Autorouting With The Garmin 60c

I don't know about the 60c, but Metroguide can upload turn by turn directions to the Legend. That GPSr seems to have issues when a route doubles back on itself, however. For some reason it wants to take a "shortcut" in the reverse direction.

Have you transferred the metroguide maps for your area to the gpsr? If not, you will only get the main roads that are in the basemap. Even with the detail maps loaded, you will still only get straight line point-to-point routing. You need MG 4 or City Select in order to get autorouting which will follow the road.

It still doesn't work right. It's ok on the main roads but when it gets to the side roads it just draws a straight line. Why does it do this???? frustrating.....

I noticed something similar for my autorouting, but it seems to depend on the number of waypoints rather than the type of road. Short routes are displayed correctly on highways, rural roads and side streets. When the number of turns gets large [>16 or so], routes are displayed as straight line segments between waypoints, no matter what the road type. I thought it was a software glitch, so I make multiple routes to get around it. Is this only a problem with Metroguide V5? Did V4 behave correctly?

I've noticed the same thing with Metroguide 5. I can calculate a turn-by-turn route with directions in Mapsource, but then when I transfer it to my 60c, it just uploads my main waypoints and uses the 60c to recalculate the route. But without City Select, I think it only uses the basemap for the auto-routing. That's why you're ending up with a route that is fine for highways, but not for sideroads.

It's too bad it won't transfer the route with directions that is calculated in Mapsource.

Funny, because my GPS 60C wanted to make a left turn from I-96 to I-275 for instance. I found that I had to work with manual routing on the MetroGuide 5 on the GPS 60C, so i caved in and bought the Auto-Kit for the 60C.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Hmmmmmmmm... That's bizarre! :D There is a default setting on the Legend and eMap that needs to be changed to get the routes to follow the roads on those units. I played around with my 60C and MetroGuide for a while, and I'll be [darned]! The best I can do is a point-to-point straight line. If I get the 60C to autoroute, then yes, it'll follow the main roads using its basemap. I wouldn't think that you'd have to get the GPSr to do anything except show the route properly. I just checked Garmin's Web site for the 60C - MetroGuide USA 5 is not listed as one of the supported maps. :D

I guess you're gonna have to spring for City Select :D:D:D

What software version is everyone running on their 60C(S)? I know for a fact that transferring a MapSource generated auto route and setting the GPS to navigate this route "Off Road" resulted in what woodworkerjason is wanting to do...I'm running 60C(S) version 3.20 and am suspecting this is a bug in this version. I reverted back to MapSource v5.4, generated a route and dumped it to the 60C(S) but this bug still exists so it looks like it's in the 3.20 version. I don't really feel like reverting to an earlier version on the 60C(S) to find out for sure though...but I know this worked just fine before... :D

Edited by SergZak
It still doesn't work right. It's ok on the main roads but when it gets to the side roads it just draws a straight line. Why does it do this???? frustrating.....

I noticed something similar for my autorouting, but it seems to depend on the number of waypoints rather than the type of road. Short routes are displayed correctly on highways, rural roads and side streets. When the number of turns gets large [>16 or so], routes are displayed as straight line segments between waypoints, no matter what the road type. I thought it was a software glitch, so I make multiple routes to get around it. Is this only a problem with Metroguide V5? Did V4 behave correctly?

I have the same problem with my 76S and MG v6 Europe

Metroguide v4 supports autorouting and it works fine on my 60cs. MG5 does not. Therefore, you will not be able to use the "Follow Road" setting with MG5. If you try to do this, it will follow the basemap roads because those are the only roads that it is capable of following. At the point where you have gotten as close as the basemap will get you, it will draw a straight line to your destination. What you will need to do to avoid this with an MG5 route is select "off-road" and follow the straight line, point-to-point route.

Edited by Geo Leo