Thankful That I'm A Noob!!

In one of the threads recently some one posted that there are two types of cachers, noobs that appreciate every cache that they find and more experienced cachers that expect every cache to be some kind of enlightening experience or something to that effect. I am happy to say that I am one of those that still appreciates every cache that I find and thankful that someone took the time to hide it. I like every kind of cache from what some would consider a "lame micro" to a level 4/4 challenging hike. Please tell me that I am years away from becoming callous enough to be able to tell someone in my log, even if it is in a hidden way that their cache "sucks". ;) I really hope that this is the case because that is when I will put my gps away and hope to find another hobby that is this satisfying. Thank you to everyone that has hidden a cache for me to find. ;)

In one of the threads recently some one posted that there are two types of cachers, noobs that appreciate every cache that they find and more experienced cachers that expect every cache to be some kind of enlightening experience or something to that effect. I am happy to say that I am one of those that still appreciates every cache that I find and thankful that someone took the time to hide it. I like every kind of cache from what some would consider a "lame micro" to a level 4/4 challenging hike. Please tell me that I am years away from becoming callous enough to be able to tell someone in my log, even if it is in a hidden way that their cache "sucks". ;) I really hope that this is the case because that is when I will put my gps away and hope to find another hobby that is this satisfying. Thank you to everyone that has hidden a cache for me to find. ;)

Noob here also. Well said!

Sn :o:o gans

In one of the threads recently some one posted that there are two types of cachers, noobs that appreciate every cache that they find and more experienced cachers that expect every cache to be some kind of enlightening experience or something to that effect.  I am happy to say that I am one of those that still appreciates every cache that I find and thankful that someone took the time to hide it.  I like every kind of cache from what some would consider a "lame micro" to a level 4/4 challenging hike.  Please tell me that I am years away from becoming callous enough to be able to tell someone in my log, even if it is in a hidden way that their cache "sucks". :D  I really hope that this is the case because that is when I will put my gps away and hope to find another hobby that is this satisfying.  Thank you to everyone that has hidden a cache for me to find. :D

Noob here also. Well said!

Sn :D:D gans

Agreed. Although with my limited time, I tend to be a cache hunter of opportunity. As such, I become choosey about the types of caches I'll look for. I'll leave the easy ones to when I'm taking my nephews or neices out... and maybe someday, when they visit, my grandkiddies. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Although with my limited time, I tend to be a cache hunter of opportunity. As such, I become choosey about the types of caches I'll look for. I'll leave the easy ones to when I'm taking my nephews or neices out... and maybe someday, when they visit, my grandkiddies. :rolleyes:

that's a good strategy to take.

I tend to go for more challenging ones when I'm caching alone, than when I'm with my 8 year old, but we've also been on some long caching hikes together.

Zero's.  It's more 1337 that way.  :rolleyes:

NO NOT 1337! My eyes!

YOu don't happen to play everquest do you?

:D Not even if my life depended on it. I've had my fill of MMORPG's. Hate 'em. Hate em hate em hate em. :D

The whole point of using leet-speak is that, really, only a noob WOULD use it. It's kind of a back-handed slap at leet-speak.

That, and it just makes me look super-cool and neat-o! :D

OK, no it doesn't. :D

I enjoy most caches, but even when I was a noob I didn't get a lot out of walking across a garbage strewn lot to find a Gladware container under a sheet of rotting plywood, filled with slimy water, rusty keychains and a moldy logbook.

As far as a "hidden way" of telling an owner his cach sucks, I really can't bring myself to write much about it beyond "Thanks for the cache, TNLNSL". I guess I could say something like "Got out of the car, tip-toed through the dog poop, walked past the abandoned washing machine and made my way over the pile of discarded tires to the cache site. Searched for 15 seconds and there it was under the rotten plywood. Drained the water, took an algae covered marble, left a flashlight. Couldn't sign the log because it was soaked and covered with brown mold".

Edited by briansnat

Gotta ditto BSnat here. After two years 700+ finds I still get the giggles each and every time I find a cache. :D However, when I find that cache in a poison ivy covered fence, behind a Pizza Hut dumpster, with broken glass all around my feet, and Sasquatch rummaging for breakfast in that dumpster I just gotta wonder:

What was it about this place that compelled you to bring me here by hiding this cache? :D

Don't even start the 'if you don't like them don't seek them' refrain. If you are visiting a town, or even back home you do not know the condition of the setting unless someone provides these details on the cache page. :D And I still want the thrill of the find. I just cannot comprehend why some of us are compelled to create :rolleyes: (used very loosly) these types of hides. :D

C'mon people put SOME thought into it.

Yeah, if there isn't much of an adventure in some way, then what's the point?

I wouldn't say the local unofficial garbage dump is much of an adventure.

Oh my ears, I can't believe you guys are saying that! The local unofficial garbage dump has got to be one of the most wonderful places full of treasure you will ever find! My kids are thrilled at the sight of all the old rusty treasure. They never know what they will find.

I intended to refute the "There are no bad caches" camp by describing my least favorite find -- it was a multi in a parking lot. The coordinates led to a street sign that had the final coords graffiti-ed on the back. These coordinates were also listed in the hint which means the vandalism wasn't even necessary. To top it off, the final cache was only about 100 feet away, at the edge of the same parking lot, making the multiple stages kind of pointless, and literally in a pile of trash.

I was going to post that as rebuttal, in case people didn't really believe such things existed. However, I just reviewed the logs, and I'll be darned, a lot of people sound like they actually liked it. The kids in one picture seemed to be eating it up. So maybe there really are no bad caches. I'm so confused now...

Even after two years with 330 finds under my Geocaching belt I can honestly say that I am as enthusiastic today as I was after I found my first cache. This game is the bomb!

That said . . . I guess I'm still a noob, even after all this time and all those caches! How very cool is that?? :D

Case in point . . . my birthday was this week. Mopar and I had planned on going out to a nice dinner to relax and celebrate the 14th anniversary of my 21st birthday. We found out that a group of cachers was going out that night to snag our newest cache. So, instead of going out to dinner, I thought it would be fun to go watch them find the cache . . . and we did! I blew off my birthday dinner to not go caching but watch someone find my cache. If that's not enthusiasm and a demonstration of my love of the game then I don't know what is.

:D

So there it is . . .

Happy caching and stuff! Here's to all the stuff you can handle and so much more! :rolleyes:

Well, I'm a noob, and I've gotten excited about every cache I've found, too. I can't afford to be choosy, because well.......let's just say.........THERE ARE ONLY 7 CACHES IN OUR ENTIRE COUNTY and one of those is one I hid. I'm planning to hide another one this week, which means I will have hidden 25% of all caches in our county. LOL.

And yes, I do venture out, but I'm just trying to make the point that geocaching opportunities do not abound here, so I'm grateful for every one. Some were more fun than others, but I liked looking for each one of them and get a thrill out of finding something that the majority of the population didn't even know existed and probably never will. I love being part of the 'underground.' :rolleyes:

Good to have finally met you Mastifflover!

Geocaching is not my greatest passion. As you know trout, and trout fishing are! I feel similar about geocaching as I do about trout fishing. No matter how much I love the sport, there will always be times when other people involved in the sport do things to create an undesirable situation for me and many others. In those cases, I will first try to avoid those situations in the future and secondly, I try to do something to correct the situation to make it better for everyone.

It is true some geocachers will always like caches in areas and in a condition like briansnat described, and trout fisherman will still fish in streams that are littered, crowded and overharvested. But don't ya think they would like them even better if a little more caring, thoughtfulness and compassion went in to those caches...and those trout streams?

Those threads showed me that there are cachers who are looking for ways to totally avoid those undesirable caches and other cachers who are trying to prevent those undesirable caches to exist in the first place. It then becomes a conflict between those cachers who want a quality caching experience and those who just want to cache...fisherman are kind of similar.

You and I are lucky, we live in areas full of great caches and great cachers. But I do worry about what the future of caching may look like when I see many caches showing up on the fringes of my cache area that have little caring, thoughtfulness and compassion given to them. Many people I cache with are dealing with some of those undesirable situation now and I really wonder if my passion for this sport will continue if/when I have to start directly dealing with them as well. Hopefully, I will never have to.

Best Regards,

Salvelinus

Newbie, noobie, newb, noob - someone new to the sport.

Also, as noted in this thread, someone who hasn't lost sight of the thrill of the phenomenon. When I log "Thanks for the cache" I actually mean ... um ... thanks .... for the cache.

May the face of your GPS never become clouded with the uncertainty of why you are here.

Case in point . . . my birthday was this week. Mopar and I had planned on going out to a nice dinner to relax and celebrate the 14th anniversary of my 21st birthday

HAPPY b-day...

I'll drink a toast to ya tonight on our weekly Nitecaching trip with the boys....caching then beers here in minnesota...

Our circle-o-finds around our home is non-discriminating. Our cache blitzes on the road are.

It's one thing to mention something negative about a cache.

It's quite another to leave it unfound.

I dare any one o' ya's to pass up a lame cache if you're right there but it was just too trashy/pointless/non-scenic/etc.

To paraphrase the logic of Dr. Phil et al, I don't see anyone complaining about lame caches they DID'NT do.

I hope that puts me in the noob column!

Thanks, Geocaching!

"Every cache you do adds 5 minutes to your life." - anon.

In one of the threads recently some one posted that there are two types of cachers, noobs that appreciate every cache that they find and more experienced cachers that expect every cache to be some kind of enlightening experience or something to that effect. I am happy to say that I am one of those that still appreciates every cache that I find and thankful that someone took the time to hide it. I like every kind of cache from what some would consider a "lame micro" to a level 4/4 challenging hike. Please tell me that I am years away from becoming callous enough to be able to tell someone in my log, even if it is in a hidden way that their cache "sucks". :o I really hope that this is the case because that is when I will put my gps away and hope to find another hobby that is this satisfying. Thank you to everyone that has hidden a cache for me to find. :ph34r:

We have found 200+ caches and have loved them all. I aggree with you 100%.

In one of the threads recently some one posted that there are two types of cachers, noobs that appreciate every cache that they find and more experienced cachers that expect every cache to be some kind of enlightening experience or something to that effect. I am happy to say that I am one of those that still appreciates every cache that I find and thankful that someone took the time to hide it. I like every kind of cache from what some would consider a "lame micro" to a level 4/4 challenging hike. Please tell me that I am years away from becoming callous enough to be able to tell someone in my log, even if it is in a hidden way that their cache "sucks". :o I really hope that this is the case because that is when I will put my gps away and hope to find another hobby that is this satisfying. Thank you to everyone that has hidden a cache for me to find. :ph34r:

Well said indeed! We appreciate every cache we find.

In one of the threads recently some one posted that there are two types of cachers, noobs that appreciate every cache that they find and more experienced cachers that expect every cache to be some kind of enlightening experience or something to that effect......Please tell me that I am years away from becoming callous enough to be able to tell someone in my log, even if it is in a hidden way that their cache "sucks".

That's an oversimplification. There are also newbs who are looking for every cache to be an "enlightening experience", and long time cachers who appreciate every cache they find. And there are the people somewhere in between, who enjoy nearly all kinds of caches, from well thought out urban micros, to nice hikes in the mountains, but don't see the point of a film canister with a slip of paper inside tossed in the bushes in front of the local Burger King. Or who may even see the point of one of them, but not 50 of them in a 2 mile radius.

Edited by briansnat
That's an oversimplification. There are also newbs who are looking for every cache to be an "enlightening experience", and long time cachers who appreciate every cache they find.  And there are the people somewhere in between, who enjoy nearly all kinds of caches, from well thought out urban micros, to nice hikes in the mountains, but don't see the point of a film canister with a slip of paper inside tossed in the bushes in front of the local Burger King. Or who may even see the point of one of them, but not 50 of them in a 2 mile radius.

Point well taken. I have seen some newbies on here lately that seem unsatisified after only a few finds. :ph34r:

I never say that I'm a noob, because I remember some of the stupid stuff that I have done back then, but I would say I am in this case. I've appreciated every cache I have done because every cache has either:

showed me a new place,

got a chance to get outside and get going,

enjoy what God has given me,

sharpened my caching skills,

boosted my numbers (I know I'm evil)

too many to list

There have been some where I was disapointed, but none have made me regret to go look for it. If I get the find, that's enough for me, as long as I don't get arrested, injured or killed over it. :ph34r: