These Would Be Cool

Very clever. While the Mountain Dew can is nice work - I am not thrilled about using that for Geocaching. I am thinking that the can would only blend in with trash, could very well be mistaken for trash and cleaned up. The second one, the fake outlet, I like much more. I guess you wouldn't put that in the middle of the woods, but if you had it somewhere closer to civilization I could see it being a great hiding spot.

I love it. I have two other versions of electrical boxes out and this might be another for me. To be 100% realistic, change the white PVC to grey electrical conduit, assuming thats what's used in your region. I might even mortise out the post and get a bigger container in there.

Great job!

I had a cache similar to the electrical outlet box. It was a moving cache on Navic@che called "The Rolling Blackout." It was an electrical junction box (no plugs, just a metal cover) that had a huge magnet glued on the back, so you could stick it on any metal surface. The whole thing was spray painted grey. You had to use a screwdriver to remove the screws from the junction box cover to get the goodies and logbook inside. Finders could post a picture but they had to black out the actual image of the container (with a smiley face graphic), so that on your first find you really had no idea what you were looking for.

It bounced around Austin for about six months before it got muggled. Probably by some bewildered electrician. :D I'm saving my pennies to buy another junction box to redeploy the Mark II version which will be even more stealthy.

http://www.navicache.com/cgi-bin/db/displa...pl?CacheID=2237

Some recent placements:

findpic8072-1.jpg

Edited by lowracer

I have an outlet box on a non refrigerated water fountain.

I really like the idea of disguised caches (found a really cool one today)and I plan on placing several soon.

My only concern with the electrical box thing is that cachers might start fooling with things they shouldn't when they go looking for urban caches. I've seen several like this and I'm concerned someone will take apart the real thing and get hurt.

Mine is clearly marked with the GC logo. I figured it means nothing to the average park goer but makes it obvious to the cacher that this is what they seek. Yes I realize that blows the whole concept if it was placed out in the open. Mine is not.

I have one in the works for a covered bridge that will look like part of the bridge. Assuming I can get it approved, I will have some kind of "give away" on it so people don't tear apart the bridge.

I guess a good "rule of thumb" on these types is that you should not have to have anything besides your hands to remove the container.

Found a "key rock" tother day. Like the coke can (which image I cannot get to show in my browser) I am afraid it will get "tossed" by someone who doesn't recognize it- perhaps even by the cacher that is looking for it.

the can is heavy and I wrote on the top of the can "twist off" so anyone who picks it up will imediatly think its a full can and upon looking it should be obvious...or at least that was my conclusion...its full of plaster of paris to make it heavy...the elctrical box you dont need any tools and it just pulls up out of the ground.

We had a fake coke can for all of about 2 weeks. My husband gave in to peer pressure about how bad an idea that type of cache was and we pulled it. It was hidden right in plain sight. I really liked the idea but it just wasn't well recieved by the local cachers. But some of them are kinda picky. B)

Rainwater- another nice hidden in plain sight style cache that we have seen is a fake plumbing access like a septic cleanout with a twist off cap. Even better if if is placed near somewhere with other ones nearby. Twist off the wrong cap.... ewwww!

-Jennifer

I was going to place a fake electrical outlet, but found what I felt was a better location using an empty outlet box that was never wired (apprently they came as part and parcel with the light poles they were attached to). All I needed to do is add my own cover plate. There's two or three other boxes along the same stretch of sidewalk that are still coverless, which will hopefully provide one clue to the hiding spot.

Some of the locals liked it, some hated it and thought it was going to hurt searchers or get someone in trouble.

We've done the electrical outlet before--drilled it into an abandoned building. People seemed to enjoy it.

We hid an ear plug container in an old fire extinguisher and chucked it in the desert. It's been CITO'd twice in less than 3 months. There is such a thing as too good. :mad: