Wifi Spots

gm100guy

The problem with doing this is that it is illegal to use or intercept radio waves in Canada that are not intended for your use. Starting a list of free spots would just be just begging for problems.

You might argue that people would secure their access points if they don't want people to access them freely. However people are stupid. I recently complete a design study of WiFi and as part of it I completed a 'war drive'. I couple of access point owners were easy to track down, boys do some of these people get pissed when you point out that you can access their network from the parking lot.

Maybe a better idea would be to start a list of WiFi hotspots that are owned by cacher's who are willing to share their connection. Somebody could put the GC number in their SSID and then if someone finds it they can go to the cache page to get the password/WEP key.

Hey Cache Tech, would you approve a virtual cache that consisted of a WiFi hotspot?

Sure I could set up a simple page with that if people want to email them to me at pdops@shaw.ca.

I was able to make good use of the library at Chilliwack BC while on holidays last year. It's was nice to be able to update things (especially travel bugs) while away from home.

As a start I guess addresses and any fees (if charged) will be required.

Edited by PDOP's

That sounds like a good start.

We could just give you the coords and a password for each wifi spot. Maybe it would be good if we could have the link go to a map so users could see where the general location is.

(Link removed:Cache-tech)

Could we also have a loc file that could be downloaded right into the gps.

:D

Edited by cache-tech
The problem with doing this is that it is illegal to use or intercept radio waves in Canada that are not intended for your use. Starting a list of free spots would just be just begging for problems.

You might argue that people would secure their access points if they don't want people to access them freely. However people are stupid. I recently complete a design study of WiFi and as part of it I completed a 'war drive'. I couple of access point owners were easy to track down, boys do some of these people get pissed when you point out that you can access their network from the parking lot.

Maybe a better idea would be to start a list of WiFi hotspots that are owned by cacher's who are willing to share their connection. Somebody could put the GC number in their SSID and then if someone finds it they can go to the cache page to get the password/WEP key.

Hey Cache Tech, would you approve a virtual cache that consisted of a WiFi hotspot?

This would be a Locationless cache as it would be listing sites, also we could be pointing cachers to possible locations that they may not have permission to use the web. Groundspeak would have to approve such a cache due to the possible legal implications. I don't think such a cache could be listed.

That sounds like a good start.

We could just give you the coords and a password for each wifi spot. Maybe it would be good if we could have the link go to a map so users could see where the general location is.

(Link removed:Cache-tech)

Could we also have a loc file that could be downloaded right into the gps.

:D

As mentioned above, listing sites to access and intercept radio waves for your use is illegal. Posting a link to a site that does the same is no different, the link was removed.

If I were to change the SSID on my hotspot to GCXXXX, and post the coordinates and password on geocaching.com, then that would indicate that I accept other people to use my Wifi hotspot. Nothing illegal for my hot spot because people that access it are the intended recipients.

I could even create a special page on my gateway so that people could log their visit and hence it would be more of a traditional cache.

The only that is stopping from doing this is that my hotspot will be moving shortly and in its current location, it is difficult to access from outside the building unless you are sitting on the bench directly below my balcony.

I like the idea of a list of libraries or locations with free internet access. I wanted to start a list in a camping forum at one point in time about a list of free campgrounds or places to sleep over in your trailer. I have a free community campground near me,so I wondered if anyone else did too ?

My college library has a few free access internet stations.

The city of Fredericton in New Brunswick is building a Wifi network for public use. They got a grant and quite a bit of the downtown is going to be covered. Their intention is to provide the public with access in key areas (airport, downtown outside restaurants, cafes) and also for their employees to gather data in the field more easily.

Do a Google search for "Fredericton Wifi". Sorry I don't have time right at the moment to post a link but the city site has some info.

I haven't tried it yet so I can't vouche for it.

Dave

Oh yes: Gotta plug my own city:

Do a search around E3B 5G4 and you'll find many fine caches! Come visit the St. John River Valley this summer and enjoy New Brunswick ( OMG... I think I just came up with another tourism add campaign!!)

Edited by davwil

Rumour has it that it's easier to drive around and find open networks rather than take the time to look them up in advance. Assuming you're in a major city that is. I know people who've travelled to Las Vegas, Seattle, etc. and simply driven around residential neighbourhoods until they hit on an open network. Each time it took less than 30 seconds. Not that I would do this of course. :rolleyes: But I did hear that it might be legal in the US - or atleast a grey area (by not password protecting your network you are by default giving permission for people to use it).

Edited by Team Giblert
Rumour has it that it's easier to drive around and find open networks rather than take the time to look them up in advance.

Oh its no rumor. Its fact. Some Wi-Fi cards automatically log you into Access Points that have their SSID set to "default", "wireless" or simply left blank. My Orinoco card is one such beast.

This is good and bad. Good because it makes it easy for the user to get their computer talking on the network. The not-so-good part is that most users of Win98/2k/XP have gaping holes in the security of their computer that can be easily exploited. For instance, if you are sharing a wireless network with others, you can easily identify the IP address of their computer with freebie tools from the Internet. Once you do this its not difficult to connect to their computer, unbeknownst to them, and browse their hard disc. Once there you can steal files or if you are nefarious, delete crucial files or perhaps deposit something nasty on their system. This can also work against you as the computer you're using can be hacked into by someone else on the same network, perhaps the owner of the Access Point!

Another thing I've come across are what are know as honey pots. These are wireless APs that are set up specifically to trap war-driving types out to plunder files. They show an open system with all sorts of gee-whiz looking files that the unsuspecting person downloads, runs and inadvertently infects their system.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

I found this posted on a local newsgroup the other day:

Drove down Mcleod Trail South.  From 17th ave to Southland.  8.4 Km

>> detected  136 WiLan networks.  Of those 92 were unencrypted.  That is, I was

>> able  to connect to their wireless  adapter and achieve internet connection.

>> Of those  92, 16 are without any firewall or WEP protection, with wide open

>> ip's.

Hmmm...methinks this person is mixing terms. WiLAN is a company that makes wireless gear - none which is Wi-Fi. If he meant Wi-Fi that's fine but he says that 92 were unencrypted yet 16 had no WEP?!? This is akin to saying the same thing. There are indeed wireless networks out there that are open, but have nothing to do with the Internet - think inventory wands here.

The problem with doing this is that it is illegal to use or intercept radio waves in Canada that are not intended for your use.

Wrong.

In Canada, it is perfectly legal to "intercept" any radio waves which require an antenna (all). The stipulation is that the data collected may NOT be used for personal gain. http://www.legal-rights.org/rulings/dbranton.html

On a related note:

Connecting (even by accident) to someones WiFi gateway without their expressed permission is an offence. A precident was set back in 2002 in Toronto which makes it equivalent to wire-taping - loads of jail time for that. Don't bother!

As a former "stumbler" I can verify that there were well over 700+ WiFi spots in Ottawa (all mapped and catalogued by yours truly). The number is likely larger now.

In terms of open access to cachers:

Legality issues may prevent this. Any activities by the (remote) user are logged under your connection and as such you are liable for their activities (think unlawful use). The only way this would be viable is if you are an IT nerd with lots of Linux experience - you could set up a VERY tight firewall with a SQUID tunnel that only allows gc.com queries. I think I just might tackle this one B)

In Canada, it is perfectly legal to "intercept" any radio waves which require an antenna (all). The stipulation is that the data collected may NOT be used for personal gain. http://www.legal-rights.org/rulings/dbranton.html

Agreed. Just wanted to add that this law is seldom enforced. Think tow-truck drivers with scanners here! :) I believe also you may not divulge what you've heard to another person. Any intercepted transmissions are also not admissable evidence in court, unless one of the parties involved was aware that the communications were being monitored (hmmm, could this be where the ever-popular "police received an anonymous tip" you hear about in courtrooms comes from?). This is true of telephone conversations also, of course. Every time you call somewhere and there's a message, "Your call may be monitored for quality assurance", this really means, "Your call IS being recorded so you'd better watch what you say cuz it could come back and bite you!!!". B) Insurance companies just love this new tool. There are also some interesting contradictory federal laws to do with communications but I won't go into that unless someone is really interested.

What this all has to do with Geocaching I'm not sure, but just thought I'd share my wizdumb!

Cheers!

C-A

I have seen first hand the effect of "WarDriving" or searching for open WiFi networks with various handheld devices.

It is very dangerous. Much worse than cell phone use (which also annoys me, unless you use a headset)

However, compiling a list of WiFi spots is another example of 'too-much technology". Want to log your find... go home.

As for the comment of "This call may be recorded for quality assurance purposes" while it is an interesting scare tactic, it is a fairly empty threat.

You cannot record a person's voice for use in a court without their permission, and to be honest, you cannot record their voice period unless they give permission. To try to cover the liability under the 'be warned, we are taping you' method won't hold up as permission was never secured.

Course, I'm not stupid enough to say something on our work telephone system that would come back to haunt me, indirectly. If they want to get you for something, they will, inspite of what the law might be.

Back to the actual topic..... What is so IMPORTANT that you need a list of 'temporary' network connection points?

Geocaching is supposed to be about getting outdoors, and if you want that level of technology in your Geocaching then I truely do feel sorry for you.

[8D] The Blue Quasar