Starting Geocache in a New Country - Suggestions

Guest ToShIvA

Guest ToShIvA

First of all, Hi... I'm new to this... I think it is really fun and I'm planning to start it in my country (Dominican Republic, in the Caribbean)... Well, I have 3 caches planned already, and one of them is going to be at one of the only 3 degree Confluences in my country.... Before I can Start start I need to hide some caches, I'm thinking about 8 or something so I can motivate people out here.... Another problem that I have is that our native language is Spanish, and everything out here in the page is in English, so if someone doesn't knows english (wich many people don't) it is going to be pretty hard to them, so I plan on making a Geocaching Home Page in Spanish, parallel to this one (of course, with your permission Jeremy)...

Actually, this seems pretty hard for just one person, but I'll try to be ready for late march - early april... since I have to hide many caches, it's going to take up long....

Now... I would appreciate any suggestions, I'm burning my brain, and I guess that the help of all of you out there that know about this can help me.... Thanks a lot, and sorry for taking up your time....

Orlando....

Guest cache_ninja

hey, welcome

once you get some caches hidden, a story in a press can really help alot in terms of getting other people involved. its a pretty interesting topic, so its not hard to pitch it to them. as far as the language barrier, that more difficult, but if you just create a simple geocaching page for DR, listing the caches in both languges, just to begin with, thats a great start. it can evolve and get more elaborate as stuff progresses. when 'caching started herein the US the url was more more simple, and it was still jst as fun.

c/n

[This message has been edited by cache_ninja (edited 02-05-2001).]

et one up for you. The benefit of having me host is I will eventually be able to update your site with new caches as they are added to geocaching.com

Cheers,

Jeremy

Hello,

My name is Nik and I'm from Malaysia. I read an article in a local newspaper (I have copied the URL to you via a separate e-mail) on geocaching and I happen to have a portable GPS (Magellan Colortrak) that's why I joined.

In Malaysia, most of us speak/understand English so language isn't too much of a problem, but I do not know how many, if any geocachers there are in Malaysia. Could you assist me by putting me in contact with them.

Perhaps you could send them my e-mail.

As we are geographically close, could you include geocachers in Singapore in any notification that you send out?

Thanks,

Nik icon_biggrin.gif

Hello,

My name is Nik and I'm from Malaysia. I read an article in a local newspaper (I have copied the URL to you via a separate e-mail) on geocaching and I happen to have a portable GPS (Magellan Colortrak) that's why I joined.

In Malaysia, most of us speak/understand English so language isn't too much of a problem, but I do not know how many, if any geocachers there are in Malaysia. Could you assist me by putting me in contact with them.

Perhaps you could send them my e-mail.

As we are geographically close, could you include geocachers in Singapore in any notification that you send out?

Thanks,

Nik icon_biggrin.gif

I hope to visit Singapore and maybe Southern Malaysia in April. I would love to search for stashes over there.

(PS I bet the jungle makes it really hard to get and maintain a good GPS signal, what a challenge!)