Anyone Up For Night Sweats?

avroair

Okay... this is the tentative plan:

13th May, which I believe is a Thursday. The parking area only has space for 2-3 spots and the road is highly residential so maybe we should carpool to the location. Any suggestions?

Scoobydoers --- how bright do our flashlights need to be?

We should probably form up around 6:30-7:00 then head over to the parking spot.

If people are planning to do unfinished business first, (same parking area and almost the same cache start) they should figure 1.5-2 hours to get that one finished.

Sounds neat.... if I'm not in San Diego. I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Where is this anyway... do I have to leave work early or should I just call in sick and cache all day before heading to this one? <_<

And if Skully & Mulder et al. show up, can they at least let us look for it a little before they all yell out "I found it!". Those darn girls!

And if Skully & Mulder et al. show up, can they at least let us look for it a little before they all yell out "I found it!". Those darn girls!

I would think that is the least of our worries, the last group to team together to find it, Hart scared the sweaty daylights out of, and I quote:

"Hartclimbs: I felt like a kid on Christmas morning watching them approach GZ, then got concerned when some of the party headed the wrong way (toward where I'd left tracks!!!). I heard BrianSnat find the footprints and figured it was high time to say hello! The million candlepower portable lantern was awfully handy for pointing out reflectors!"

"NAtureBoy: Suddenly we were blinded by an intense beam of light and heard "NJ fish and game warden, can I see some ID please?" Fortunately it was only Hartclimbs who decided to lay in wait in some nearby brush (good thing we didn't cancel the hunt otherwise he may still be out there).

"Brian Snat's response cannot be posted due to viewer discretion"

"Kber I heard some excitement up the hill. Then I saw a beam of light that any prison yard would be proud to have. It was HartsClimbs laying in wait with his portable sun of a flashlight."

Night Sweats

There is a bridge crossing from parking area to UFB and Night Sweats. Night Sweats starts to the right near Route 24 on a small overlook, whereas UFB is all over the area :ph34r: What if we meet at the overlook between 7:30 and 8:00 - Sunset is at 8:02 p.m.

Let's wait on the date until 5 days out. The weather report is more reliable then. Right now rain is forcasted for the 13th... but since they are not very accurate that far out... 12th or 13th, put it to a vote.

I am free both days. <_<

Okay looking at the weather and talking with some of the cachers about conflicting schedules etc.

Night Sweats Group Jamboree

NIGHT SWEATS

DATE: Wednesday, May 12th

TIME: 8 p.m. (be there at 5:30 if you want to complete Unfinished Business First. It should take you about 2 hours to complete.

Meet at the starting spot: N40 45.275 W 074 22.746

Parking coordinates below:

N40 45.607 W074 23.158

NOTE Parking is in a quiet residential dead-end so please be discrete. Follow the path into the woods. You cannot access the cache from Route 24, or park anywhere along Route 24, despite the close proximity to the cache site.

WHAT TO BRING: Flashlights are ESSENTIAL! Snacks and water.

Look forward to seeing you there, (if I can secure a ride by then!)

Cool! Now how do I make it an event?

As Keystone Approver informed me, the act of catchers getting together and going on a cache hunt does not qualify as an event.

Is there a specific (documented) set of criteria for a "gathering of geocachers" to have it considered an Event?

How is an organized/planned gathering different then say Wings & Beer Night? If Hart comes and drags along a keg, does that count? What if we go for wings & beer after, does that make it an event in addition to the cache?

Fill me in!!

Edited by Team DEMP
Cool! Now how do I make it an event?

As Keystone Approver informed me, the act of cachers getting together and going on a cache hunt does not qualify as an event.

Here's the description of an Event Cache per the Caching Guidelines at http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#event

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings for geocachers by geocachers to discuss geocaching.  After the event has passed, the event cache is archived.  While a music concert, a garage sale, a ham radio field day or an orienteering event might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the primary focus of these events is not geocaching and the primary attendees are not geocachers.  In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches.  Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a day-long group cache hunt that also involves a seminar and dinner, only a single event cache covering all components should be submitted.

So, an event is not a gathering for the sole purpose of an organized hunt, but it is a gathering for geocachers by geocachers to discuss geocaching. Hmm... so if we didn't go in search of a cache, yet we all met to discuss going in search of a cache, that's an event? :mad:

I stopped by (ok, I rushed out without being showered) a new local cache that was just made available this morning - Rocket Man - and picked up my first GeoCoin. I'll bring it along to the group hunt and I can pass it along to anyone that hasn't had one yet. Its goal is to make it first to the Air & Space Musuem in Washington DC, so you'll need to move it along (south) and not keep it.

If you don't have a geocoin found yet, here's a good opportunity to get one logged under your account. The specific mission of this geocoin is at Rocket Man's 2004 USA Geocoin

David

So is Hart really bringing a Keg and some food! I like food too.  :lol:

If it takes us a long time to find it, he'll have downed most of the keg he carried in waiting for us to get close enough to scare!

I'm gonna try to make both caches... need to leave work early and change on the way. Forecast for Weds - partly cloudy and fairly mild. Hopefully the forecast holds true. I'm really looking forward to seeing some new folks that I haven't had the pleasure of meeting before.

Note: On Unfinished Business: Cut the blue wire...the blue wire!

Anyways... just in case you didn't already know the traveling cache: Shen Ku is no longer there (despite it probably appearing on your mapping software).

The parking coordinates i posted were wrong. I have updated them.

Edited by avroair

NIGHT SWEATS

DATE: Wednesday, May 12th

TIME: 8 p.m.

WHERE: Meet at the starting spot: N40 45.275 W 074 22.746

PARKING: N40 45.067 W074 23.158

NOTE: Parking is in a quiet residential dead-end so please be discrete. Follow the path into the woods. You cannot access the cache from Route 24, or park anywhere along Route 24, despite the cache's close proximity

WHAT TO BRING: Bug repellant and a flashlight (a big one, a really, really big one).

NOTE the parking coordinates have changed! I misinterpreted them (again). The correct ones are posted above. :lol:

:D