Advice On Water Crossing?

pedron

there is a cache near my house, actually 2 of them, that are on the far side of a lake. The swim will be about 3/4 of a mile or so. I could take a canoe, but I would rather swim it. Anyways, the problem i am facing is how to get my hiking boots across dry. Plus I will probably want to take a lunch and maybe dog food if i grab my parent's lab for a partner. Hence, i might want to get a small day pack across the lake with me. Anyone know of any tips on how to do this.

OBVIOUS Answer: get a float and put your stuff on top. This is good, but i am looking for something innovative that won't be super bulky. If I don't get any ideas, i will just go with this solution, though i don't want to.

I might have to just stash my pack and shoes and wear my flip flops on the other side.

I REALLY appreciate your answers. Thanks!

ps-for anyone curious, i am speaking of the 'lockjaw' and 'left bank' caches in Livermore, CA 94550. :rolleyes:

Appropriately sized dry bag towed behind. Capture as much air as you can in the bag to add bouyancy. Not sure how you'd avoid kicking the tow line tho. As for the dog, be sure it can swim that far in one shot twice in a day. Why bother with dog food? Share your lunch.

Edited by Gazza&Girls
I would walk or drive AROUND the lake...but that's just me.

I could walk around the lake, but what's the fun of that? actually, there are no trails on that side of the lake. It would be just cutting through bushes and stuff. Not as fun as a good, long swim in my book. as for the distance, i am pretty sure my lab would have no problems with it. He swims a lot with us at the lake. He can stay on shore if he wants. its up to boscoe. Also, we would only have to swim it once, since the caches are not far apart on that same shore. As for me, i am a part-time surfer and a generally amphibious kind of person. I can make the swim no problem, unless an ocean liner decides to cruise through (a land-locked lake). I actually am doing this cache this weekend for the sole purpose of the swim. I am excited.

I think i will try to find one of those waterproof bags someone spoke of. i have a camping/army surplus store near my house that i will check. Thanks for the advice! Wish me luck! :rolleyes:

Edited by pedron

I'd be real sure that the dog is capable of that distance. And make sure the owner knows exactly what you are planning to do.

Don't ascribe your abilities onto the dog. S/he may be energetic at the shore, but trying to keep up with an accomplished, much larger swimmer is a severe test of endurance.

If you insist on doing it, make sure you put some sort of floatation vest of the dog, one with air bladders on both sides, so that the animal can rest a bt without drowning.

Also, we would only have to swim it once, since the caches are not far apart on that same shore.

Not planning on coming back once you find the caches? :rolleyes: In that case, you better add a tent and clean underwear to that pack of yours...

If you want to be really lazy about it, you could always put your stuff in a garbage bag (doubled or trippled if you really want) then put that in a backpack (find a plastic one) and strap it on... as long as you don't really go underwater when you swim, most water won't even get to it, and then the garbage bags keep it dry, anyway... That's what hikers on the appalachan trail do, too.. put their stuff in a garbage bag inside their pack.

Hi,

I've used a huge heavy-duty garbage bag (bring 2 in case the first isn't in shape for the return crossing) with a knot tied in it. Ziplock-bag anything that can't afford to get a drop of water on. thread a string through the knot before you cinch it, and tie this around your shoulder, so you don't waste a hand dragging the floating garbage bag along.

At the end of the day though, it may be easier to walk around...I only know this method because I always bring garbage bags, and I've been forced to use this method in the past when I found myself on the wrong side of water.

Good Luck!

NFA

Edited by NFA
I'd be real sure that the dog is capable of that distance. And make sure the owner knows exactly what you are planning to do.

Don't ascribe your abilities onto the dog. S/he may be energetic at the shore, but trying to keep up with an accomplished, much larger swimmer is a severe test of endurance.

If you insist on doing it, make sure you put some sort of floatation vest of the dog, one with air bladders on both sides, so that the animal can rest a bt without drowning.

OK OK ! i won't take boscoe! i promise i am not an animal abuser. I am not trying to set him up for failure. I just thought he would enjoy a good swim. He probably would, but he's NOT GOING TO NOW!!! :rolleyes:

NO, i understand everyone's concern. It resonated with me. It might be a little farther than he is able to do. I have the option of floating on my back when i get tired. I love boscoe, and i wouldn't want to endanger him.

About going around. It would literally be 2-4 miles of blazing a trail through up and down hills in the heat. On the other side there is a trail that goes right to it, just across the lake. I really WANT to swim. I will post my experience on the 'lockjaw' cache saturday or sunday. Wish me luck y'all!

:D

Good luck!

If you wanna add to the difficulty - tow a canoe with your backpack and stuff in it... :D

actually, i think i will go pick up a few bags of cement and make a few 2 foot cubes and fill the canoe halfway with water. Then Boscoe can sit on the cement cubes in the canoe. Plus, I won't even take my boots, i will just go barefoot through the bush. No Problem! I will also carry the cement blocks with me while searching for the cache. I guess i will need to find a way to strap those to my back.. :)

3/4 of a mile is quite a distance. Are you sure you want to put the dog through this? I would advise at least tow along an innertube as a fall back flotation device. You could put a large trash bag over it and throw your stuff into the middle to keep it dry. I have a friend who swam from the nearest shore point out to the island in Emerald Bay, Lake Tahoe. He used a kick board to rest on and said it was the smartest thing he did for that swim.

Good luck. We do not want to read about you in the Darwin Award Winner Site. :)

Sounds like a fun adventure! But why even worry about "dry bags" & such?

Just tow your hiking boots thru the water & wear'em wet on the other side. And for lunch just fill a thermus full of soup & stick it in one of the boots. And dogfood in a ziploc bag in the other 1 (only if the dog winds up coming along) :D

Geez some people make life sooo complicated :)

Best wishes on the adventure!

Forget the hiking boots. Wear a pair of running shoes. Maybe running flats, while you are swimming. Food? Don't need no food for this adventure. How long you going for? Or else bring an energy bar that is packaged in a watertight type wrapper. Stick it in your pants, or use one of those miniture fanny packs.

Or tow something as noted by others.

Hey, I think I remember about Jack Lalane swimming across S.F. Bay on his 70th birthday towing a boat with people in it, while he was handcuffed.

there is a cache near my house, actually 2 of them, that are on the far side of a lake. The swim will be about 3/4 of a mile or so. I could take a canoe, but I would rather swim it. Anyways, the problem i am facing is how to get my hiking boots across dry. Plus I will probably want to take a lunch and maybe dog food if i grab my parent's lab for a partner. Hence, i might want to get a small day pack across the lake with me. Anyone know of any tips on how to do this.

OBVIOUS Answer: get a float and put your stuff on top. This is good, but i am looking for something innovative that won't be super bulky. If I don't get any ideas, i will just go with this solution, though i don't want to.

I might have to just stash my pack and shoes and wear my flip flops on the other side.

I REALLY appreciate your answers. Thanks!

ps-for anyone curious, i am speaking of the 'lockjaw' and 'left bank' caches in Livermore, CA 94550. :D

3/4 of a mile for a dog is rediculous...they don't have the ability to rest or "float", he will be paddling full time. Most "good swimming" dogs are good for 5 min or so and then they really struggle.

Go by yourself and wear a PFD....I suppose you would tell me that you have never gotten a leg cramp while swimming before, but it happens all too often, even for people who swim recreationally.

Seal-line dry bags are excellent for keeping your goods dry...I don't know if you have ever "towed" something while swimming but it is a hassle, most likely reducing your "swim" to a crawl. A reasonable approach would be to paddle out on a surfboard or boogie board, with a small backpack containing the dry bag inside. I can almost promise you that if you were to swim there, facing the return trip, you'll be glad to have the floating board.

so, i did this cache last weekend. you can see the full report under 'left bank' in the 94550 area code. I swam both ways across the lake. it only ended up being about .15 miles each way, so a total of around 1/3 of a mile. My mom tagged along so she kept boscoe on the near shore with her. However, every time she threw the stick for him in the water he would see me paddling and pass the stick trying to follow me. She said he swam about 1/3 of the distance about 3 or 4 times before she could get him to turn around each time! I think he could have made it, but better safe than sorry. It was a great swim, and a great cache. Thanks for the advice...! B)

so, i did this cache last weekend. you can see the full report under 'left bank' in the 94550 area code. I swam both ways across the lake. it only ended up being about .15 miles each way, so a total of around 1/3 of a mile. My mom tagged along so she kept boscoe on the near shore with her. However, every time she threw the stick for him in the water he would see me paddling and pass the stick trying to follow me. She said he swam about 1/3 of the distance about 3 or 4 times before she could get him to turn around each time! I think he could have made it, but better safe than sorry. It was a great swim, and a great cache. Thanks for the advice...!

Read the whole thread, people! :mad: At least look for replies form the original poster :mad:

You know, one thing we never thought of was those aqua shoes. You know the ones that are okay to wear in the water and then have the rubber soles? Those would have worked well for this, too, and you wouldn't have had to worry about it.