New To Geocahcing

bestdad

Hi all,

I want to get the Garmin V it has alot of flexibilities

and it can be used for both geocaching and in the car.

my question is. Should i stick with my gut feeling and get the Garmin V

or is there a different garmin i should be looking for.

as before i will be using this for mostly goecaching and hiking.

Thanks Tom.

I have a V and I use it to get to the cache location when driving and then holding it, to the cache location via hiking, etc.

It's an older unit and there are more capable (and a bit more expensive) units that are now available that I would consider first, if it's not beyond your means. The biggest limiting factor of the V is the 19mb of memory for detailed map data. Depending where you live, or where you are traveling to, that might or might not be something you need to learn to work with. The 60C/60CS is a color unit with some specific geocaching features and has 56mb of memory so it's 2.5x the amount of detailed map memory to load it up with then the V has.

I assume you're getting the V Deluxe which comes with the City Select software. If you're buying it new from a retailed, check and see if it comes with the latest City Select software, and if not, find out if you can upgrade for free from Garmin. If the 60C(S) doesn't come with City Select, so you'd have to factor that in. I think they have an Auto kit for the 60C(S) so look at that for the software and other accessories for driving.

I really do like my V, and I wonder how everyone without a routing GPS gets to the cache. It must take a lot more work!! :rolleyes:

If you have any questions, ask and I'll give it my best shot in answering them. Also search here for "GPS V" and see if you come up with other threads since I know I've seen them discussed here.

David

A couple of months ago I might have agreed that the V was better than the 60C, but now that I've used the 60 for a number of months (3.5, which is about as long as I used the V religiously) I do like the 60 better.

HOWEVER, the Garmin V is a GREAT GREAT GREAT deal. For the money ($320-ish) you get the receiver, the serial cable to connect it to your computer, the car adapter cable so you can power it via the cig. lighter while driving, the dash mount, a lanyard (?) and and and THE CITY SELECT SOFTWARE for the entire US and bits of Canada.

If you bump up to the 60C you're paying at least $340 for the GPS alone, and then you need to sink another ~90 or so in for the software that won't include the entire US, but only whatever region you choose to purchase. You can get the cig adapter cable for you car for cheap, and for the time being you'll still probably want to invest in a serial cable (also cheap) to connect to your computer. Don't forget a dash mount of some sort if you're going to be using it to autoroute in the car (although I set mine in the cupholder in the center console between my suburban's seats.) By the time you have everything that's included with the $320 Garmin V package, you're closing in on $500.

And as someone mentioned above, even if you end up with City Select 4 in your V package, you are eligible for a free upgrade to v.5 with the purchase of your GPSr as it took place after October <something> of last year.

-=-

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

Couldn't imagine having a gps in the cupholder since i like to be able to see it as I drive. But I'm sure that would work :rolleyes:

Those are interesting points you make about the software and accessories. I'm still hoping on a VI being in the works. It's hard to believe that Garmin doesn't feel that adding color and little more memory to the V wouldn't be a nobrainer. It still would pale to the more expensive driving units such as the 2610 but would more than satisfy my needs.

The V is a great unit, I own one and I love it. As others have suggested, the 19mb of memory is a bit of a problem if you live in a dense area. To help make your decision a little easier, I have created a mapset of your home area (Palo Alto) to give you an idea how much maps you will fit into the V should you buy one. If you travel outside the pink areas of the map quite often, you will find yourself swapping mapsets frequently, however if you rarely leave the pink areas of the map, the V will be a great caching companion and will serve you very well.

Maps included in the pink areas contain:

Sunnyvale, California

San Jose, California

Fremont, California

Hayward, California

Concorde, California

Oakland, California

South San Francisco, California

Stockton, California

Patterson, California

San Francisco, California

These are not the only cities covered, just the names of the maps, so any smaller cities, towns or municipalities that fall inside the pink areas are covered with full door to door routing. Good Luck...Hope this helps!!

2c682802-7e83-4c77-ab8d-78ca1d54fbdf.jpg

Kar of TS!!

The V is not perfect or state of the art, but it is a terrific unit at a phenomenal price, considering the essential software and accessories included in the Deluxe package. You are unlikely to regret buying one, but if you do, you will almost certainly be able to sell it for a minimal discount, as it is a durable unit with capabilities that will not be obselete for the forseeable future. One more point, the CitySelect map software that comes with it includes the right to install and use it on 2 compatable Garmin units. If you purchase a 60 or 76 or Vista etc. later, you will not need to by the software, which you otherwise would, in order to get any functionality out of the units. If you can't see yourself wanting to have two GPSRs, ask most people who post on this forum how many they have and continue to use (I have 2 Vistas, one V, and an old Casio GPS watch that is the only one rarely used, and that is only because it uses an expensive battery).

Just wanted to add one more comment to my previous post. The GPS V is a serial device and loading up the entire 19mb with map data takes about 50 minutes or so. The 60C(S) is USB and loads MUCH quicker.

As a previous poster pointed out, if you're not swapping maps much, it's not an issue, but if you are, you need to plan on letting it run and not just pressing a button and hopping in your car in a couple mins.

Edit: Changed serial to USB - thanks for pointing out the typo Dixie's Crew.

Edited by Team DEMP

Another consideration... I've never used the V myself, but from reading a lot of these threads many people complain about the route calculation speeds. The 60C(S) is a big improvement it routes and re-routes in seconds.

I got it with the auto kit which does come with the FULL UNLOCK City Select North America.

You just have to decide if it's worth the $200 difference ($340 for V kit; $540 for 60C+auto kit) to get more memory, faster processor, faster map downloads and the best screen I've ever seen. Oh yeah, battery life on the 60C is great, so that may also be a consideration.