Geocaching On Segways

Hi All

There was one thread a year ago on this topic, but that's so old I think I'll start a fresh one, now all the "Segway hype" has died down.

I'm Ron, from Canberra, Australia, new to geocaching, but keen to start! I've bought a Magellan Platinum, which seems pretty good now I've learned how to use it! I've been reading heaps of posts, and in my opinion this is a great site! People seem friendly, not too much flaming and a generally nice place to lurk, but I've lurked long enough!

(In 3 months of reading nearly everything ever posted here I think the best post *has* to be Joe Frog's tale of the 200 monkeys quoted in "Ultimate Bad Trade" thread! Could well be the funniest thing I've ever read!)

I'm hoping to do our first cache on the coming weekend, and we will be doing it by Segway! My wife and I own the only two Segways in Canberra (of the five we believe to be in Australia) and they're seriously fun machines! I'd like to stress that we're not simply lazy, my wife has a slight mobility problem and without the Segway she couldn't even attempt caching! I don't have such a good reason, I admit, but I bought one to keep her company, and because she won't get off hers and give me a ride!

I know that the Segways will never take us all the places a good set of feet would, and that anything more than a 2, maybe 3, for terrain will probably be out of the question, but it's better than nothing! Once I've got a bit of experience under my belt I hope to set up some wheelchair friendly caches around Canberra and hopefully get some other disabled folks involved! I've got an idea for a multi that involves cryptic crosswords...

By the way, the Segway has more ability "off road" than many might think, it's capable of handling 20 degree slopes according to the specs, but I've had it up ones that I think would have been closer to 30, it handles grass and gravel tracks with ease and even soft beach sand won't stop it. With the addition of the studded "mountaineer" tyres available here it becomes even more capable! Be sure to check out these pictures to see what it can really do!

Well, that's me de-lurked! I'm looking forward to getting started!

Cheers from Down Under!

Ron

Edited by SegwayAussie

Well, I can't say I know jack about Segeways other than when people want to change the subjet they 'segeway over'. However I'm glad you brought up the thread as I do like the possibilities for mobility and opening up geocaching.

By and large you will find that Most caches can be accessed via one of these things if you can jump off for the last 10'. That's true of the terrain I've seen in my geocaching experiences and based on the photo's in your link.

Hi! Welcome aboard! I have a hurt foot (temporary and minor) and just the other day a friend was making jokes about how I was going to have to start caching with a motorized scooter. I told him that I would get a Segway instead! Well.... but there is that sticker shock with the price on them! I guess I'll wait until I can hike again. I couldn't convince my doctor that one was medically necessary for the insurance so that I could go caching. He did seem interested in caching though! ;)

Keep us updated on your segway caching! I'm thinking you could post some good cache log pics!

;)

(In 3 months of reading nearly everything ever posted here I think the best post *has* to be Joe Frog's tale of the 200 monkeys quoted in "Ultimate Bad Trade" thread! Could well be the funniest thing I've ever read!)

G'Day Mate! Welcome!

You have taste. That is one of my all-time favorites too.

Segways are way cool. I'd like to try one out. They'll probably never be a real success though.

Sn ;);) gans

Hi All

Thanks for the responses and for making me feel so welcome!

To answer the points raised, in random order...

1) Range: The range isn't too bad, about 10-12 miles or so, depending on how you ride. This can be extended by the simple expedient of carrying a spare set of batteries (US$600.00 a set, so a bit expensive, we have one spare set but could use another, at 20lbs a set it's heavy too!). Alternatively, if you're driving around between rides you can recharge in the car by hooking the Seg to a cheap inverter, a charging Seg only requires about 300W, so you don't need a flashy one. One tip if you find yourself stuck with flat batteries in a city is to find a multi-storey carpark with a lift, is to take the lift to the top and then ride down the ramps, repeat this a few times and you'll get a handy recharge frome the regenerative braking system! I've never done this though, I think I'd get tired before I ever ran out of batteries!

2) Never be a real success: Who knows? Not me! They've got a really enthusiastic user base but so far they've marketed very badly. They've just hired a new marketing exec from Harley Davidson, and a new CEO, and they are promising some "exciting new marketing endeavours" so maybe they'll get their act together?

3) Sticker Shock: Well, yes, they sure aren't cheap, but competitive with other high end toys like Skidoos and Jet Skis. They're pretty costly too! And you can use a Segway every day, whereas most people only use those toys a few times a year.

4) Don't know jack about them?: The easy answer there is to go to Segway or the Segway User Forum and have a read! Or just post your questions to this thread and I'll try and answer them. They really are quite amazing machines, the closest experience I can compare them with is skiing, but they're not really like skiing! They are different to anything else you've ever ridden! Like a magic carpet, some say, but sadly I've never had a chance to ride a magic carpet, so I can't confirm this!

5) As Mobility devices: A number of mobility impaired folk find them wonderfully helpful! A few weeks ago I gave a demo to a guy who'd had his leg amputated above the knee and he's resolved to buy one as soon as he can! There's a forum at Segwaychat dedicated to users with disabilities, and a website at DRAFT (Disability Rights Advocates For Technology) If you have mobility problems, or know somebody who does, check out the Segway, it might just change your life!

Cheers, and thanks again for letting me play! :rolleyes:

Ron

Edited by SegwayAussie

Have to admit those are some very interesting and effective modifications to a Segway. Never would have thought you take one on some of the terrain shown on the website.

I know if I had mobility problems I would seriously look at one as a way to remain acitve in the outdoors. This way I could still go places and not have to worry about restrictions placed on gas powered engines on hiking trails.

I've had my Segway for about 20 months and I'd have to say that of the 21 caches I've done so far, only two were Segway-friendly. It seems like many Terrain=1 caches are not well suited for Segging in, even though the machine can handle rugged terrain and be pushed/pulled easily.

Still, it's a blast to ride, and I love giving demos just to see the grin on a first-time rider's face!

:rolleyes:

Nancy

In 3 months of reading nearly everything ever posted here I think the best post *has* to be Joe Frog's tale of the 200 monkeys quoted in "Ultimate Bad Trade" thread! Could well be the funniest thing I've ever read!

Woo hoo! Hear that, ya slobs? I'm internationally famous! :rolleyes::D

And hi Ron -- your post reminded me. I remember reading an article in the past few weeks on some tour in London that is done on Segways. I thought that was pretty neat -- the price included Segway rental, training, and a swap for a fresh one at the halfway point of the tour.

Sounded neat to me for a one-time thing, but I seriously doubt I'd ever own one.

And speaking of Segways -- would that fall into the "motorized scooter" class for right-of-way, or "bicycle?"

Joel :D

Hi Nancy,

I've got a feeling we've corresponded before, via Segwaychat (I'm TiVoAussie there, TiVos being another obsession of mine). At the time I was looking for a second Segway to buy... Any chance you might work (or have worked) for company not entirely unrelated to Segways? I wound up buying my second one from a guy called Scott at such a company, do you know him buy any chance?

Sorry to hear that you haven't found too many Seg-friendly caches, I've spoken to the hider of the one that we plan to do first, it's a multi, and all on bicycle tracks around our big lake in Canberra, only prob is we'll have to do it in two goes, as it exceeds the range we can get on a single set of batteries, unless we can do some by car, which is not what we hoped... Never mid we'll give it a try!

Hey Joe Frog!

See, you're famous for more than just the marshmallow guns!! ... I don't know if we can get small enough marshmallows here in Aus, all the ones I've found are around 1.25in diameter, yours seem to be smaller?

I don't know if you wrote the monkey story yourself, but if you did it's become a web legend! There are versions HERE in Pig Latin, Redneck, "Swedish Chef" and more.

There are Segway tours in Paris and in Thailand, as well as London and sveral operating around the USA! I'm giving some thought to doing them in Sydney, but there are a lot of legislative hurdles, as always :)

Howdy Bradtal,

I've checked out the "home made Segway" before, and while clever it would be to darn scary for me to ride, there is an insane level of "redundancy" in a real Segway, and it needs it, imagine a sudden and total loss of power or wheel lock up at 12MPH, that'll be some face plant! His, by his own admission, has no safety features at all, whereas the real Segway is vastly over-engineered! No thanks, I'll pass on that one!

Cheers All!

Ron

And speaking of Segways -- would that fall into the "motorized scooter" class for right-of-way, or "bicycle?"

Joel, since motorized scooters here in Alabama are classified by their engine size i.e. cubic centimeters, it would not be a motorized scooter since it has a motor(s) instead of an engine :)

Ron/TivoAussie - you are correct - nice to see you here as well as segwaychat.com :) I do know a couple of Scotts here - not sure which one may have been your seller though. Glad you're enjoying the ride (should I say glide?)

Joel/JoeFrog - I think it depends on what your state regs say, but typically Segway riders are considered to have the same rights/rights-of-way as pedestrians.

Happy caching!

Nancy

Hey Joe Frog!

See, you're famous for more than just the marshmallow guns!! ... I don't know if we can get small enough marshmallows here in Aus, all the ones I've found are around 1.25in diameter, yours seem to be smaller?

I don't know if you wrote the monkey story yourself, but if you did it's become a web legend! There are versions HERE in Pig Latin, Redneck, "Swedish Chef" and more.

Hiya!

LOL -- and I can't claim originality on either idea; I only brought them to geocaching! Wish I could say I wrote that jewel; it's resided on "Joel's Joke Page" for years. I got the marshmallow gun idea from a pipefitter friend of my Dad's many years ago. I saw one at a craft show about 4-5 years ago, and it rekindled the idea.

The marshmallow guns are made from 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC pipe. Not sure of the metric equivalent, but it needs to be just about the same size as the mini-marshmallows. The parts you need should be available at any hardware store. Hope that helps!