Map330 map out of alignment

Guest bdixson

Guest ClayJar

The maps are not perfectly aligned with the Real World. I guess a reason is probably that the maps are stored in simplified vector form (they choose to fit a lot more with slightly less detail than to fit a lot less with slightly better detail). The sources of the maps they digitized could also be a factor (there's a road I was on last weekend that has been moved about 100ft from where it used to run, and the MapSend datailed maps don't reflect that). Add into that GPS error and you've got a recipe for being a bit off, but if you use the road maps mostly for driving, 100ft is really no big deal (I say that from several months of long trips with my MAP 330).

Nothing to worry about, you've done nothing wrong. The street maps aren't perfect, but I dare say they're priceless when you're out in the middle of a strange state and wanting to find your way to a cache somewhere off the beaten Interstates (experience speaking again). icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

The maps are not perfectly aligned with the Real World. I guess a reason is probably that the maps are stored in simplified vector form (they choose to fit a lot more with slightly less detail than to fit a lot less with slightly better detail). The sources of the maps they digitized could also be a factor (there's a road I was on last weekend that has been moved about 100ft from where it used to run, and the MapSend datailed maps don't reflect that). Add into that GPS error and you've got a recipe for being a bit off, but if you use the road maps mostly for driving, 100ft is really no big deal (I say that from several months of long trips with my MAP 330).

Nothing to worry about, you've done nothing wrong. The street maps aren't perfect, but I dare say they're priceless when you're out in the middle of a strange state and wanting to find your way to a cache somewhere off the beaten Interstates (experience speaking again). icon_smile.gif

Guest James and Khanh

I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn't expect that great of detail from the software. Your 330 is fine.

But you have bought yourself a great unit nonetheless. Good luck!

Guest bdixson

Thanks for the replays, I kind of figured it was the nature of the beast. I've been researching GPSRs for the past couple weeks and just needed a reality check. My daughter and I are going to do our first Geocashing today.

Thanks,

bdixson

Guest ClayJar

Enjoy the hunt, and if you find any *really* good caches around there, talk about it. I'm close enough that I might make a run through that area if there are any really good ones. icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

Enjoy the hunt, and if you find any *really* good caches around there, talk about it. I'm close enough that I might make a run through that area if there are any really good ones. icon_smile.gif

Guest Tronapoke

My 330 does the same thing at home, about 200 ft. off from where the map shows my house to be. I'm usually within 12 ft. of the geocaches I've found so I assume the error to be in the map.