Garmin Vista Slow To Acquire Satellites

We own two GPS units and we had both of them with us today. We turned both of them on and let them get a lock on our location. Then, as a test, we turned them both off and on again in a few minutes. The Gecko sprang to action and determined our position in less than a minute. The Vista picked up and lost satellites and after 5 minutes still had not located our position. Both had WAAS enabled and were set the same way. Is there something I'm missing here? Is there a reason for this great disparity in function? Do I have to upload new software to the Vista? It is several years old and the Gecko is much newer. I always use the Gecko because it is so light to carry. It is a bit harder to read the digits, but I really like it. If it didn't have dumb games built in it would be near perfect!

I was caching friday and we had 2 etrex yellows and 1 vista. The guy with the vista was having trouble locking on after standing still for several minutes. We started walking towards the trail head when I turned on the second yellow and it locked in less than 30 seconds.

I would update the firmware on the VISTA -- unless you have the newest already. Could it be that the Almanac data needs to be acquired??? Try leaving the Vista stationary for 30 mins. or so locked on -- maybe it will get more data so it can lock-on easier.

Other than that, Antenna may not be as good on the Vista (or faulty).

Bozz

I would update the firmware on the VISTA -- unless you have the newest already. Could it be that the Almanac data needs to be acquired??? Try leaving the Vista stationary for 30 mins. or so locked on -- maybe it will get more data so it can lock-on easier....

Bozz

I agree with Bozz on both accounts. Over the years I've had several GPS units get stubborn. A good 30 "baking" in clear view of the sky with a good constellation always seems to work.

Update the firmware, reset the GPS, then leave it sitting out for 20 to 30 minutes out in the open. If i turn on the gps a minute or so before driving from the house, it will not get a good signal for several minutes, because of the movement of my position, and the GPS's switching of satellites as i drive. This creates a poor satellite lock. Ive done it so many times. So the best solution is doing an initial lock after resetting, in a stationary position, for up to a half hour.

Edited by GOT GPS?