$700 On Your Wrist

Larebel

Ummm..."Not it!"

(Battery note: The Suunto X9 is equipped with an internal rechargeable battery, which can be recharged approximately 500 times before requiring replacement. The life expectancy of a single charge is six months if you only use Time and/or Weather mode. However, heavy use of the GPS, backlight, compass and data storage functions will significantly reduce the battery life.)

This should define the term "significantly reduce."

Ummm..."Not it!"

(Battery note: The Suunto X9 is equipped with an internal rechargeable battery, which can be recharged approximately 500 times before requiring replacement. The life expectancy of a single charge is six months if you only use Time and/or Weather mode. However, heavy use of the GPS, backlight, compass and data storage functions will significantly reduce the battery life.)

This should define the term "significantly reduce."

:D As in, "Significantly reduce the amount of cash I have"! :) I could buy a 60CS and still have enough $$$ left over for a copy of Topo for what that little beast cost! :D

The batteries on that X9 will only cost about $35 to replace (which I don't think is bad), and I asked about the battery life - they said they hold a charge for 6 hours with NON-STOP GPS use, which is of course not how you'd normally be using the watch. Said it seems average user gets a few days of regular usage between charges. Seems like a lot to pay, unless you're going to also use the altimeter, barometer, and other functions. But if you ARE ... super cool.

Rechargeable battery (500 charges, factory replaced)

Factory replaced? I wonder how many factories they have out on the hiking trails? or how many trees are equiped with 12VDC power supplies?

I don't like electronics with factory sealed rechargeable batteries. That's why I won't get an iPod or similar HD-based MP3 players. What happens if your battery suddenly dies while your on vacation? Even if it doesn't die, how do you recharge your iPod in the middle of Seattle to Boston flight?

Give me AA or AAA devices any day. Replacements are as close as your daypack or the nearest 7-11.

tm

embra that's the second thing I noticed. The first was the bulk.

Nice idea but I can only imagine running out of batteries on the trail and not being able to replace them in addition to the sheer cost when they finally give up the ghost.

The size of that watch is 06mm wider than the Vector I have on. It's not something you'd wear with a suit, but it isn't much noticeable either. They're surprisingly light unless you get the metal casing.

embra that's the second thing I noticed.  The first was the bulk.

Nice idea but I can only imagine running out of batteries on the trail and not being able to replace them in addition to the sheer cost when they finally give up the ghost.

The size of that watch is 06mm wider than the Vector I have on. It's not something you'd wear with a suit, but it isn't much noticeable either. They're surprisingly light unless you get the metal casing.

I were a vector almost every day, i am wearing one now. I have never had a problem with the size of the Suunto products, But $700.00 for a small GPS. Not for me. But then again I do not like small GPSr, I cann't stand the Gekos, they are just tooooo smaaaaall.

Suunto did try a GPS watch that used regular batteries a few years ago, it never made it beyond the prototype stage because the batteries only lasted about two hours.

I've been using a foretrex 201 for almost 2 months now and love it. It can not pass for a watch but it is realitivly stealthy. Most people think its some kind of stop watch or something.

The rechargeable battery is very nice and makes it .3 inches thinner than the 101. I carry a AA battery extender pack in my bag that can charge the GPS or my PPC while on the trail so I always have backup power though I haven't needed it yet. The 15 hours the battery is supposed to last seems accurate with how much I'm using mine. If I was doing a week long caching marathon I could charge it in the car off the cig lighter.

I'm looking to buy another GPS for the wife. I'm leaning towards another foretrex but struggle between getting the 101 or the 201. I'll probably go with the 201 again. If I get the 101 then I have to carry aaa's and aa's. Plus the data cable is not included with the 101.

Have to agree here with JeepCachr!

Love the 201, and for some reason it really seems to hold a lock. Not sure if this is due to the fact that it is on the wrist and not elsewhere, but it seems to find and hold a lock really well, in the car, on a bus, or just walking downtown.

For the money it sure is hard to beat. I thought that it would work good for Kayaking, but I find that I use it a lot just for walking, or even using it as a watch, yes I know, pretty sad excuse to wear it but it does work as a watch too.

I was really interested in using onboard sailboats as a timer (great feature that countdown timer is terriffic for setting up for race starts) and for sail trim when on a friends boat.

I think I will stick to the foretrex, and spend the $500 difference on airfare to Hawaii or something.

CP