The Isun And More

I saw the ISun and started looking at this site

ISun Website

closedisun.jpgisunchargingphone.gif

Does anyone use this on their GPS.....I do not know if it would be worth it unless your taking a longggg trip.

Just curious

I've been researching these for some time now and from what I read thus far, the trickle charge isn't enough to do any good on active usage. However, if you have a full day in the sun, the small ones as shown here are good for charging 4 AA's in about 8-10 hours.

I've been looking into this to keep 12v batteries for the tent heater blower charged after an overnight use. The biggest problem is to keep the cells pointed toward the sun for maximum capability to charge.

Right now for the return you get on this purchase, your best payback is to use the money to buy more rechargeables and carry them in your backpack on your forays unless you plan on camping for more than 3 days.

Right now for the return you get on this purchase, your best payback is to use the money to buy more rechargeables and carry them in your backpack on your forays unless you plan on camping for more than 3 days.

Thats what I was thinking. No worrys if the sun does not come out. They do sell BIG ones that are flexable to go on you backpack.

I live in the middle of the Irish sea. Isle of Man and I have quite a few little Solar Panels and Items that run on Solar and they work quite well here despite the rain, the clouds. They work on Sunlight not heat so on a sunny day in winter, it may be cold but you do get power. I have two Solar powered Torches (charge up in day use at night) Two wind up Radios , one of which has a solar panel which charges the internal battery (this one is also short wave so used worldwide). I have a very small 6 inches by 8 inches solar panel which can charge up 2 AA batteries and it will also run a radio. I have a compact solar Panel which is only 12 inches by 12 inches which charges up my phone, Laptop, small batteries, small 12 volt battery pack, it also can run a portable ice box cooler, and anything else that runs under 12 volt. Expensive? No. The last mentioned only cost £30 UK sterling. For those cyclists out there a web site in UK now has a Cycle dynamo on offer that recharges your mobile phone as you cycle, ideal for the Round the world enthusiasts. Solar eqiupment is cheap, very useful, enviromently friendly but bear in mind to get your recharable batteries solar charged for the days the sun does not shine.

The real problem with solar is that the power output is really quite small. If you need more than 2 watts you'll have to daisy-chain their products together. You'd very quickly turn into a walking hardware store. They're at their best when used to keep a "maintenance charge" on a battery. So, unless you've got some serious square footage of solar cells, don't bother. You'll spend a small fortune and have little to show for it. It wouldn't be so bad if you were spending a large amount of time charging your battery and then just a short duty cycle, i.e. an emergency phone that would get used infrequently, but something like a laptop that you plan on using for extended periods would quickly outpace your charging system.

No, I'll hang my hat on nuclear. A bit of plutonium in my pocket and within a few hours I won't have to worry about power ever again. . .