A Query Pocket Queries

I have just became a Premium Member. I filled out the pocket query form and it came back that nothing was found. Now that was queer as my stats aren't that good and I used co-ords as the point of search. I tried several times but it only allows 5 attempts a day.

So basically I have paid my dues but can't get the service. Although I think I done everything right. It is possible that I'm not doing something important.

Also which programme should I download for putting the data (when I get it) onto my Palm III PDA. I know it's not state of the art but it does the job :) .

So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I have just became a Premium Member. I filled out the pocket query form and it came back that nothing was found. Now that was queer as my stats aren't that good and I used co-ords as the point of search. I tried several times but it only allows 5 attempts a day.

So basically I have paid my dues but can't get the service. Although I think I done everything right. It is possible that I'm not doing something important.

Also which programme should I download for putting the data (when I get it) onto my Palm III PDA. I know it's not state of the art but it does the job :) .

So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

First of all, you can only schedule five caches to run today.

But you can preview as much as you like. So it's a good idea to preview your criteria until you get the results you want.

The system of checkboxes aren't too intuitive, so I'm guessing that you havent checked the box for "nearest to" (or whatever it is) when you have been inputting the coordinates. You have to actively check the box as well as inputting the coordinates! The system works really well, except for these minor gotchas!

I'd just like to see a keyword option in there - so, for instance, I could have a query for "Alchemy Quest"... :-)

Bob Aldridge

Most of the time the reason PQ's are empty is because you have selected too many parameters. Then they overlap and you don't get anything, for instance picking members only that haven't been found. Unless they are unfound by anybody you wont get anything.

After you set up you PQ at the top of the page is a run this query now link. Run it to make sure you have something there.

Hiya again Haggis Hunter.

One thing that threw me was that when you select options such as "country", selecting a country won't actually automatically select the radio button.

The other thing you can do so you don't waste your 5 is to not select a day at all first, enter the details, save then preview them, then only when you are happy you have got it right, check todays box and down it'll come!

Good luck!

Also note that the "That... I've found, I haven't found, Is active etc.etc."

section is an AND section, not an OR section, so it's easy to throw away lots of potential caches. If you tick "I own" and "I don't own" then you'll get no results!

I fell over this a couple of times.

To preview, make sure you DON'T check any days to run, then submit it, and you can then preview the query. Once you're happy, set the correct day.

It does take a while to get it right (particularly, I forget to change the .loc to .gpx on my queries) but they're great once you get used to them.

Cheers,

Stu

I'm now getting them to run thanks everyone. Problem I now have is that I have downloaded Mobipocket for my PDA but I can't get any of the details to show up anywhere not even on my PDA. I am however getting my Co-ords so that is something I suppose.

So yeah I need more advice please.

If you're a cheapskate like me and haven't yet become a premium member then here are a few tips for downloading cache pages to your pda, and coords to you gps.

Cache pages.

once the cache page has loaded, click on the 'make page print friendly, then highlight and copy it all. Open an empty word file and paste it and save it. It becomes easily portable to most PDA's with pocket word.

GPS Coords.

Use the download section of geocache uk once a local search has finished.

This saves me having to download other software onto my PC, and saves me some money too.

I hope this helps, but then I didn't understand the original query as I'm not a premium member, yet. :D

Personally I wouldn't bother with Mobipocket, but go straight for CacheMate. It really is the Mutts NUts of geocaching apps for Palm OS.

If you're using a Windows PC, combine it with Geocaching Swiss Army Knife and you have geocaching nirvana.

- Neil.

I have to echo Neil here, as he's one of the people responsible for putting me onto this combo.

Since I got cache mate, it's saved me tons of time and paper (although not really as I now do 2-3 timews as many caches a day as before and print a ton of maps for them.)

GSAK is the absolute business, I went on to this when Watcher kept crashing when trying to load up 2000+ caches. It does pretty much everything I could want it to do, except put my finds in order and track the milage. It also outputs to cache mate, Autoroute and my GPS. the filters section is just brilliant, and saves me having to tailor my PQs for each trip. I just have a weekly set that downloads all of the UK caches, then more regular ones for finds, updated in the last week and placed in the last Month. All that and it's completely free!!

Personally I wouldn't bother with Mobipocket, but go straight for CacheMate. It really is the Mutts NUts of geocaching apps for Palm OS.

If you're using a Windows PC, combine it with Geocaching Swiss Army Knife and you have geocaching nirvana.

- Neil.

Thanks Neil I haven't got the Cache mate yet. The Swiss Army Knife I am already using though. I'll let you know how I get on.

OK I have done the download for cachemate, but I can't get it to open. I don't have the programme for it. Do I have to click on the purchase icon which is next to download or am I still doing something wrong.

Good job I don't work in I.T. B)

P.S. It's working perfectly on GSAK. Well I think it is B) I'm getting my Waypoints onto it and managing to transfer them onto my GPS and Mapsource. :(

Edited by Haggis Hunter

When you purchase Cachemate you'll get an email with the unlock code to get the full working version. You have the full version loaded, it just needs the code to fully work. Welcome to the land of paperless caching,,,,fun aint it???

OK I have done the download for cachemate, but I can't get it to open. I don't have the programme for it. Do I have to click on the purchase icon which is next to download or am I still doing something wrong.

Good job I don't work in I.T. B)

P.S. It's working perfectly on GSAK. Well I think it is B) I'm getting my Waypoints onto it and managing to transfer them onto my GPS and Mapsource. :(

Have you successfully installed CacheMate on your Palm?

Once you have done that, then you can use GSAK to create a cachemate file, which when synced with the Palm, Cachemate will load the next time it is run. Note however, the demo version is limited to 10 caches.

If you need help getting Cachemate on to your Palm, shout.

- Neil.

Hope this has not been exhaustedly discussed before.

For those of us with a laptop rather than palmtop what is the advice for downloading cache descriptions and logs.

I use CSV to download co=ords to autoroute and create pushpins complete with web links - but only works online. The autoroute maps lack detail though and I would prefer OS detail.

Any tips please

Peter

For a laptop user, I would recommend the following:

Premier membership for GC.com to get the GPX files.

Geocaching Swiss Army Knife to process said GPX files.

GSAK can output in a whole mass of formats, including MXF files which can be used by Memory Map, or a TXT file for use with Fugawi, allowing you to import waypoints into the maps. Either of these are suitable products for giving you OS level mapping.

You can then print out the maps as required (or transfer to a PDA should you so wish).

As as alternative you can use the GeocacheUK website to do a search and then download a appropriate file including one for Autoroute Express.

Hopefully that's given you some pointers. Shout if you need more.

- Neil.

Welcome to the land of paperless caching,,,,fun aint it???

First of all thanks go to Neil as he has helped tremendously on this subject, As for TartanT it's your fault for showing me that I can do it without paper :ph34r: and yeah your right it is fun if the batteries don't run out and you lose all of your data without hotsyncing <_<

First of all thanks go to Neil as he has helped tremendously on this subject, As for TartanT it's your fault for showing me that I can do it without paper :ph34r: and yeah your right it is fun if the batteries don't run out and you lose all of your data without hotsyncing <_<

At least with a Palm III you can swap out the batteries for new ones. If you are quick enough you shouldn't lose any data. It's been a while since I used a III, but the capacitor holds charge for about 5 mins if I remember correctly. Best to have the replacements to hand though before removing the old ones.

There is something to be said for a PDA that you can get batteries for an practically any street corner rather than having to remember to charge it up. It's a pain having to remember every charger when you travel (laptop, phone, PDA (sometimes x2), bluetooth GPSr, mp3 player, etc., etc. :-) ).

The joys of modern technology.

- Neil.

I don't think it's supported as the mxf format doesn't cater for it.

True, the .mxf format doesn't support "hotspots". The .csv format does but that's been taken out of v2004.

I have the tech specs from Memory Map somewhere, so I'll check.

Do you have the tech spec for the .mmo file? That would be very interesting to see.

Do you have the tech spec for the .mmo file? That would be very interesting to see.

Unfortunately not, just the .mxf format. It's most useful for telling you the very limited number of icons it supports for marks. It's considerably less than are in the full Maptech spec.

Whilst I'm here... Haggis Hunter, I will reply to your email once I get back from my client's in Herefordshire tonight (no nearby caches, so no detours :-) ). Didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.

- Neil.

Because GSAK is about a million times more versatile that CMConvert.

As for batteries, I used a Palm IIIxe for ages and liked the way you could change batereies easily and quickly anywhere. However, I now have a Clie and find it even better as I am less concerned about the power running out than before. this is because charging is so easy.

Go to ebay and for about £8 you should be able to get a spare USB hotsync cable and a car lighter adaptor for your PDA. Also for about £8 you should be able to get a battery powered charger.

These are all light and fit easily in a pocket. Now you can charge the PDa in any car from the lighter socket, charge it from any USB equipped computer using the hotsync cable. You do not need ot hotsync to do this, just connect the PDA to the computer using the cable. Finally, if you are out charging across a field when power gets low, place 4 AA batteries in the chargerand charge the PDA off that. I always have loads of AA batteries on me as the GPSr runs off them also.

The result is that even on a prolonged trip, for very little money I am unlikly to lose power, and the device operates in all situations even when charging.

Finally, using a memory card and something like BackupBuddy you can be sure you will have a copy of your data should everyhting go pear shaped.

Finally got around to becoming a premier member. Very quick using paypal - whole thing took a couple of minutes including receipt of 'magic' premier member number.

As a laptop user I wish to download GPX files (I understand they contain most of the web entry including responses). Is there a simple guide somewhere?

Thanks

Peter

The easiest way is to go to the PQ creation page and try it out. You can create a query and then run it immediately to see if you get the right result. Just keep it simple to start with. Most trouble comes from incompatible selections that result in no information coming back.

Easy enough - go to your "My Cache Page" on GC.com. There will be a "run pocket queries" box near the top. This takes you to the Pocket Queries page and if you then hit "new query" and scroll down the page the hints reveal all.

To read the gpx file I find Clyde England's GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) invaluable.

:bad: Just to reinforce the comments in here, I have recently joined the Palm/Cachemate/GSAK throng and can, as a real newbie to paperless caching, state it is easey-peasey and is the only way to go...

I went down to Cornwall for a working trip and had time to take a day out caching. I stuff 200 caches into the Palm (gotta think positive) and ended up logging 6 that day with two geo-virgins I dragged along. Thanks to the data on the Palm, we gave up on one cache (last 3 logs were no finds). We also dumped a multi when we failed to find the first clue and read of the difficulties other had at the other stages - we did not want to commit too much of our singe day out to trying for it.

I am also impressed with the functions on the Palm IIIxe. It is no longer the must-have it was but it is still a little marvel. I cannot believe the power of the small, compact programs that download in a trice over my 56k modem. Exploiting a "mature" technology has some distinct advantages - it is cheap and there's plenty of solutions abounding. I was so impressed, I have bought another Palm IIIxe for Sue to use (this one cost a whole €17 with €5 p&p! I sent €30 cos that's what I had left in my wallet).

...I might well have to get a bigger, better Palm on my next trip to the US...

I have gone paperless recently GSAK, Cachemate, Premium membership, Palm IIIx (£17 off ebay) and have set up 8 pocket queries by date to get the entire UK database. However I am off to Ireland for 2 weeks holiday and having set up a query for Ireland noticed some of the Irish caches have been set as the wrong country. Does anyone know how to get them all?

Thanks for the pointers and a few sucessfull downloads later I am appreciating the facility/ First mistake though was not to tick the day of the week box (because I only wanted to run the query once).

Next question is how to get some of the additional info such as pictures and links to profiles, cache owners etc.

Am using GSAK and downloading to Autoroute as csv file for pushpins. This works great to show approximate location of all caches. There is a small issue with the generated URL though when working offline. The URL is preceded with "\\file" so the link does not work. Any ideas.

Appreciate help so far.

Peter

CAn load correct pushpin for online use but problem is trying to use ofline version where extra file\\ text appears. Simple workaround is to delete characters from address line in explorer.

Does the ffline cache descriptions exclude pictures etc.

Peter

The offline version is only, well, for offline viewing.

You must first have generated the offline HTML pages somewhere on your computer for this to work. For more information refer to the help file of follow this link

(then just click your mouse on the "hot link" where you see "Use Local URL for each waypoint")

Thanks for assistance but guess I have been unclear.

I have successfully downloaded HTML and can be viewed directly via GSAK but not via autoroute pushpins.

An example of the autoroute pushpin URL link is:

\\file:C:\Program Files\GSAK\Cache\GC64CF.htm

which results in an error. When trying to open the link via explorer if I manually delete the first characters "\\file:" then it all works fine.

The HTML pages are fine but do not include any pictures from the cache description - do I need to set a switch somewhere?

Thanks for your patience

Peter

Thanks for assistance but guess I have been unclear.

I have successfully downloaded HTML and can be viewed directly via GSAK but not via autoroute pushpins.

An example of the autoroute pushpin URL link is:

\\file:C:\Program Files\GSAK\Cache\GC64CF.htm

which results in an error.  When trying to open the link via explorer if I manually delete the first characters "\\file:" then it all works fine.

The HTML pages are fine but do not include any pictures from the cache description - do I need to set a switch somewhere?

Thanks for your patience

Peter

You show the syntax as \\file:c:\.....

But when I look at the file I see file:\\c:\.... which work here in Explorer V 6.0

Pictures are not available in Offline view as this is data that is not sent with the GPX file.

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde

I appreciate your efforts :)

I wonder if I have incorporated some IE6 secrity updates which you may not have. This could explain the difference.

Original csv from GSAK following the export to Microsoft streets and trips csv file. This is URL as seen within autoroute pushpins.

URL: file:\\C:\Program%20Files\GSAK\cache\GCG35W.htm

when entering this link it appears in the explorer window and fails as:

\\file:C:\Program Files\GSAK\cache\GCG46M.htm

Have developed a stripper which converts address and correctly functions with

file:C:\Program%20Files\GSAK\cache\GCGC8P.htm

and appears in explorer as:

C:\Program Files\GSAK\Cache\GCGC8P.htm

Peter

I have just received my lastest pocket query .gpx file via email :mad: I opened it as normal but when GSAK diplayed the information it actually appears to be a .loc file :mad:

I have checked the pocket query setting and it is defo set to .gpx <_<

Any ideas what is going on anyone <_<

I have just received my lastest pocket query .gpx file via email :mad: I opened it as normal but when GSAK diplayed the information it actually appears to be a .loc file :mad:

I have checked the pocket query setting and it is defo set to .gpx <_<

Any ideas what is going on anyone <_<

Just so we can isolate what is going on here, Load the GPX file into a new database (Database=>New)

Does the information still look like it is only a LOC file?

If so, then send me the offending GPX file and I will investigate what is going on.

I have just received my lastest pocket query .gpx file via email  :o  I opened it as normal but when GSAK diplayed the information it actually appears to be a .loc file  :D

I have checked the pocket query setting and it is defo set to .gpx  :o

Any ideas what is going on anyone  :o

Just so we can isolate what is going on here, Load the GPX file into a new database (Database=>New)

Does the information still look like it is only a LOC file?

If so, then send me the offending GPX file and I will investigate what is going on.

I did what you said clyde and opened the file as a new database ......still the same :D

I have also tried reinstalling the GSAK program... but this didn't either :D

So I am going to email you the gpx file :D