What Do They Make Of The 528 Foot Rule Overseas?

lowracer

What must international cachers make of the 528 foot rule? That can not work out to an even number of meters. Imagine if someone in Europe had invented geocaching, then after some cache collisions they established the 'tenth of a kilometer' rule.

We here in the States would be scratching our heads trying to accurately measure 328.0839859501 feet.

Any Metric cachers care to comment?

I don't think it would be too difficult to round it down to 160 meters or up to 165 meters ... call it the ".16 kilometer rule."

Actually, I don't know why we even use the "528 ft rule," because nautical miles (approximately 6080 ft or 1.852 kilometers) are the standard used in navigation. (And obviously, .1 of a nautical mile is 608 ft./.185 kilometer.)

Edited by Bassoon Pilot
Nautical miles are fine for off shore navigation but on shore we should use the US Survey foot. (hee-hee)

All of our aeronautical charts also use nautical miles. Using our GPS devices, we are navigating by latitude and longitude.

1 nautical mile is the angular distance of 1 minute of arc on the earth's surface.

**S** :D **S**

Yeppers, sorry, I was just chucking something else into the pot.

I am actually a surveyor so I have to use a whole slew of units coz I work, literally, all around the world. (over 40 countries last count) I don't see why you lot here shouldn't have a few extra units to consider too!

Just me being a booger! :D:):D

[May I suggest that we standardise on links, chains, poles, perchs and furlongs thereby placing us all at equal disadvantage? Seems fair to me]

Why complicate matters??

1 pole = 1 perch

So why both?

We could use the Rod instead, since this= 1 pole or 1 perch!!!!

I suggest we go back to the current rule of 176 strides which is a few shuffles less than a furlong.

Life's not all that difficult is it.

Over here in France where the number of caches placed are on the sparse side any rule relating to distance apart is of little or no importance. We use 2 per acre.

One thing that really annoys me is that the GC.com website are sometimes talking about miles, and sometimes about kilometres. For example: TRAVELBUGS.

If you look at a TBs page, the travelling distance are only measured in miles, doesn't really say much to me. On the other hand, if I sometimes look what bugs a specific user have had, then it can be listed sometimes in miles, sometimes in km!?

And things like that...

Since everything in the metric system is logic, 100 metres would be a logic limit instead of 161.

I was working from memory, which is always a mistake at my age.

Hey! I did a quote! My first one :D 

Cheers

Ron

There are not many of us left that remember proper measurement are there.

OK, now you have two quotes. :D

Edited by Bucks Bodgers
What must international cachers make of the 528 foot rule? That can not work out to an even number of meters. Imagine if someone in Europe had invented geocaching, then after some cache collisions they established the 'tenth of a kilometer' rule.

We here in the States would be scratching our heads trying to accurately measure 328.0839859501 feet.

Any Metric cachers care to comment?

I don't think it's very common situation that we (metric cachers) would have to count centimeters from another cache to make sure it's within the 0.1 mile rule. If such a situation would occur, most GPS units can display both meters and feet, so hiders can check the distance while straight away when hiding their caches.

I've never felt the 0.1 mile rule confusing, mostly because I've never had to hide any cache close to another one. It's good that we get to choose our preference on the nearest cache page, but like Hedberg pointed out, TB pages still have problems with this. Of course, it would be much more practical if even the rest of the industrialized world would adopt the simple metric system. :D :D

It's not that difficult to change the units on the GPS from whatever is used locally to statute miles and measure the distance between two locations, or even do it on a number of PC or PDA calculators. Converting between different units is common, here, there, and everywhere.

I've never felt the 0.1 mile rule confusing, mostly because I've never had to hide any cache close to another one.

Gosh! You mean, like, there's enough room for everyone to hide a cache, without all having to put one in the same park? :D

I often found the 0.1 mile rule strange, too. We felt we were hiding a little close to another cache when we placed one 1.2 miles away.

Of course, it would be much more practical if even the rest of the industrialized world would adopt the simple metric system. :D :D

Hmmmm,

You see, the thing is, the largest econimies in the Industrialized world use the Imperial system. Going by majority rule, the imperial system should be re-adopted elsewhere. However, most business that has dealings internationally does use the metric system.

I would imagine that the US is reluctant to go metric for many reasons, following the problems that the UK encountered when Europe imposed it upon them. Gas prices go up faster now, because of the measurement in litres, "Oh, it's only a penny a litre" (yeah and 4.54 pence per gallon). A litre of milk costs twice what a pint does, but it's only 1.76 pints (UK Pints). A 500 ml can of beer cost the same as a pint, but it's only .88 of a pint

Also, all the advantageous conversions haven't been implemented, speed limits of 100 kph would be 62 mph, up from 60.

If the USA would of went metric in the 1800's like most everyone else we wouldn't be having this problem.

A miss is as good as 1.6 kilometers

Put your best .3 of a meter forward

Spare the 5.03 meters and spoil the child

Twenty-eight grams of prevention is worth 453 grams of cure.

Give a man 2.5 centimeters and he'll take 1.6 kilometers.

Peter Piper picked 8.8 liters of pickled peppers.

Actually, I don't know why we even use the "528 ft rule," because nautical miles (approximately 6080 ft or 1.852 kilometers) are the standard used in navigation. (And obviously, .1 of a nautical mile is 608 ft./.185 kilometer.)

I was reading this thread and 1 mile equals 5280 feet.

What is the reading a gps gives you, regular mile or nautical mile?

:D

What is the reading a gps gives you, regular mile or nautical mile?

It depends on which setting you have chosen ... it's a user option. Geocaching is a game involving NAVIGATION, and the nautical mile (6080 ft) is the standard used in navigation. (1 nautical mile is the angular distance of 1 minute of arc on the earth's surface.)

I saw an article on the internet that suggested the metric system was created by Martians, because 1 minute of arc on the surface of Mars is almost exactly one kilometer. :D

Edited by Bassoon Pilot
Of course, it would be much more practical if even the rest of the industrialized world would adopt the simple metric system. :D :D

Hmmmm,

You see, the thing is, the largest econimies in the Industrialized world use the Imperial system. Going by majority rule, the imperial system should be re-adopted elsewhere. However, most business that has dealings internationally does use the metric system.

I would imagine that the US is reluctant to go metric for many reasons, following the problems that the UK encountered when Europe imposed it upon them. Gas prices go up faster now, because of the measurement in litres, "Oh, it's only a penny a litre" (yeah and 4.54 pence per gallon). A litre of milk costs twice what a pint does, but it's only 1.76 pints (UK Pints). A 500 ml can of beer cost the same as a pint, but it's only .88 of a pint

Also, all the advantageous conversions haven't been implemented, speed limits of 100 kph would be 62 mph, up from 60.

Actually, I remember clearly in the 70's when it was decided to go metric in USA, it was almost as quickly dashed due to the huge cost of replacing all of the road signs to make it work.

the cost of the street signs is easily overcome. here in england we went metric but kept all the street signs in imperial? go figure i think it's even technically against the law to have metric on street signs! so we've got some bloody confused people wandering around, only taught metric in schools but only imperial measurements to tell them where things are! someones having a laugh.

great film! but where do you get a big kahuna burger!

We have a "Big Kahuna's Pizza-N-Stuff" here. I don't know if you can get a burger there, but I'm sure you can get a tasty beverege... :ph34r:

As for the .1 mile, just switch from Kilometers/Meters to Miles/Feet. Don't overthink it. <_<

An Ell - A measure of length varying in different countries. The English ell = 45 inches; the Scots = 37.2 inches; the Flemish = 27 inches

And King Edward I declared the "Iron Ulna" (the yard). The foot was one-third yard and the inch was one thirty-sixth. King Edward II, recognizing the Iron Ulna was not universially available, declared, "3 barleycorns, round and dry make an inch.

The standard yard was first legalised in Britain in 1824; this standard was destroyed in 1834. The Standard Imperial Yard, "Bronze No. 1" was then prepared and legalised in 1855. Forty copies were made and one of these, "Bronze No. 11," was presented to the United States by the British Government in 1856. WHAT THE ELL AM I TALKING ABOUT :mad:

An Ell - A measure of length varying in different countries. The English ell = 45 inches; the Scots = 37.2 inches; the Flemish = 27 inches

And King Edward I declared the "Iron Ulna" (the yard). The foot was one-third yard and the inch was one thirty-sixth. King Edward II, recognizing the Iron Ulna was not universially available, declared, "3 barleycorns, round and dry make an inch. 

The standard yard was first legalised in Britain in 1824; this standard was destroyed in 1834. The Standard Imperial Yard, "Bronze No. 1" was then prepared and legalised in 1855. Forty copies were made and one of these, "Bronze No. 11," was presented to the United States by the British Government in 1856. WHAT THE ELL AM I TALKING ABOUT  :mad:

about 0.0000631 miles or a very long stride which would make your eyes water :mad:

Edited by Bucks Bodgers
Now if want pure stupidity try this.

In the early days of metrication in the UK the petrochemical industry used imperial diameters and metric lengths!!!

Tyres (that's tYres, not tIres) are still measured in a combination of metric and imperial.

A 265/65R15 tyre has a tread width of 265millimetres, a profile of 65% on a wheel diameter of 15 inches.

:mad:

the path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequaties of the selfish and tyranies of evil men!

simple solution, don't place a cache near to another one. 528 feet isn't far why would you want to place another cache that close to start with? even if it's a multi who are you doing it for? someone who doesn't want to walk more than from the car to the pizza/burger resturant.

if not then lets use some measurement that no one uses anymore. i don't know the romans must have had something or some stone age tribe in south america! gives the approvers something to do. :mad: