Jeep Contest

I was about to leave work today and just happened to notice a nearby cache that had it listed. I figured others must have beat me to it, but decided to stop. On top of that this is a micro cache, how is this going to fit in?

Well it was still there, with the TB tag inside the container and the jeep hanging on the outside.

I'll be dropping it off this weekend.

Thanks for this fun little addition to geocaching!

I was about to leave work today and just happened to notice a nearby cache that had it listed. I figured others must have beat me to it, but decided to stop. On top of that this is a micro cache, how is this going to fit in?

Well it was still there, with the TB tag inside the container and the jeep hanging on the outside.

I'll be dropping it off this weekend.

Thanks for this fun little addition to geocaching!

I've seen plenty of micro-containers that can hold travelbugs

It seems to me that all these cute little Yellow Jeep TBs, once they get going(and it has been a slow start) will overwhelm the Web site. For instance, the other half of Team Safari wants to find one really bad, since we own a Yellow 82 CJ-7 and are into 4-wheeling. So, we will be adding to our personal Watch List everyone that comes out until we can narrow down which ones went to Arizona. What if we added 1500 to track as Premium members, and everyone else did too? Just wondering... :unsure:

Lots of regional groups are choosing to hold events as a convenient means for distributing YJTB's to as many geocachers as possible. The YJTB's are shipped in large batches. I'll be receiving 60 of them myself on Tuesday. It would take me ages to get them all hidden myself. Instead, at an event, I can hand them out personally and the bugs can be dispersed quicker and farther, for more people to have fun with!

Lots of regional groups are choosing to hold events as a convenient means for distributing YJTB's to as many geocachers as possible. The YJTB's are shipped in large batches. I'll be receiving 60 of them myself on Tuesday. It would take me ages to get them all hidden myself. Instead, at an event, I can hand them out personally and the bugs can be dispersed quicker and farther, for more people to have fun with!

I started thinking about that shortly after submitting that post. It makes sense to get them out that way, and if I were to get a batch as large as you, it would certainly take quite a bit of time, as well as my own $$$ in gas to get them out there.

In the meantime, I'll be anxiously awaiting their release in Arizona so I can head out in my soon-to-be-acquired Wrangler YJ.

I'm not sure if this is a silly question or not. I was reading the photo and essay rules. The photos and essays will be judged with the following criteria:

Applicability to Geocaching Experience (30%),

Creativity (40%) and

Suitability for Advertising & Promotional Purposes (30%).

I assume that the "Suitability for Advertising & Promotional Purposes" is for advertising Jeeps. Since Jeep spent some money, they should get something out of it right. But I hope it is for the advertising and promotion of geocaching. You see, I have a Buick Rendezvous that I go geocaching in. I am at a serious disadvantage if I take a photo of my family sitting on the hood of the Buick overlooking the a sunset from the Sierra Nevadas if the judges are all Jeep people. Does anyone think stories or photos not involving Jeeps can win the photo or essay contest?

I assume that the "Suitability for Advertising & Promotional Purposes" is for advertising Jeeps. Since Jeep spent some money, they should get something out of it right. But I hope it is for the advertising and promotion of geocaching. You see, I have a Buick Rendezvous that I go geocaching in. I am at a serious disadvantage if I take a photo of my family sitting on the hood of the Buick overlooking the a sunset from the Sierra Nevadas if the judges are all Jeep people. Does anyone think stories or photos not involving Jeeps can win the photo or essay contest?

I think the entire contest is centered around Jeeps and Geocaching. Therefore, you want some of both in the picture. Since the contest has to do with the TBs, I'm assuming that the TB should be the Jeep that is in the picture. I'm sure many people will take pictures with the TB and their jeep, but it might not be as wise to do the same with the TB and another brand of vehicle. I don't know any of that for sure, but I would be willing to bet that those are the types of pictures the judges will be looking for.

McWeb

I assume that the "Suitability for Advertising & Promotional Purposes" is for advertising Jeeps.  Since Jeep spent some money, they should get something out of it right.  But I hope it is for the advertising and promotion of geocaching.  You see, I have a Buick Rendezvous that I go geocaching in.  I am at a serious disadvantage if I take a photo of my family sitting on the hood of the Buick overlooking the a sunset from the Sierra Nevadas if the judges are all Jeep people.  Does anyone think stories or photos not involving Jeeps can win the photo or essay contest?

I think the entire contest is centered around Jeeps and Geocaching. Therefore, you want some of both in the picture. Since the contest has to do with the TBs, I'm assuming that the TB should be the Jeep that is in the picture. I'm sure many people will take pictures with the TB and their jeep, but it might not be as wise to do the same with the TB and another brand of vehicle. I don't know any of that for sure, but I would be willing to bet that those are the types of pictures the judges will be looking for.

McWeb

But my Suburban is just a Jeep on steroids :bad:

Still waiting on some Jeep TB's to make it to Texas.

Hopefully being a member of the largest Jeep only 4x4 club in Texas, I might be able to get on the 1000. :bad:

This si such a great promotion. Two of my favorite hobbies rolled into one.

Thanks Jeremy

Just checked the locations of the Jeeps.

They are in caches in Washington, Alabama, and North Carolina (not counting event caches).

Just FYI

As for the servers, I am sure when they were released on 6-2 there was a lot of traffic and I noticed a little slowdown, but no breakdown. (Good job Geocaching.com)

Perhaps Jeremy could share the new server numbers and load they have been handling the past few days.

There are also some that have arrived in Georgia. The first of the essays in Alabama involves a police car and a funny story about giving the little Jeep a ticket on his way to a cache there. It's clever and has nothing to do with a regular size Jeep. I hope that corporate Jeep will recognize the diversity of geocaching and judge the essays and photos on their cleverness and beauty and not just whether they pertain to Jeeps in particular.

I assume that the "Suitability for Advertising & Promotional Purposes" is for advertising Jeeps.  Since Jeep spent some money, they should get something out of it right.  But I hope it is for the advertising and promotion of geocaching.  You see, I have a Buick Rendezvous that I go geocaching in.  I am at a serious disadvantage if I take a photo of my family sitting on the hood of the Buick overlooking the a sunset from the Sierra Nevadas if the judges are all Jeep people.  Does anyone think stories or photos not involving Jeeps can win the photo or essay contest?

McWeb

But my Suburban is just a Jeep on steroids :rolleyes:

Yep!! And my Yellow MINI Cooper is a Lowrider JEEP!!

I signed up to be notified when one of the YJTB is placed in a cache near me.

My question is...how close is "close to me"? I live just north of Phoenix, AZ in an area that has 8 caches within 5 miles and about 35 within 10 miles. If I lived more towards downtown, there would be a heck of a lot more. So, should I sign up to be notified for a couple of other zip codes to cover most of the Phoenix area?

Or will it be like the Thursday email notifications of new caches within 100 miles?

Just noticed a new feature on jeep.geocaching.com. I thought it was a good way to keep an eye on the YJTB movements and thought I'd share it with everyone. The link is TB movements, or you can go to the jeep.geocaching.com webpage and click on TB movements.

McWeb

I started receiving notifications late this afternoon, eight in total. Looks like a batch was run. There is an unsubscribe link in each email.

FWIW, half of the notifications arrived after the YJTBs had already been grabbed, perhaps because this appears to be the first batch of notifications. One had been dropped in a cache on Saturday and there was never any email notification, which is why I'm guessing that the notifications were just started. I'll be interested to see if the notifications roll in throughout the day or show up in groups from here on out.

As luck would have it, the 4 that are gone already are the ones that are closer to me. I won't be heading for any more distant ones because they may already have been grabbed but just not logged yet. One of the bugs was grabbed as it was being dropped. <_<

I have to apologize for that. We backdated the notifications when we started them today. From now on they will be within 15 minutes of the post to the web site.

No need for apologies! And thanks for doing the work so we all could have a bit of fun with these.

The story of the YJTBs getting put together and shipped out (with pictures of course) would have made a good story for Today's Cacher.

Just noticed a new feature on jeep.geocaching.com.  I thought it was a good way to keep an eye on the YJTB movements and thought I'd share it with everyone.  The link is TB movements, or you can go to the jeep.geocaching.com webpage and click on TB movements.

McWeb

It appears that the Jeep 4x4 Travel Bug movements web page only lists the 50 most recent.

There are about 180 active as of now.

I noticed on someone's profile page that has found a YJTB that the number found is indicated to add to the find count. I added up the numbers and it doesn't seems to be added into the total.

Question: will YJTB finds be added to the total find count in the future?

Any idea when a few of these jeep TBs are going to make it to Oregon?

A bunch were handed out at the champoeg event last weekend.

Also if you look at the pdxgeocaching website, there is a discuion in the forum there about how to hand out a few.

Edited by Laserman