Jeep Contest

Bah, had a look around and the promotion is just for you lucky Americans!
The canadians cannot compete because they have some crazy law against it. I guess that they don't like there citizens winning somthing they cannot tax. :( Everbody else cannot participate becase it costs over 1000 dollars to ship a car to eroupe. ;) As for Florida and DC, who knows?

I think you would find... if they included Canada, they would have to be sure the rules and instructions and everything else was available in French as well. It's a legal deal that's played havok with some other contests I've been involved in online.

I'm not sure how privacy works with announcing winners, but I'll check with Jeep and Rodale.

The Official Rules state in part, that "Grand Prize winners will be notified by overnight mail, and will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility & Liability and, unless prohibited, a Publicity Release within 14 days of date printed on notification."

They also go on to say "For a list of winners (available by 2/28/05) send a self-addressed, stamped, envelope by 12/31/04 to: Jeep 4x4 Cache-In Adventure Sweepstakes Winners, c/o Rodale Inc., 733 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017."

I'm just sitting here waiting for the 'overnight mailman' to arrive at my door. Should be tomorrow, all things considered, since I don't know of any type of overnight mail that picks up on Sunday...

Let's just hope it's a cacher! (it'll figure, some grandma in Bugtussle, OK who just happened to see the ad in 'Cycling' will win the darned thing)

Let's just hope it's a cacher! (it'll figure, some grandma in Bugtussle, OK who just happened to see the ad in 'Cycling' will win the darned thing)

At the very least, let's hope it someone _IN_ Oklahoma, not necessarily BugTussle :-).

BugTussle does exist, BTW, but from what I can tell, no one actually lives there any more. If it's like a lot of these little towns, it was once a stop on the railroad and it's now nothing more than a couple of rotting buildings (if that).

-E

Well, the overnight mail never arrived at my door, so you know it isn't me!

Seriously, though, unless the winner chooses to come forward here in the forums, I doubt that they will release the information. In order to get the list of winners, you have to send a S.A.S.E. to Jeep at this address by 12/31, and you won't get the results until February.

I'm just hoping it's a Geocacher!

I searched for the answer to this question but can't find it here or in the "rules" section of the Jeep 4x4 contest.

Anyway, it does say that you can only enter each contest entry period ONE time, with 1 photo and 1 essay, then you can enter 1 new photo and essay for the next contest period. I understand that BUT what if you find another Jeep 4x4 TB which of course has a totally different number on it? Does that count as another entry meaning that I can enter another (different) photo and essay into the same contest period that I already entered 1 photo and 1 essay into with the first Jeep TB that I found?

Basically I found a Jeep, entered a photo and essay and dropped the Jeep into a cache to go on it's way. Now I have in my possession another Jeep TB with a new number that I need to log. Do I just have to log it and drop it in a cache or do I make a new seperate photo and essay with THIS Jeep TB, enter it in the same contest period as my previous Jeep entries and then drop it in another cache?

I tried to make this post specific and clearly written as I could so I hope everyone understands what I'm saying and asking. I would greatly appreciate any help, I help others as much as possible but now I'm in need...lol. Thank you everyone.

Sincerely,

BabyFox <-- geocaching.com name too and Groundspeak forum name. :P

It sounds to me like you can only enter once for the photo and once for the essay during each entry period no matter how many Jeeps you find. It'd be cool to be able to enter again every time you find a Jeep. I'm guessing they figured it'd be more fair this way--it doesn't matter if you find one or 100 Jeeps--you get the same chance at the contest. Now if you don't find any that's a different story.

This does make me think of another question. Some have entered multiple pictures (and I'm guessing essays as well.) What happens if you enter more than once? Is the first entry used? Is the best entry used (a bit unfair I think)? Are they all discarded?

So many questions... Where's my Jeep?

In reply to those who answered my question (I asked it and got answered in 2 different threads on the forum) and to "Man in the Wild" who I quote part of his reply:

This does make me think of another question. Some have entered multiple pictures (and I'm guessing essays as well.) What happens if you enter more than once? Is the first entry used? Is the best entry used (a bit unfair I think)? Are they all discarded?
I WAS TOTALLY wondering that myself! (First of all, thanks to all who answered me before). Anyway, I have seen people that had 3 photos IN A ROW for the Jeep contest, I think I MAY recall reading that if you submit more than 1 photo and 1 essay that they won't "roll" over to the next contest month period nor will they be saved, the first submission of each (a photo and an essay) only will count and be able to be nominated and finally judged.

PERHAPS (if you noticed this also) perhaps that is why I see some photos from July 31st (on the most previous page) that are posted but DON'T have the "nominate for winner" button like all the others do. Check it out to see what I mean. I will have to check again but I am thinking that the photos that don't have a "nominate" button with them are photos that were entered by the same person in the same contest period so only their FIRST submission counts and gets the nominate button, basically what you guys have said but I noticed a nominate button and lack of one in some cases. It seems that July 31st photos only are the ones with no nomination buttons (most of them) perhaps a few people (out of hundreds or more people) thought there were only 30 days in July (which is too common...lol) and submitted their photo for the next months period a day early by accident thinking it was the 1st of August, so it posts them without penalty aside from you can't vote on them and they are exposed and wasted now. That would make sense on what I am seeing in the gallery. Too bad the rules which I read many times don't have enough information in them. So that's some of my theories anyway, maybe some of you might agree with me, it's off the top of my head, I honetly don't know the truth behind those July 31st photos that can't be voted on and what does happen to duplicate entries? :P

Ok well thanks all and you are all correct when you say ONE PHOTO, ONE ESSAY PER ENTRY, PER ENTRY PERIOD, PER PERSON PER EMAIL ADDRESS. I get it now...lol. I hope some things in my long post above maybe helped even one peron. hehe.

Sincerely, :P

BabyFox

Edited by BabyFox

I don't usually come to the forums but was reading this thread to find out if the Jeep Contest winners had been announced yet. It was my understanding that the winner of the Jeep is (or will be) one of the sweepstakes entries. The photo and essay contest is just for cool "jeep gear". I am pretty sure I read that correctly. Or was I imagining it? Anyway I entered all three and have not gotten anything in the mail yet! :blink: - Chickasaw

<_<I'd like to share with everyone and any of the representatives on here of Groundspeak/the Jeep contest/geocaching.com:

I found it very contradicting or confusing maybe is the correct word to use when I read the Jeep contest rules because it says how the photos and essays will be judged (30% creativity, 30% being able for Jeep to use as an ad, 40% pertaining to your geocaching experience with the Jeep TB), I may have those figures a bit wrong but they're close enough.

My point is that JEEP is having our fellow geocachers nominate the photos and essays that they like and the most nominated ones get to the final where Jeep then chooses the winner(s). My problem is that our fellow geocachers from what I've seen written in these forum, they are NOT nominating based on the same judging guidelines that Jeep will be using for all the finalist's photos. SO, If I made a photo (which I did) that applied to geocaching, was original and creative and Jeep could use as an idea for an advertisement, it would be following the contest rules however my fellow geocachers probably won't nominate it. I say that because from what I've seen/read, they are all nominating their favorite photos based on what is "cute" or what looks good or funny, though a lot of those photos in no way represent an ad for Jeep or are related to geocaching, most are just photos of a cute pet with the Jeep TB next to it or a baby holding up the TB, or the Jeep TB with a giraffe or frog driving it. Those are funny, well done and cute but have nothing to do with what was asked by Jeep and what is in the rules for the judging guidelines.

So how is someone supposed to get their photo nominated and get it to where Jeep gets to see and judge it if people aren't voting based on the rules but only by what they like or their own personal rules you could say.

I feel i worked too hard on the photo I made meaning that Jeep would like it since it follows everything they asked for and it's original but my fellow geocachers may not vote on it, they rather see a puppy driving a Jeep )<-- just making up examples to get my point across). how does that represent your experience with geocaching and make for a good ad for Jeep or your experience while caching for the Jeep TB?

You can't please both the nominating party (us geocachers) and then the Jeep judges because both are choosing pictures using totally differnent guidelines, well the nominations are based on no guidelines it seems.

I feel now I have to make my next photo a photo that everyone on here will love like a beautiful background with great scenery and somethign really cute plus the Jeep TB which gives no meaning nor follows the pecentage guidelines but probably it will get nominated a few times. Then IF that happens, it can't win at the finals because Jeep is going by those percentage guidelines I mentioned above. I have seen only like 2 photos that have "quotes or sayings" in them, show the Jeep TB, send some kind of message pertaining to geocaching and Jeep at the same time and are original, they look great, following all rules as well. That's the type of photo I nominated but I'm probably the only one who did because instead of that, a picture of (for example only) a Jeep in front of a beautiful sunset will get 10 nomintations and how is Jeep supposed to judge that photo in the finals? What does it have to do with geocaching, the Jeep company or an advertisement beside it being a very pretty picture you may want to make a postcard out of or something.

Please don't take this message the wrong way, I'm not insulting anyone intentionally because I too am confused and wanted to originally make my photo with my cat driving the Jeep TB until I realized that's not what they are asking for, it may have got nominations but if it won, how could that be fair?

I am trying to communicate with all of you on here and any representatives too hopefully, to see if the dilemma I'm facing is common and I'm not alone in the way I feel OR is there something I should know like maybe the rules given for the photo entries aren't REALLy going to be followed by Jeep or taken seriously, like they will just choose the "best" looking picture from the nominatoin even if they're all photos that give no message, say nothing, have nothing relating to geocaching and woulnd't make sense at all if they were used as as part of an ad for Jeep or GoeCaching.com, nobody would understand what the photo represents beside it being a "nice" picture.

Do I make a "nice, cute, beautiful" picture or do I follow the rules guidelines and try to incoporate "nice, cute and beautiful" only if i can, into a photo that represents what Jeep wants? It's like either way either you wont get nominations doing it one way or you won't be a winner of the finals by doing it the other way. Any help, feedback, comments that aren't agressive or mean are very much wanted and welcome in reply to this. Tell me how you feel eveyone. Thank you so much for your time in reading this.

I feel i'm torn between pleasing my fellow geocachers for nominations and pleasing the Jeep contest judges for if it makes it to the finals.

Anyone know if there will be an announcement as to who won the Jeep, or will we have to send in a SASE and wait until February to find out?

I don't know the specifics of this sweep. However, in general for many contests there is an affidavit and publicity release that must not only be completed and returned by the potential winner, but also verified by the judging organization or sweeps sponsor. That process typically takes 30 days in my experience. After this has occurred, they are allowed to post/release the winner's name, city and state.

Now my specific question: Will the winner's name and location be provided here on Groundspeak once this has happened?

I don't post much in the forums here because it can consume a lot of my time. I'd rather spend that extra time out caching <_< I am pretty active on the GGA website tho.

Some random info for everyone in this thread... I did notice that this contest was posted on SEVERAL online sweepstaking websites the day it went live in May and began accepting entries. So you not only have Geocachers entering the Jeep drawing, you also have the whole batch of people who have a hobby of entering sweeps. (As info, I happen belong to both groups). There are over 20K registered members on one of the main sweepstaking websites alone, and trust me, these folks are very dedicated, lol!

Also, the reasons why certain states are inelligleble to participate is a matter of state laws. It is very very common to see contests void in FL, RI & NY. Florida, in particular, has very specific things that have to be done/worded/submitted before a contest is valid for state residents. This is time consuming and many promoters choose not to go to the trouble. Thus, FL is excluded from at least 30% of promotions and contests across the board (that is a lowball percentage too).

I also saw where someone was speculating as to why this contest was US-based only. It has nothing to do with delivering a vehicle overseas. In many vehicle contests the transportation, federal, state and local taxes are ALL the responsibility of the winner. I speak from first hand experience on this one, as I have won a vehicle in a contest before. Sometimes you get lucky and the prize fulfillment is done through your local Crysler/Plymouth (as an example), but that is typically mentioned in the contest rules somewhere. At any rate, delivery fees do not apply such a case. In addition, just like the complexity of various state laws, laws for individual countries are just as unique and pain-staking for promoters. I see very few contests that are worldwide. Most are US-only or US & Can.

One other random opinion. I personaly thought it would be fun to see how many of the 5000 YJTBs I could find. So when I find one in a cache, I log it. Sometimes, I leave it in the cache (just jotting down the tag #) and sometimes I don't. I didn't see any rules where this practice would be a problem, and as long as I place the TBs back out quickly, I don't think it is/should be. JMHO.

Finally, to BabyFox, the way I understand the rules of the photo and essay portion of the contest is this... You many enter as many photos and essays as you want during each period, however only ONE OF EACH can be nominated per period. So say you have two photo entries in the same entry period and they both get nominated a bunch -- More than any other persons. Only one will make final judging. The other will be disqualified. Does that make sense?

The rules were unclear to me on whether or not each photo/essay submission had to be a different YJTB#. So for complience sake, I have assumed they do need to be. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to disqualifying yourself in a contest, IMO & experience. If indeed the case, those who want to enter a photo and/or essay in each period, will need to find at least 6 YJTBs during the entire promotion. You see, you can take your pic or write your essay and NOT submit it until the next entry phase. Release the YJTB back out for another cacher quickly, but in doing so be sure to note the TB tag # cause you'll need it to submit your entry later on. This is the process I am following because this portion of the rules is very very vague.

I don't know how this contest is being handled regarding multiple entries from the same IP address, but I do know that many OTHER contests will disqualify ALL entries if they see the same IP address in the same timeframe.

As a side note, I don't think I'd mention that you're entering for other people either. I'd have kept that info to myself.

Some sweeps disqualify entries based on IP address? IP address does not necessarily equate to an individual... how about an office with 200 employees, all behind a NAT enabled firewall and thus all appearing to have the same IP address. Or how about the poor dialup user who happened to get the same DHCP assigned address as a previous dialup user that entered the contest? Eliminating by IP address doesn't seem to be all that legitimate of a filter.

I'd be more inclined to want to know the specifics from the sweeps company regarding the handling of technical glitches... there was a day in which I tried to enter the contest and received an error message instead of the "Thank you" message. I tried again three more times and got the same error message. I then made a post in the Web Site forum and was told by Jeremy that the server had actually accepted my entries but the emailer was down and generating errors when I made the entries. Does that mean the sweeps company is going to wipe out all of my entries (not just the repeats)? Jeremy thinks not, but can it be proven? It is a very ambiguous area where the rules are concerned.

BTW, my wife and I are both entering seperately from behind the same firewall... I wouldn't mind knowing if there is an IP address elimination going on with the sweeps.

Before anyone gets all uptight, note the use of the word *many* above. That doesn't mean all :P

There are also *some* that only accept 1 entry per day and delete all repeat entries received from same person/computer. Was just passing along what I have come across in 2 years of sweepstaking (and winning a car).

Heck, some mornings if I don't enter early enough in certain contests, I get messages saying "you already entered today" and I didn't. Those types are definitely only allowing 1 entry per IP.

But FWIW, I do believe there is a way to differentiate between same computer and same IP. Again, I don't know the specifics of this sweep from the admin-side. Jeremy probably doesn't even know. A lot of this stuff is handled by an independant judging orgainization much of the time.

Edited by AtlantaGal

It's an official sweepstakes company that handles trimming the list and picking winners. They, for example, remove entries submitted by automated tools, and check for duplicates each day to remove one unfair advantage over another.

I also audited the winner and the individual posted entries on different days and the person didn't use an automated tool.

Jeremy,

In the rules about no use of an automated tools or "means", does that mean that all photos can't be edited at all with photoshop or picture-it, etc...? There's one small line in the contest rules and the only one I could find but people on another forum are saying "Why are there words on people's photos and why are there Jeeps on the moon, etc... and that the photos can't be edited." What does automated tools or programs mean? Here's the contest rules line I copy/pasted that I don't quite understand and many other don't as well I think:

Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means are void.
Also what is script and macro and automated means, and how does that apply to our photos and essays basically is my question. Thanks so much.
Jeremy,

In the rules about no use of an automated tools or "means", does that mean that all photos can't be edited at all with photoshop or picture-it, etc...? There's one small line in the contest rules and the only one I could find but people on another forum are saying "Why are there words on people's photos and why are there Jeeps on the moon, etc... and that the photos can't be edited." What does automated tools or programs mean? Here's the contest rules line I copy/pasted that I don't quite understand and many other don't as well I think:

Also what is script and macro and automated means, and how does that apply to our photos and essays basically is my question. Thanks so much.

It appears as if you are talking about two different things.

The sweepstakes where the prize is a real Jeep is the one that you cannot have...

The contest where Jeep gear (worth about $30) is being given away to the best photo and essay by a nomination process is a totally different beast. There may be rules about not photoshopping your photo entry, but I've not seen it. Since part of the scoring for the photos includes the ability for it to be used in Official Jeep Promotions, I doubt any photoshopped entry will make it far.

This is just my take on it, so you may wish to wait for an official word.

Sounds like we are getting excluded here in Florida and in DC. Maybe as a joke we should give the yellow jeep TB's a blanket mission to travel to DC or Florida. :lol: LOL Seriously though, I'm stationed in Florida, but my drivers license is from Mo, am I still excluded?

What happened to the other thread that had also been pinned to the top?? It was for the Picture & Essay contest concerns.

& My picture is still not on the YJTB gallery page yet!

Here is the picture I am talking about.

54d2cca9-ea27-49a9-8064-ccee07b90344.jpg

Is Geocaching.com posting these to the gallery or is Jeep? Is there a problem with my entry??

I am just curious...not stressing,,,yet... :)

Shirley~

O.K. Now I am STRESSED!

I sent an E-mail to the 'contact us' & have posted here....nothing.

Is anyone listening???

I am asking if I did something wrong & no one has replied. No picture in the gallery either. :P:lol::huh:

Oh, well, I guess all of the time I made John drive me to someplace very special to take the picture was all in vain. It looks like no one is interested in the YJTB contests anymore.

................................................................................................

It's an official sweepstakes company that handles trimming the list and picking winners. They, for example, remove entries submitted by automated tools, and check for duplicates each day to remove one unfair advantage over another.

I also audited the winner and the individual posted entries on different days and the person didn't use an automated tool.

Automated tool?? What's that?