Topo Map Software

If you want to use maps in your GPS unit - you must stick with the product designed for uploading to you GPS unit.

If uploading maps is not your only intention, there are several options. I have tried most of them - here is my opinion.

National Geographic TOPO: Great program over-all. Has some features not readily available in other programs. A bit expensive at $99 a state. I have 3 states, although I only paid for one. Map levels from nationwide to 1:24k. If you don't need that detail....

National Geographic Back Roads Explorer: Basically the sams as NG TOPO, but covers the whole country with map levels from nationwide to 1:100k. Less detail than TOPO, but at about $39, not a bad deal. You can integrate it with any state TOPO for 1:24k maps on that state. Note - some states include 1:24k in BRE.

Although National Geographic products are really good, they are not without problems. If you are lucky, you will never need help from the NG support on E-mail. If you do, you will meet Micheal Wildshut. He is somewhat less than optimally equipped for his present position. Research old threads for some of his enlightening answers. :rolleyes:

ExpertGPS: $$$ for $$$, probably THE BEST single program for geocachers. The more I use it, the more I appreciate it. It is constantly being improved, and DAN in support is as good as it gets. Best $60 I have spent on software since the Sierra Rifll Ballistics program. Not only TOPO maps, but Aerial Photos too. And talk about managing your waypoints and tracks, and building routes.... you can't go wrong with this one.

VisualGPS. A neat program to play with. Somewhat limited in purpose, but it does let you see and learn how your GPSR works.

I have tried most of the others in either the free or demo models available. Compared to what I listed above, they were of limited use to me. The above info is my own opinion, YMMV. :D

Delorme's Topo USA 5.0 is a little different from most of the other in that it is vector based, not just a collection of scanned images.

So basically it "knows" whare everything is located, and draws a map based on the data, just like autocadd.

The upside, is that you can do mapquest type routings, by giving it a start and finish. This goes for trails as well as roads.

I like this, as I can use it for driving directions as well as geocaching.

I give it my home and my destination, and it creates a route. I then download the route to my GPS, now my GPS tell me how far till the next trun, and when I get to a turn, my GPS lights up and points the way to turn.

Also, since it is database driven, you can add your own roads parks, etc, turn different elements on or off, like contour lines, county boarders, view things in a quasi 3-D, and see the profile of the elevation, which is really nice if you are biking.

On the down side, it does not do waypoint managment well for Geocaching. You will have to use something like EasyGPS (which is free) to do that, and then import your waypoints.

Also, when you zoom in to the highest level, some shapes look a little blocky, but this is very minor.

Delorme has even given Geocachers a promotional code, so they can get it for $60. A copy of their post is below.

SandRaven

Thank you for your interest in DeLorme products. We recognize that many of our loyal customers have posted priority codes on the Internet for discounts on Topo USA 5.0. Rather than using the codes that have been posted we ask that you use the following:

Geocachers Priority Code

This link will provide the same pricing opportunities to you as the other links and codes, while allowing us to properly track our marketing efforts.

Thank you.

DeLorme Marketing

I also own Topo 5.0 and NGTopo's state series but the Norteastern 9 cd set. Also Mapsource Topo, and CitySelect, EasyGps and Trackmaker. I've tried the demo of Expert GPS.

One thing about the Topo 5.0 is that you can buy ADP's and get the USGS Quad maps, for better detail and accuracy. The 3-D with ADP"S just plain is nice.

I use Mapsource for storeing and changeing waypoints,tracks,routes.

I use NGTopo for making routes on trails and printing out maps since their maps are much sharper than the others.

Some of the vector based trails in 5.0 are more up to date than the USGS raster scanned maps that they both use but at the same time the vetor maps have lot's of trails missing as well as brooks,etc.

The other programs I've tried seem not to have the good software available within them to make them attractive. So I've stuck to Mapsource,NGTopo,and now DeLorme's 5.0. which I'm still out on. I like the 3-d but find the routeing and waypoint management also lacking. Now with usb with Mapsource it make's itself even more attractive for manageing.

So one should compare maps to check for differences.

Someday maybe someone will make a mapping software that will be the one for all program. Better even if the consumer can make one or custom order one to do the things he'd like to do.

To do what I need I have to use these different programs.

Plus I have two pc's to keep up. i.e. laptop,desktop.

Hope this helps.....

NG Topo can be downloaded into your Pocket PC. So you can have 24K maps in color on the trail and track your position on the PPC by cabling to your GPS. The NG Topo map will show your position. You can do routes and profiles etc on the trail but for some reason, NG hasn't added the ability to transfer waypoints onto the NG map. You still need your GPS for that.

Alan

Here's a sample of NG Topo on Pocket PC. The heavy blue and red lines are routes taken from Mapxchange tracks; the reds are roads. The blue cross hairs are the UTM 1000-meter grids. If I had my GPS hooked up, there would be cross hairs showing current location. You can click on the route to get a profile (not shown); there are notes, etc. The map can be oriented for portrait or landscape. Contours are 20 foot for the 24K scale quad maps.

When saving to PPC, you can select different levels of scale so you can have the 100K also available for the area you're in all the way up to state size and those in between just like when you run NG Topo on your PC. You can also plug a GPS in the PPC CF slot to eliminate the separate GPS entirely. And when the PPC beeps, you know you missed your business appointment. :)

Alan

d5f84c45-1bca-4b3c-8c4a-311aab4a3f44.jpg

Edited by Alan2

I purchased Delorme Topo 5.0 about two weeks ago after reading about the discount code mentioned in one of the other forums. I also use Delorme Street Atlas 2004 and 2003 before that. I love the new Topo 5.0 product. I just drove up from San Felipe, Baja, Mexico, to Northern California, and had my laptop in the truck with Topo 5.0 with my etrek hooked up to thePC so I had a moving map. I also had preloaded all the geocache waypoints around all the RV Parks we stayed at along the trip, Palm Springs, Ventura, Pismo Beach and Morgan Hill. When I get near a cache, I drive to it using the Topo 5.0 Map and then take myu etrek and use it for the last part of the hunt. This setup works really well for me. There is my 2 cents worth about Topo Maps, good luck.

...You can do routes and profiles etc on the trail but for some reason, NG hasn't added the ability to transfer waypoints onto the NG map. You still need your GPS for that.

Alan

I bought this a year ago and was dissapointed by the lack of multi-waypoint management. It's sad to see that after all that time it still doesn't exist. I sent them an email on this so they have at least heard it from on geocacher.

Expertgps rules. you get usgs topos for the entire usa for only $60, and that includes air photos for the whole usa and the BEST waypoint, track, and route management software there is. A pocketpc version should be coming soon. Also, it is the only mapping program that spports USB for the new garmin gps60c's

yeah, you have to download the maps, but thats no that bad. I download a bunch at work (dsl line) and the burne them to cd-rom and took them home.

...You can do routes and profiles etc on the trail but for some reason, NG hasn't added the ability to transfer waypoints onto the NG map.  You still need your GPS for that.

Alan

I bought this a year ago and was dissapointed by the lack of multi-waypoint management. It's sad to see that after all that time it still doesn't exist. I sent them an email on this so they have at least heard it from on geocacher.

I sent them an email too. Here was their responce:

---------

We are always planning on updating our software. This feature is on the request list for a future version.

Michael Wildschut

TOPO! Technical Support

National Geographic Maps

Evergreen, Colorado

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 9:30 PM

To: TOPO

Subject: contact us

Name: Alan

E-mail: I bought Pocket Topo to download my state series onto my Pocket PC. Are you planning to upgrade the program? It's pretty useless without the ability to transfer waypoints.

alan

Edited by Alan2
NG Topo can be downloaded into your Pocket PC.  So you can have 24K maps in color on the trail and track your position on the PPC by cabling to your GPS.

The Delorme maps from both TopoQuads and TopoUSA can be downloaded to a handheld, too. It requires a PDA application of theirs: XMap Handheld Pro. $49, though. Never used it.

Life Is Good

I use the Delorme Street Atlas USA® 2004 Handheld ($39) with the Topo USA 5.0 data on a Compaq iPaq 3870.

I use the new Earthmate GPS receiver with the Bluetooth battery pack when I need to go mobile, and a usb cable and the laptop when I'm in the car.

This setup works great. I'm very pleased with it as a whole.

The whole setup is pretty new (before I used the old style Earthmate with a serial cable to the handheld.) Working without a cable is a nice feature. Less to juggle.

I'll post more as experience warrants it, or to answer any questions.

Edited by DilyDogGone