Jeep Contest

I was also wondering where that thread went. I didn't see it get confrontational or anything that would give the mods reason to pull it.

Only thing is maybe we're not allowed to beg for votes??? (just a guess)

The thread is still there; it just isn't pinned at the top anymore. If you read the initial post, Jeremy defined a two-week period beginning on August 1st for people to make their case. As that time period has passed, he unpinned the topic.

I was also wondering where that thread went. I didn't see it get confrontational or anything that would give the mods reason to pull it.

Only thing is maybe we're not allowed to beg for votes??? (just a guess)

The thread is still there; it just isn't pinned at the top anymore. If you read the initial post, Jeremy defined a two-week period beginning on August 1st for people to make their case. As that time period has passed, he unpinned the topic.

Ahh ok. Thanks for clarifying.

Just agreeing that now since this Jeep thing, possibly Geocaching will get too much exposure. I even saw it on the news recently. He was exaterating a bit (the one who I agreed with) by saying "signs pointing to the geocaches" but I liked the idea of geocaching being sort of a secret thing not many knew about and wouldn't want to see it become well known about.

Just agreeing that now since this Jeep thing, possibly Geocaching will get too much exposure. I even saw it on the news recently. He was exaterating a bit (the one who I agreed with) by saying "signs pointing to the geocaches" but I liked the idea of geocaching being sort of a secret thing not many knew about and wouldn't want to see it become well known about.

Cat's out of the bag.

On the photo contest.........I seem to recall some discussion regarding digitally altered photos not being allowed. Is this true? The problem is that I have two seperate, unaltered photos that I would like to "put together" in a sort of "montage" photo. Would this be allowed? I think the idea could be a winner! :rolleyes:

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Two Geeks and a GPS

New jeep photos are up and nominations for period 3 have begun.

The discussion about digitally altered pictures is moot since there is no mention of it in the rules and the entries seem to support that as well.... loads of digitally altered pix entered.

So who won the last two periods?

It's been 5 months since this Jeep contest started and still no Jeeps have made it inside the Chicago city limits.

Huh? I coulda sworn they sent some your way. Most of the organizations got them in batches from the first 4000, and individual cachers requested and received the last 1000 (if I'm not mistaken). All of them have been shipped, though, so it's now up to ya'll to go pick them up and bring them to the Windy...

Huh? I coulda sworn they sent some your way. Most of the organizations got them in batches from the first 4000, and individual cachers requested and received the last 1000

If you local Org had problems with distribution, or had problems with the Promo itself, its possible many of them are still sitting in a file cabinet somewhere- by choice

of someone involved.

My state has seen very little Jeep bug movement, due to a pretty negative attitude towards them by many

Edited by Pto

One of the Jeeps has ended up in an Isle of Man cache. For your info the Isle of Man is in the middle of the Irish sea between Ireland and England. In case I get to pick it up I had a look at the web site and it appears that only USA and DC can enter the Competition. Pity about that. Have any other Jeeps turned up across the oceans?

How do I find one?

:lol: Welcome to the addiction! :o

I just ran a Pocket Query and the nearest one I can easily locate is about 65 miles from Alpena. It might be a while before you see any up there unless you feel like driving a bit for a toy car with a tag on it... :blink: There -is/was/may never have been- a way to search specifically for them, but I can't remember. The "Notify Me" option from the JEEP main page has never worked for me, so I don't know of any easier way (short of paying for a Premium membership) to serch for them than: If you do a zipcode search, the caches with travel bugs will have the TB icon 21.gif in the listing.

The JEEP icon jeep4x4.gif will appear next to those caches with a YJTB in them.

Unfortunately, if the cache has both a 'regular' and a Jeep TB in it, the page will default to the 'regular' TB icon. You will have to view each page with a TB icon on it in order to determine if it has both.

On the photo contest.........I seem to recall some discussion regarding digitally altered photos not being allowed. Is this true?

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. This is not necessarily true. Altered photos are considered.

Edited by Jeremy
Did we ever find out who it was or if the person is an actual geocacher?

I'm fairly certain that if it was a Cacher, we'd have heard something in the forums by now. Unfortunately, the sweepstakes is open to just about everyone...

We discussed "Will the winner be annouced" some pages back, and while there was never any definite answer, the consensus is that there will be no announcements made. The Sweepstakes page says that if you want a winners list, you must send in a S.A.S.E before some date... Sorry I can't be any clearer than that.

The first winner was most likely not a cacher (at least with an account on this site). The second winner has not been announced to me as of yet. I can't give out the information on the winners but I can at least let you know whether they were a geocacher (or not).

I'm hoping that most knuckleheads won't exert enough energy to catch one, but we have a bunch in reserve if they get too popular.

I don't think I'm a knucklehead. :lol:

Check it out: My daughter (just a wee bit under two years old), absolutely refuses to let me drop the YJTB. Yes, she caches with me (she calls it "Twesser-Hunt-ING!"), and I can't get her to let go of it. We went to one of the more challenging caches in the area involving a decent elevation change (hoping to get her tired, you see), to no avail. She starting bawling the second I postured to drop the YJTB, crying loudly "NO. NO! Jeep TAVEL-BUG!"

Great. :lol:

So, what a problem I have! She has made me a kucklehead who managed to find a YJTB. I will try again this weekend to get it moving along its way.... but is this the type of situation the 1,000 reserve was created to assist? If so, can I get one? :lol:

Ah, by the way, my first post on the forums. Too many opinions, too much emotionally charged folks with the sky falling over little things (my humble opinion), so I've been lurking.

Edited by jeep_dog
Check it out:  My daughter (just a wee bit under two years old), absolutely refuses to let me drop the YJTB.  Yes, she caches with me (she calls it "Twesser-Hunt-ING!"), and I can't get her to let go of it.  We went to one of the more challenging caches in the area involving a decent elevation change (hoping to get her tired, you see), to no avail.  She starting bawling the second I postured to drop the YJTB, crying loudly "NO. NO!  Jeep TAVEL-BUG!" 

That is too precious and 2 :lol: :lol: !!

Maybe you should buy her a REAL yellow Jeep!

Maybe you should buy her a REAL yellow Jeep!

:lol: HA! That's exactly what she was thinking last night when we went to 2005 Premier night and she espied a yellow Wrangler Unlimited (in her opinion, it went very well with the YJTB clutched securely in her left paw).

Let's give her a couple more years before daddy parts with the cache (pun intended) to get her a jeep, too. :lol: Hey, she got a new backpack last weekend to ride on my back when the caching gets rough, that should suffice for a couple of years.

Besides, that would go really bad with my spouse. "Honey, I'm sorry, but I have to buy a new yellow Jeep since our daughter loves the YJTB too much to part with it." Uh-huh. That'll work REALLY well. I shouldn't press my luck, since my wife purchased us a new GPS this week. Imagine that, she supports daughter and daddy caching addiction. :lol:

Edited by jeep_dog
FINALLY I have been able to post the winners of the essays and photos from July through September. They're now on the Jeep 4x4 Travel Bug Contest page.

I finally got a chance to look at the winner list. I have a question on the winner of the essay contest written by THE HONEY WOLVES.

The rules state "Method 2) Complete the official online entry form and submit it, along with an essay of 300 words or less describing your Geocaching experience finding or planting the Jeep 4x4 Travel Bug (the “Essay entry”). Essays over 300 words will be disqualified.

The winning essay has a word count of 425. Why was this essay not disqualified according to the official rules?

It is a good essay, but are the rules there for some and not others?

425 words? That's interesting.

I was just looking for our picture that we entered into the photo contest on 10-31-04 (before the midnight deadline). I don't see the picture in the current contest photo area but I can find it through our log. And the log says we have entered the photo into the October contest. If nobody can see it, how can they vote for it if they think it's worthy? I want to vote for my own photo but it's not in the listing where I can vote for it!

Who do we contact about this?

Team Safari, I don't know if this would keep me from buying a Jeep or not but right now I don't have the funds to buy anything! :unsure: But, one of our daughters loves Jeep's so I'll be buying one for her when she turns 16. If not new, something newer I hope. As for myself, I like Jeep's but they don't do what I need them to do right now. The truck in the link below is our current rig. We pull a 34 foot long 10,000 pound trailer with it. When we don't pull trailers, it's a daily driver. It has a full rear interior, toilet, ice box(s), rear heat, air compressor, DVD's for the kids and we carry dry goods (food) plus water, pop and beer. She can carry 90 gallons of diesel when both tanks are in and full. Range is just over a 1000 miles traveling light. Scales are tipped at about 8,380 pounds empty. And when this is too big, we have a Bronco that's ready for the trails too. It's sporting F-250 suspension with locking axles and 4:56 gearsets. The tires are Mickey Baja's 35x14.50 and the motor breaths through a snorkel at the base of the windshield. It's an awesome river crosser and rock crawler!

The Little Rig