Jeep Contest

How did this thread morph into a discussion about SPAM? Can't I get away from this topic once I leave work?!?!  :mad:

There was a post that seemed to complain about possibilities that gc.com hadn't thought of - followed by another complaint about spam that appears to be connected to the contest.

Let's make it simple. if you're looking for the letter of the law re: SPAM in the US, Google "CAN-SPAM". This is the law that went into effect 1/1/04 and regulates (NOT PROHIBITS) the sending of UCE (Unsolicited Commercial E-mail).

We're not looking for US law. SB is in Austria. Much of the US law has been (unfortunately) untested as of yet but I hope it'll start being enforced soon.

If you signed up, did not uncheck the box, etc. then the word SPAM should not even be referenced. It was not unsolicited. If you are now unhappy with receiving the e-mails, do unsubscribe.

I think the problem is the checkbox is a bit ambiguous. I agree that they should unsubscribe.

Back on topic:

1) I like the idea of having a JTB icon

2) I don't think there will be an over population of them traveling around to the point  that you will continually run into the same one

3) I love the promotion. Great tie-in and inside joke for forum regulars and a great promotion all the way around

1. Me too.

2. Me neither. Some TB's will go missing... the rest will "naturally" float to areas with more caches/cachers.

3. Agreed.

southdeltan

The "spam" referenced is the small paragraph at the beginning of the Weekly Cache Notification emailer introducing the program. We have been adding notes at the top of the mailer for a long time now, some of which are paid advertisements.

If there was any real spam, it cannot be attributed to geocaching.com since no other email about the subject has been sent out other than the paragraph in the Weekly Cache Notification mailer. We also keep the jeep.geocaching.com data completely separate from geocaching.com. We deplore spam and therefore we do not share our member database to anyone. Period.

If you have specific issues or questions with the jeep.geocaching.com web site, I recommend contacting the Rodale address under "contact us" on the contact page of http://jeep.geocaching.com - We do forward comments from the contact address but I assure you that you will have more success if you contact Rodale directly.

I think it's an awesome idea! As far as winning a Jeep goes, well, that would be O.K. as well! :lol:

The saddest day for me was when I had to sell my '85 CJ, I'd love to customize one of these JTB's to look like my "baby" (looking forward to the official word on that)...

Steve

I was tempted to "Markwell" and refer everyone to "Stop the Whoring of GeoCaching", but I decided not to be obnoxious.

It's great that Jeep thinks GeoCaching is a fun and exciting and healthy and thrilling activity. I agree.

I don't, however, agree with FOUR THOUSAND new TB's.

Part of what I love about GCing is the creativity. I've found the COOLEST TBs, from a piece of the World Trade Center complete with CD containing photos and music, to travelling logbooks containing poems. FOUR THOUSAND of the same thing? Oy.

Double oy.

I mean, come on... the "Yellow Jeep" locationless got archived due to taking up too much room on the server... won't FOUR THOUSAND new listings do the same thing?

Would winning a new car be nice? Yes. Would finding a yellow jeep travel bug? Certainly. But I just think it's excessive. Cookie cutter caching is not for me. I love travel bugs as much as the next cacher... but FOUR THOUSAND identical items are boggling my mind.

Will I still cache? Yes. Will I still love it just as much? Yes.

But FOUR THOUSAND?

Hmph.

Well,

If'n you are gonna distribute them to geocaching clubs and organizations, Please, Please, be sure to include C.A.C.H.E. in that distribution! :D

Remember, Jeep has already used Colorado in their commercials. (The one where the girl drops the napkin with the coords on it for the guy to pick up) :lol:

Colorado is home to the American Alps and would be a great place to start a goodly number of these 'Yeller Wranglers'! :D

Contact myself or CO_Admin for mailing info.

CdirtO

Edited for lousy "tipyng"

Edited by CdirtO

I absolutely can't wait for this to start. I'd love to be one of the Jeep winners, as my cache mobile needs replacing, and after my CITO cleanup and the following week attending a caching event in Casa Grade, I have severe Jeep envy now.

At the site of my Adopt-A-Highway sign, I have a CITO ammo can filled with 35mm film containers (ok, half of it is filled) each with a trash bag for CITO anywhere. Due to its location, it would be a great place to release some of the YJTBs, so I'm more than willing to help out with their distribution.

And what exactly has GC.com gotten out of Jeep for this promotion?

Yes, some people will win prizes. Yipee...

Have you secured money for a server that can handle all of the traffic lately? It has gotten a bit out of cont...

Error in Server...Application... :(

Edited by Squealy

Jeremy,

Your legacy of keeping our email accounts private and not-for-sale is commendable and greatly appreciated, but I'm concerned the sweepstake entry form may be deceptive in its presentation.

The phrase on the entry form, "By providing your email address you may receive future communications about updates, incentives and special offers from DaimlerChrysler" with the checkbox next to it would appear to be a typical "opt out" option; however, the official rules don't mention it as a means of opting out of future mailings. Instead, the rules state, "Mailing List Notice: By entering, you may receive future promotions and sweepstakes via mail and/or emails from the Sponsor. If you do not wish to receive future sweepstakes mailings or other promotional offers from these entities, please write to: Opt-out, c/o Ventura Associates, Inc., 1040 6th Ave., Attn.: MS/#VROD1323, New York, NY 10018."

According to this, I have to notify them via "snail mail" that I want to opt out of future mailings and/or emails!

Please find out if the checkbox on the entry page is an opt out function or a deception.

Thanks.

That's legaleze because it is both in print and online. If you uncheck the box when you enter your email address you won't be contacted.

I emailed Rodale about clarifying the checkbox. I'll make the change once I get go-ahead to do so.

Remember, Jeep has already used Colorado in their commercials. (The one where the girl drops the napkin with the coords on it for the guy to pick up)

I remember that commercial, and I'm willing to accept that gal as an alternate prize to the Wrangler.

My wife may think otherwise tho'. :(

:( Well it looks like this summer is going to be a fun one! Too many travelbugs... LOL ok. I have a feeling it won't take long for these travel bugs to wander into peoples private collections. I think it's a great idea overall, but I'm feeling a bit sorry for Jeremy for taking all this abuse :D

Both my brother-in-law and sister work as Jeep Jamboree trail guides every year, and they are really excited about this. Maybe now I can get them into geocaching! :D

Yes, i kinda feel for the guy (Jeremy) too. Its not gonna matter one iota what he or anyone does because there is allways gonna be someone who complains :( . I thought about putting out a cache with a FTF prize of a million dollars, but nooooooo, cant do that because someone will complain about it being too hard for them to find, or too easy since someone found it before them, or etc,, etc,,,. Guess i'll just hold on to my million and squander it now. :D

Its so dang simple: you complainers should NOT enter the contest, should NOT pickup a JTB, and should NOT read this thread if its gonna annoy you this much and cause you ulcers. Case closed, everyone else happy!!! :D

Remember, Jeep has already used Colorado in their commercials. (The one where the girl drops the napkin with the coords on it for the guy to pick up)

I remember that commercial, and I'm willing to accept that gal as an alternate prize to the Wrangler.

My wife may think otherwise tho'. :(

Well, here, you can enjoy her from afar - we won't tell your wife:

Jeep commercials

:D

That's legaleze because it is both in print and online. If you uncheck the box when you enter your email address you won't be contacted.

I emailed Rodale about clarifying the checkbox. I'll make the change once I get go-ahead to do so.

Cool! That was my only concern on entering the contest. :(

For AOL users.

When you fill out the form on the jeep.geocaching.com for notification on when a jeep bug is in your area, the AOL program thinks the verification E-mail is spam so you may want to check your spam folder.

For AOL users.

When you fill out the form on the jeep.geocaching.com for notification on when a jeep bug is in your area, the AOL program thinks the verification E-mail is spam so you may want to check your spam folder.

what should we look for as the address.... like geocacher@geocaching.com? (just an example)

For AOL users.

When you fill out the form on the jeep.geocaching.com for notification on when a jeep bug is in your area, the AOL  program thinks the verification E-mail is spam so  you may want to check your spam folder.

what should we look for as the address.... like geocacher@geocaching.com? (just an example)

The reply comes from jeep@geocaching.com

Well,

If'n you are gonna distribute them to geocaching clubs and organizations, Please, Please, be sure to include C.A.C.H.E. in that distribution! :(

<SNIP>

Contact myself or CO_Admin for mailing info.

CdirtO

Keep in mind that the burden is on you to contact them. I would imagine that CO_Admin may have sent in the needed information, but you need to check with him to make sure. GC.com has a lot to do regarding coordinating this contest and they cannot contact every geocaching association. Make sure you check out this topic posted by hydee in the Organized Geocaching section of the forums:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=70500

The email address to contact them at about getting the Jeep TBugs is listed there.

Just bought a new Jeep to replace my old Ford Explorer last Saturday (reference to the totalled green Explorer photo posted in the cachemobile thread) -- Extra Credit points in the contest, maybe?

No? Oh well.

At least Jeremy can use this with the Jeep people to say that their contest served as some sort of subliminal "buy a Jeep" message to geocachers ...

Trust me, these sweepstakes people know what they are doing.

Try telling that to the folks who were arrested (or nearly so) while trying to score on the Magellan promo last year because they were on private property! :)

Magellan also put one of their caches on USP/FS land. Yeah, they had some idea how of to do it...

I can't wait!

I forget the full details about FL and DC, but they have some pretty strangling rules about sweepstakes, one of which (in FL) is posting the entire sweepstakes rules on printed ads. Try stuffing this onto a printed page.

I would be willing to buy a publication that had the rules printed in it if it meant that I could be elgible to win as a Florida resident. I'm willing to be that the majority of Florida cachers feel the same way.

Can anything be done about this?

I forget the full details about FL and DC, but they have some pretty strangling rules about sweepstakes, one of which (in FL) is posting the entire sweepstakes rules on printed ads. Try stuffing this onto a printed page.

I would be willing to buy a publication that had the rules printed in it if it meant that I could be elgible to win as a Florida resident. I'm willing to be that the majority of Florida cachers feel the same way.

Contact your congressman about changing the laws that are keeping you from being eligible for the contest

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

Contact your congressman about changing the laws that are keeping you from being eligible for the contest

Great suggestion that I might actually do. But that won't change this contest. If one of the main obstacles is having to run a printed ad - then what I'm saying is that shouldn't be an obstacle. The caching community will respond favorable to it and what better way to get outsiders into GeoCaching? Muggles are not going to wander into the forums and begin caching. But if they see an ad - they might just check it out.

I don't want to be left out of the fun....

Great suggestion that I might actually do. But that won't change this contest. If one of the main obstacles is having to run a printed ad - then what I'm saying is that shouldn't be an obstacle. The caching community will respond favorable to it and what better way to get outsiders into GeoCaching? Muggles are not going to wander into the forums and begin caching. But if they see an ad - they might just check it out.

I don't want to be left out of the fun....

I must have missed the part about a print ad. Are you saying Floridians (sp?) can't be in the Jeep promotion because they can't advertise in Florida?

I must have missed the part about a print ad. Are you saying Floridians (sp?) can't be in the Jeep promotion because they can't advertise in Florida?

I'm referring to one of the reasons Jeremy gave about Florida residents not being eligible:

I realize that's only one reason and there are probably many other good reason, but I think that it would stink if the reason Florida residents are eliminated is because Jeep did not want to run ads in Florida.

I'm referring to one of the reasons Jeremy gave about Florida residents not being eligible:

I realize that's only one reason and there are probably many other good reason, but I think that it would stink if the reason Florida residents are eliminated is because Jeep did not want to run ads in Florida.

I get it now. Most other states say "For official rules, send a SASE to..." or "For complete rules, visit www..."

Sorry that Florida wants every ad to list the entire set of rules. That sounds ridiculous.

If you're at a news stand over the next week or so, look for the June issue of Bicycling magazine, Open it to the very center, (easily done because that's where the staples are) and you will see a nice 2-page Jeep/Geocaching ad.

It kinda caught me by surprise, even though I knew that print ads existed.

The guy with the backpack on looks like me when I go out caching. B)

Ohgr

If you're at a news stand over the next week or so, look for the June issue of Bicycling magazine, Open it to the very center, (easily done because that's where the staples are) and you will see a nice 2-page Jeep/Geocaching ad.

The guy with the backpack on looks like me when I go out caching. B)

Ohgr

Any way you can scan and post a picture of the ad?

I ran out and got a copy of Bicycling on my break from work.

It's a cool ad, 2 pages, centerfold. The left side gives all the details about how to enter the contest to win the vehicles as well as how to go find a travel bug (by using geocaching.jeep.com, not GC.com) and the ad on the right side is a print ad I've seen before for Jeep, but the copy has been modified to reflect geocaching.

Note: Geocaching.com is never mentioned in the whole thing, just the word geocaching and the website mentioned earlier.

BUT, I like it :o I think it's great publicity. Likely to show up in all the Rodale magazines I imagine.

:unsure:

Edited by Team Hydnckr

I hope the getting started forum is prepared for the flood of new posts:

"What's the best GPS to find Jeep travel bugs with?"

"How do I find caches with just Jeep travel bugs?"

"How do I log a Jeep travel bug?"

"Why can't I find any Jeep travel bugs near me?"

"Why does it say tadpole under my name?" :unsure:

So, was the earlier question about "Limit 1 entry............... per day" question every resolved or do people simply enter every day in hopes of improving their odds? I'm tempted to do that but it seems odd.

If it says one entry per day, you can enter every day. People do this in sweepstakes all over the internet.

The guy with the backpack on looks like me when I go out caching.  :D

Ohgr

Any way you can scan and post a picture of the ad?

I went out and got the magazine and scanned in the ad. These images probably won't let you read everything, but you get the idea.

Page one of the ad from June 2004 Bicycling magazine

24aa9ffb-00e1-45f7-9e17-0c08d16ec662.jpg

Page two of the ad from June 2004 Bicycling Magazine

f3e66175-bddd-4b10-9704-4d200c0e2080.jpg