Found A Spot, Need Advice

Boot Group

I found a public property in my town where I would love to place a cache. I haven't hidden a cache yet, so I'm looking for advice. I've visited the spot a number of times in the past month to figure out where I could hide a cache. It's a small park, yet it's a nice place to visit. I can't find a place to hide a cache because it is a place that is visited regularly, year round. In the winter there is very little cover. I'm thinking it's a place that I should turn into a "virtual cache"due to its size. The site has enough information on a message board that I could easily ask questions for a virtual cache. I've been reading the forums for months now, and it seems like cachers normally like to find caches rather than just finding virtuals. So, should I continue to look for a hiding spot, or should I just go ahead and try to get it approved as a virtual?

It is difficult to get a virtual cache approved these days. Traditional caches are preferred whenever possible. I suggest to keep looking for a good site. You may consider hiding a micro if there isn't a good location for a regular sized cache container.

If you settle for just any spot, because you want to hide a cache there, you run two risks. You could end up hiding a cache that will be muggled easily, which makes nobody happy. You could also end up hiding a cache that you're not happy with. Not every location is meant to have a cache hidden there. Some places that are wonderful to visit, may pose problems for having a cache there.

Keep looking and the right spot will eventually come :D

Like others have said, think about doing a micro. Velcro, magnets, and matching paint can go a long ways on blending them in. Start looking at those benches, gazeebos, and light poles in the park and I'm sure you'll find a spot in no time.

I think a virtual wouldn't fit in this instance, because there really wouldn't be anything to differentiate this park from hundreds of other parks. When I go to virtuals I want to be brought there for something special.

--RuffRidr

Consider using the sign as an offset with the cache placed elsewhere. Is there another park, or wooded area nearby where you can hide a cache?

Then you can use numbers, or letters on the sign to provide offset coordinates for the real cache, or it can be as simple as: "if the sign says no parking, then go to mmn.dd.ddd", "if the sign says no dogs, then go to mmm.dd.ddd".

Boot Group I had a similar problem when I hid my leap day cache. Nice park just not alot of hiding spots. I found a tree with a nice hollow spot at eye level and hid a micro there. This park gets lots of people walking through it after school lets out and it's still there. I hope this helps.

Thank you all for you thoughtful comments. I will go back soon and look "up", "around", and consider micros. There's actually not very many micros in my area. It's more than a park, it's a historical site. The message board mentioned explains the historical significance, so if all else fails I may still try it as a virtual. I think I may try to e-mail a cacher from my area that comes to my town a lot for advice as well. Again, thanks to all who answered!