Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
HowardDouglas

New To Ham Radios

I am fimialiar with GPSr and police scanners and electronics of that nature. Is it hard to become a tech ham radio operator? I want to take my test and get a ham radio. What is a good brand radio a Yaesu VX-5R or the VX-7R?

Do you suggest to read the book or get it on DVD and watch it, which is easier to learn? It looks so confusing to learn. Looking at the radios looks confusing also.

the VX5 is a great little radio - I have one. Haven't seen the 7 up close, but I'm sure it's great as well

I suggest you download the OFFICIAL QUESTION POOL from the ARRL. If you base your studies on this, you will see EVERY possible question that you will see on a test. This is the stuff I base my ham radio class on. Just two hoours of class time a week, and self-study - and in 6 weeks I have several going for the test on Saturday.

We will see.

Good luck to you, and welcome to out world.

I suggest you download the OFFICIAL QUESTION POOL from the ARRL. If you base your studies on this, you will see EVERY possible question that you will see on a test. This is the stuff I base my ham radio class on. Just two hoours of class time a week, and self-study - and in 6 weeks I have several going for the test on Saturday.

We will see.

Good luck to you, and welcome to out world.

too bad that doesn't work for CW

Just passed my Tech exam today.

The book, and the quiz bank on eham.net.

Also, eham.net has great product reviews, so if you are still looking for radios, this might be a good reference.

bigredmed:

Congrats on passing your test. And, yes, eham is a good site for product reviews. If you are interested in the hobby I recommend joining a club. I belong to one that is very active, and there are enough highly technical people to help you with anything electronic. (we have radio, gps, computer engineers)

Some of the activities we do in a year, usually on HF radio:

Field Day: Contact clubs around the hemisphere on generator power...in a field.

International Lighthouse Weekend: We set up at a historic (1874) lighthouse as part of the Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society.

Museum Ships weekend: Set up at our club station in a Maritime Museum, with a historic ship docked outside. Contact other ships and amateurs.

IOTA DX trip: Go to Catalina Island as part of the international Islands on the Air, and contact people collecting islands. Last year we contacted 130 countries in a weekend. Look for K6AA this weekend from NA066.

Jamboree on the Air: For Scouts, we put them at the Mic and talk to other Scouts around the country.

Various contests such as Sweepstakes, and international DX. Operate from the club station or portable in a park with towers and motorhomes. These are a good way to improve your operating skills.

Hunger walk, Music Fair, Air Show: Community service providing communnications at these public events. VHF using handhelds.

United Radio Amateur Club