail Saturday, which I will see get distributed today (Monday), the question is can I log all of these before I pass them on or is that a no-no? Or for that matter is that a dumb question to start with?

Be nice!

What I did with the ones I received to distribute is I didn't log them as finds but just added them to my watch list. :lol:

In Western Pennsylvania where I am distributing the Yellow Jeeps, our group agreed that it would be part of the fun to let as many people as possible be the first one to grab the YJTB from its owner (Jeep 4x4) and then choose where to drop it. So, I did not log all 60 of the jeeps into my account - only the three that I will be placing in caches personally.

In another area, I noticed that a local group's account ("xyz Geocaching Society" - not an individual player) had logged all the jeeps first. I think that is fine too. It was the group who wrote and received an allotment of jeeps, and then set up an event to distribute them. And, the Jeep promotion then has a side benefit of promoting awareness of the xyz Group to any cacher who picks up one of the jeeps they launched.

So I guess my message is, check with your local cachers - they are the ones who need to be happy with how the jeeps are handled.