Jeep Contest

and it appears that only 7 Jeeps have actually moved to other caches

I placed the first YJTB in Alabama:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=100693

and it has moved to another cache and been picked-up by another cacher. Our state association, the AGA, is actively putting the YJTBs in caches throughout the state. I would be willing to bet a week from now a whole lot of the YJTBs will be actively moving. It was really fun to get to be part of this promotion!

Boy with only 14 jeeps traveling, this sure is starting out slowly...

As I stated above, I imagine within 1-2 weeks the country will be plastered with Jeeps. Here in Alabama we have been steadily working to spread our alloment equally throughout the state. It's not something that just happens overnight and we only got ours last Friday. Trust me, you WILL find a Jeep near you soon :back:

Boy with only 14 jeeps traveling, this sure is starting out slowly...

That was expected, which is why the first contest is during June and July, to allow more people the opportunity to get involved.

Since there is no organization in NJ, the first round has yet to ship any of them there. However, 3 neighboring states have received over 300 bugs, so I expect them to jump the border in the next couple of weeks.

Yaay !!! My postman dropped off a box at my house today....anyone guess what was inside ? a schload of Yellow Jeep TB's for Northwest Ohio Geocachers

So that was great but we're not going to be able to distribute them till June 26th at our Northwest Ohio Geocachers Picnicin' and Cachin' Summertime Event

So if you'd like to come, please feel free :lol:

until then I'm gonna bask in the yellow glow coming off my desk :lol:

A bunch (at least 40) were passed out at our BADGES (Bay Area Dining and Geocaching Enthusiasts Society) dinner in Novato, CA last Sunday (6/6). Expect to see more showing up this weekend. I have two and will be placing them either Saturday or Sunday.

I'm not sure if this is a silly question or not. I was reading the photo and essay rules. The photos and essays will be judged with the following criteria:

Applicability to Geocaching Experience (30%),

Creativity (40%) and

Suitability for Advertising & Promotional Purposes (30%).

I assume that the "Suitability for Advertising & Promotional Purposes" is for advertising Jeeps. Since Jeep spent some money, they should get something out of it right. But I hope it is for the advertising and promotion of geocaching. You see, I have a Buick Rendezvous that I go geocaching in. I am at a serious disadvantage if I take a photo of my family sitting on the hood of the Buick overlooking the a sunset from the Sierra Nevadas if the judges are all Jeep people. Does anyone think stories or photos not involving Jeeps can win the photo or essay contest?

At the end of each Contest Entry Period (per the schedule above), registered Geocaching Account users will have the opportunity to nominate the “best” Photo and the “best” Essay

Are we really going to judge the photos & essays?

I'm not sure if this is a silly question or not.  I was reading the photo and essay rules.  The photos and essays will be judged with the following criteria:

Applicability to Geocaching Experience (30%),

Creativity (40%) and

Suitability for Advertising & Promotional Purposes (30%).

I assume that the "Suitability for Advertising & Promotional Purposes" is for advertising Jeeps.  Since Jeep spent some money, they should get something out of it right.  But I hope it is for the advertising and promotion of geocaching.  You see, I have a Buick Rendezvous that I go geocaching in.  I am at a serious disadvantage if I take a photo of my family sitting on the hood of the Buick overlooking the a sunset from the Sierra Nevadas if the judges are all Jeep people.  Does anyone think stories or photos not involving Jeeps can win the photo or essay contest?

At the end of each Contest Entry Period (per the schedule above), registered Geocaching Account users will have the opportunity to nominate the “best” Photo and the “best” Essay

Are we really going to judge the photos & essays?

We might get to nominate the top photos and essays but it will be the approvers who decide the winners. At least that's what I got from all of it.

The top nominated Photos and Essays will then be judged, on the same criteria, by the Geocaching Approvers Panel.

JEREMY,

Did any yjtb's get to nj yet? no one answered me on this for a week or a two.....

They'll get to NJ, but they aren't gonna be dropped off at your door. You'll need to actually start finding caches if you want to see one.

Starting August 1, you'll be able to nominate your favorite photo and essay. We'll take the top 100 nominated photos and essays and choose from them.

This seemed to be the best way so everyone has a level playing field. If you could nominate throughout the timeframe the ones with the oldest photos/essays would have an advantage over the newer photos.

JEREMY,

Did any yjtb's get to nj yet? no one answered me on this for a week or a two.....

They'll get to NJ, but they aren't gonna be dropped off at your door. You'll need to actually start finding caches if you want to see one.

As soon as one gets to nj I will start finding them! Also, i dont want to spend hours on the search list if there are none in nj. You know...

Edited by MREAGLEWO1
*cough*

There are 1075 caches in NJ. Why wait for a YJTB just to find caches?

Kinda the point I was getting at. I hope he understands the idea of a travel bug is the move from cache to cache. That means you need to log at least 2 caches; one you find the TB in, and the other you drop it back off in. That means he would have to almost double the amount of caches he's found since 2002.

*cough*

There are 1075 caches in NJ.  Why wait for a YJTB just to find caches?

Kinda the point I was getting at. I hope he understands the idea of a travel bug is the move from cache to cache. That means you need to log at least 2 caches; one you find the TB in, and the other you drop it back off in. That means he would have to almost double the amount of caches he's found since 2002.

I think it's to be expected that some will not honor the TRAVEL part of Travelbug, but what can you do? I just wonder what this guy has been doing for two years if he's followed the forums, and waits anxiously for some YJTBs to be released.

Then again, it could spur his interest in Geocaching to find more than 1/year.

*cough*

There are 1075 caches in NJ.  Why wait for a YJTB just to find caches?

I think it's to be expected that some will not honor the TRAVEL part of Travelbug, but what can you do? I just wonder what this guy has been doing for two years if he's followed the forums, and waits anxiously for some YJTBs to be released.

Then again, it could spur his interest in Geocaching to find more than 1/year.

i guess this thread is just turning into a chatroom to complain this or that. I just asked a quest at the beginning, and all i wanted was a easy answer....

fyi i was not planning to KEEP THE TRAVEL BUGS, I WAS PLANNING TO PLACE THEM IN THE 4 CACHES IN MY HOME TOWN....wow that was really hard to understand....

I may not have big numbers but averaging 1 cache a week I don't think falls under Mopar's comments so please don't try to bring me into any personal arguments. I have no "beef" with Mopar and respect anything he has to say being an active member of the Geocaching community in our area. Unfortunately he is into the whole Connecticut "thing" now!!!! :lol:

I may not have big numbers but averaging 1 cache a week I don't think falls under Mopar's comments so please don't try to bring me into any personal arguments. I have no "beef" with Mopar and respect anything he has to say being an active member of the Geocaching community in our area. Unfortunately he is into the whole Connecticut "thing" now!!!! B)

Thanks! I dropped 5 in a central NJ cache today. I expect you'll see a bunch more in the next week or 2.

Well, I was all excited about this sweepstakes until I got to the part in the rules about it being void in Florida. What stupid law does Florida have that would make the sweepstaked void down here?

--Dave :lol:

I still haven't gotten a reply to this. I e-mailed them about 2 weeks ago asking the same question, and nothing. I guess Jeep doesn't want my business. B)

Well, I was all excited about this sweepstakes until I got to the part in the rules about it being void in Florida.  What stupid law does Florida have that would make the sweepstaked void down here?

--Dave :lol:

I still haven't gotten a reply to this. I e-mailed them about 2 weeks ago asking the same question, and nothing. I guess Jeep doesn't want my business. B)

What were you looking for, above and beyond the explanation already given in this forum? (That is, Florida has a very overprotective sweepstakes law that would require a half a page of fine print warnings every time you mention the contest.) Did you want Jeep to lobby the Florida legislature to change the law? Perhaps a letter to your state representative would be a better avenue to pursue.

It is easier for big companies to just exclude states or countries that have burdensome laws that would interfere with the operation of a sweepstakes everywhere else, than to comply with those burdensome laws. That is just how it is handled at the Fortune 500 company where I work.

I guess I fail to see the logical connection between "Jeep doesn't want to mess up its entire contest nationwide because of a stupid Florida law" and "Jeep doesn't want to do business in Florida."

Well, I was all excited about this sweepstakes until I got to the part in the rules about it being void in Florida.  What stupid law does Florida have that would make the sweepstaked void down here?

--Dave B)

I still haven't gotten a reply to this. I e-mailed them about 2 weeks ago asking the same question, and nothing. I guess Jeep doesn't want my business. :lol:

The post referring to the FL law can be found here.

icon8.gif

Woo Hoo!

202 miles from Chicago and the weekend is coming up!

Jeep 4x4 #3386 in Fork Horn Buck

... and then again ...

whitnallgps (who lives in SE Wisconsin) has 8 jeep TB's and might be at the The Mother of All Breakfasts event in about 8 days from now (which is only 68 miles away).

I don't remember why I remember whitnallgps??? Probally just from reading some local logs or something.

Woo Hoo!

202 miles from Chicago and the weekend is coming up!

Jeep 4x4 #3386 in Fork Horn Buck

... and then again ...

whitnallgps (who lives in SE Wisconsin) has 8 jeep TB's and might be at the The Mother of All Breakfasts event in about 8 days from now (which is only 68 miles away).

I don't remember why I remember whitnallgps??? Probally just from reading some local logs or something.

I remember now!!!

whitnallgps Grabbed my beloved (and only for now) Travel Bug Goo - Looking for Gumby and Friends From a cache in Indiana and brought her to Wisconsin!

Small World!

--Dave B)

I still haven't gotten a reply to this. I e-mailed them about 2 weeks ago asking the same question, and nothing. I guess Jeep doesn't want my business. :lol:

... in the meantime, there is a Jeep 4x4 Travel bug in Florida ...

Jeep 4x4 #0844