Jeep Contest

Interesting. I don't recall giving Jeep permission to link to any of my cache listings.

Did you give Google or any of the other search engines/directories permission? (Besides, Jeeps not linking to your caches, geocaching.com is - check the subdomain JEEP.geocaching.com).

---------

In my initial excitement I thought you had to find a jeep travelbug to enter - but now I see there's a drawing you can sign up for and a SEPERATE race for the jeep TB's. Nice idea. The TB thing will be a fun game. It was great to keep the drawing seperate.

-------

In the email I got it said:

Limit one entry from person/email per day.

Does this mean I can once a day until the drawing?

------

Oh yea - should this go in the Geocaching.com forum? If so please move it - I wasn't sure.

southdeltan

Four thousand Jeep TBs??? That's an awful lot.

I'd like to win another Jeep to go caching in though... As long as it's not a Liberty. B)

Cachew nut, with possibly a few exceptions being argued in the courts, no one needs permission to link to a web page. But that's not really something that needs to be debated in this thread.

The sweepstakes starts on 5/3, so I'm not going to enter until tomorrow just to be safe, it's still 2130hrs here on the left coast.

This is fine.

There are two programs. The first is the sweepstakes for 3 Jeeps that will be given out this year. It's a standard drawing.

The second program is the 4,000 die-cast yellow jeep wranglers with their own custom travel bug attached. There will be a monthly contest starting June 1st through December 25th where a prize will be given for the best photo, and another award for the best essay relating to these found travel bugs.

Jeep were really psyched about promoting the activity and they wanted to create a unique concept that would allow the largest number of geocachers to participate. We discouraged the placement of caches due to the limited accessibility to find them (and the "Mad Mad World" phenomenon we've seen in the past).

We'll be distributing many of the bugs through local organizations, and another 1,000 will be available on the web site for people to request and have shipped to them for free. When we start taking requests, we'll have a section on the http://jeep.geocaching.com web site.

The current goal for these bugs are just to travel around and swap stories, but Jeep is thinking about giving some of them specific goals. If you want to come up with any ideas, I'd love to hear about them and will pass on the info to Jeep.

Rodale, the publishers of many outdoor magazines such as Backpacker, Bicycling, etc. are also involved, and are promoting the idea through these and other magazines.

Cachew nut, with possibly a few exceptions being argued in the courts, no one needs permission to link to a web page. But that's not really something that needs to be debated in this thread.

Yeah i know. I was just trying to get the thread rolling, there were no replies after a full 8 minutes or so B)

Rodale and Jeep are both on the east coast, so everything is Eastern time zone. Feel free and sign up now. I hope one of the old timers here in the forums win.

(No need to send bribes. I don't control the final drawing B))

Jeremy and staff - I want to be the first to say that this is a brilliant idea. I'm not sure who came up with it but I love it. It was very wise to keep the big drawings seperate from the travelbug "contest" (I'm sure most of us remember the Mad mad mad mad mad world results of past contests..).

I'm sure you'll take some flak from the "anti-commercial" people and probably others - but oh well B)

I love it and look forward to participating. I also want to thank you for telling us how they'll be distributed. I like the idea of getting state groups involved as well as a "contest" of sorts for the first 1000 people to sign up to get a bug to set out.

Great work guys!

southdeltan

Cachew Nut's comments aside, I think this is an awesome idea and I agree on the possible causes for the lost yellow Jeep locationless cache. B) Jeep's contest signup is careful to instruct entrants to 'come back' after a date in the future to sign up for the next vehicle to be awarded. I am diappointed today to find that the Jeep 'bugs won't be in the wild for another month as I'd have loved to take one to Hawaii with me (yikes! this week!!!) but they'll be waiting when I get back. B)

Late last year, Rodale approached us about working together with Jeep. Most of the things we do are pretty reactive since we don't have a whole lot of time to spend on pitching ideas.

The archiving of the locationless yellow jeep locationless was actually coincidental, but the color yellow was intentional and meant to be an inside joke to the forum users. It also coordinates with my first yellow eTrex I bought when I searched for my first cache in 2000.

Also, coincidentally, the first cache was placed 4 years ago today.

Also, coincidentally, the first cache was placed 4 years ago today.

HEY! Happy birthday to us! B)

This sounds like a great promotion. Very cool, and the page looks great too. I'm looking forward to hunting down a jeep or two myself. :(

Oh, and by the way, Scoobie....nice cigar. B)

Bret

WHERE IS THAT MISSJENN?!?!?!?! & TARANWANDERER???? & MINISUMO?????

Now they got some serious jeeps!!!!

Soon to come....Ce'Nedra transforming her '97 stock to a big wheel!!! That would be a cool contest, are ya listening, jeep.com??? Jeremy??? Contest to transform a cacher's jeep to look like monster jeep and go for a cache planted in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in the world! That would be way way cool!

Edited by Ce'Nedra
The current goal for these bugs are just to travel around and swap stories, but Jeep is thinking about giving some of them specific goals. If you want to come up with any ideas, I'd love to hear about them and will pass on the info to Jeep.

Sweet!

Gimme a minute to calm down, and then I'll be sending you some thoughts.

That's okay. Having just graduated, I'm looking to move out of Florida anyway. Preferably back to Maryland, if I can find someone who wants to hire me up there.

Anyone know of a company that wants to pay me to GeoCache?

I can't wait until a yellow jeep TB makes it way into our area. This is a very neat promotion and I am sure will bring a flood of people into geocaching!

Since there is not a geocaching organization in NW Kansas, I am hoping to be able to request some of the yellow jeeps to place. I especially want to place one in the Mingo cache which is the oldest cache in existance.

We haven't worked out the distribution details, but for good reason we'd love to see the seasoned cachers get the bugs. That would ensure they make it to caches and not the person's sock drawer.

Once we get close to the 24th when we should receive the die cast Jeeps, I'll announce how people can get them started.

Now My wife is going to just flip!!!!

It was easy to say ... Honey... I need...

1) A GPS -$200

2) A headlamp $25

3) A new flashlight $20

4) Stickers, Travel bugs, Shirts -Somewhere around $100

5) Ammo boxes -$4.95 each

6) Case of AA's - god knows.

7) A Clie to go wireless - $200

8) Upgrade to a 60C -$400

9) Working on the Hiptop/Sidekick

but now I gotta tell her this....

10) Honey, I need to go out and by a new Jeep. --- They are advertising on geocaching now.

Wow, very cool...two of my favorite hobbies together in one promotion. Jeremy, I don't know how much MissJenn has told you, but we're both BIG into Jeeps (and into BIG Jeeps), and our local Jeep club has several active cachers (as Ce'Nedra pointed out above.) If you need help distributing some of these yellow (I believe the official DaimlerChrysler paint name is "Solar Yellow") Jeeps, I/we'd be happy to give you all a hand getting them out there. B)

Sounds like a blast. I do hope that one of the bugs make it to our corner of the wilderness. The magellan fiasco left out anyone that didn't live in a metro area...and that basically sucked.

Kudo's to GC.com on this collaberation. I hope it infuses a few clams for servers and such.

I think every one that owns a jeep should get a couple to give out. That could only be about 1000 of us right.

By the way I own a 1953 Willys jeep. Its my cache mobil unfortunatly its orange not yellow.

Which do you think would look better when I win the Wrangler, another in the same color or a contrasting color like yellow? I'm thinking that green will look better when the two Jeeps are together. <_<

58960*.jpg

Then I just have to win another contest to get it lifted and outfitted like my current Jeep! LOL!

Any hope of opening the competition up to the rest of the planet??

I'm sure the don't just sell Jeeps in the US.

I just wish that FL residents could win. It just figures that there is this GREAT contest, and I can not enter cause I live in Florida. This Sucks. <_<