What Is Appropriate To Write In A Log Entry?

Is it appropriate to write any critical or non-complimentary comments about a cache when making a log entry? I have seen many caches and sometimes I do find caches that have, in my opinion, a problem with them. For example, the cache may be too exposed, the container is of poor quality, or the cache location has lots of trash. Is it appropriate to put these types of comments in a log entry?

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

I DONT THINK YOU NEED TO SAY WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE CACHE, JUST FIX THE PROBLEM, HIDE IT BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, CARRY AN EXTRA PEN, PENCIL AND LOG BOOK ON YOU SO YOU CAN REPLACE WORN OUT ONES WITH. TAKE A SMALL TRASH BAG WITH YOU ON YOUR ADVENTURES SO YOU CAN PACK OUT THE TRASH. FIX WHAT EVER YOU CAN WHEN YOUR THERE. OF COURSE WE ALL CANT GO AROUND CARRING AMMO CANS AND TUPPERWARE TO REPLACE EVERY CACHE, THAT IS THE OWNERS RESPONSIBILITY BUT JUST HELP OUT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. :D

In my online log entires I have included such information as "no log book so I added one", "log book full so I added one", "oops, I appear to have taken the pen home with me, someone please bring one", "cache is clearly visable from the road and appears to be on private property", "trashed out as much as I could but the next cacher might want to bring a garbage bag with them to trash out with", "logbook is ruined and entire cache is wet" (followed by a description of why), "cache cover has been chewed through, please bring a new container" (followed by: "entire cache has been placed in ammo container" a week later), and of course the one I still worry about:

"I'm sorry if this sounds rude but please consider taking some sandpaper and a can of spray paint and redoing the outside of the cache. It's proximity to the soccer fields, the way it's hidden, and the fact that it's been muggled before makes me think it's likely to be muggled again. Every side of this ammo can talks about the ammo it used to contain and none of it says anything about geocaching or has any contact information. A can of brown spray paint and a sharpie marker might really avoid some problems if someone's child finds this during a soccer match."

If it's a problem I can repair right then I do so. If I consider it a serious problem I log it online. Minor problems are forgotten. If it's been previously mentioned in the logs and I fixed it the I log the fix. For a few caches I have gone back and performed the maintainence that I was unable to do when I found it (such as the cache container incident).

Note that I didn't remove the chewed through cache. If the owner didn't approve of my replacement container, they could do what they wanted and keep the ammo container. That's why I have not repainted the other ammo can I've found. It needs painting in my opinion but I do consider the ammo can their property.

I've tried to do it politely but I've always done my best to be honest about it. My tact could probably use some work, but I value direct honest feedback, both positive and negitive, and I try to provide it when necessary.

Edited by bons

If you have something constructive to say, then go ahead and say it. I've expressed concerns in my logs about caches being in areas where they might be discovered by non-geocachers, exposed to flood, set in poison ivy, leaky container, wet logbook, etc....

If you simply want to say the cache is lame, skip it and just say "thanks for the cache".

Sometimes a polite and carefully worded e-mail to the owner is better than a critical statement in the logs. Some people don't mind criticism, but don't appreciate it being done in public.

Edited by briansnat
Don't be unnecessarily critical in your online log.

Provide criticism politely in an e-mail.

Many geocachers convey their true feelings in a more subtle fashion.

Well, we once logged a cache simply as...

took/left nothing

...and included 3 photos of the area, including a derelict building, litter (way too much to trash-out) and a graffiti'd sign. We didn't include the pictures of the industrial effluent-filled stream or the refuse tip.

I think it got the idea across that we weren't entirely happy with our caching trip that day.

If problems with a cache aren't logged, how will the owner know maintenance is required?

I also think cache containers are the owner's property and shouldn't be removed, modified, moved, or changed by seekers at will.

Without feedback, owners won't know if their caches are enjoyed or not. Just keep it polite.

I've had a problem too sometimes. There are caches that I've found (not many) that are terrible caches. Thoughtless placement that with just a little effort could have been great caches. What do I say then? Signed the logbook?

What I really want to say is If you'd walk farther than 100 feet from the parking lot, you'd find that there's a whole world of great woods out here. Why place your cache in the first knothole you find rather than exploring these great woods and finding a truly remarkable location?!?!

That being said, I usually suffer in silence and just place a TNLNSL. ((sigh))

Bon's gives good feedback.

As a cache owner if a cache is going good I really dont' feel an urge to check up on it. Those logs are my only feedback. Now if you really want to slam the cache then send a PM and keep the flames private.

Edit: TNLN has become universal for "I didn't have much fun, your cache sucked" though there are just enough people out there to where that is the extent of there ability to express themselves to where you can never be quite sure about any one log. But if they all read that way...

Also there is no rule that says you have to write anything about the cache in the online log. There is nothing wrong with telling a story that the cache scene reminded you of and so on. There are cachers out there legendary for telling these stories.

Edited by Renegade Knight
I've had a problem too sometimes. There are caches that I've found (not many) that are terrible caches. Thoughtless placement that with just a little effort could have been great caches. What do I say then? Signed the logbook?

What I really want to say is If you'd walk farther than 100 feet from the parking lot, you'd find that there's a whole world of great woods out here. Why place your cache in the first knothole you find rather than exploring these great woods and finding a truly remarkable location?!?!

That being said, I usually suffer in silence and just place a TNLNSL. ((sigh))

I feel the same way. I'm about to the point that I'm gonna write exactly what I feel and if the log is deleted I'm gonna raise hell with GC.com because it was deleted.....

Ok...

maybe not yet...

but I see it coming...

southdeltan

A thought: if it's information that would serve as a warning for other cachers (e.g. "This cache is in a big patch of poison oak") then I would certainly leave it in the log. If it's an issue that you think the owner should address, you might want to leave it in private mail instead.

In the physical logbook located in the cache, I usually write a few complementary words (usually about how clever the hide, or what a neat place it is). As for the log here on gc.com I usually do the same, but include concerns I would have. This way other cachers and the owner would be able to see your concerns. As always be tactful with criticizm.

Some people want the honest truth about their cache and its location. Others can't handle it if their hide gets slammed because the area got trashed after they hid the cache.

I'm not sure there are any set in stone rules to follow. Even trying to follow the golden rule of treating others as you would like to be treated doesn't always work in these cases.

There are many cache hiders out there (myself included) who want to know what you REALLY think about the cache and the area. Did you like the location or did you think it sucked. What about the container, contents, etc. Give me the unfiltered truth. We want to know because in many cases that is how we know if we need to make a maintenance trip. The other reason I want to see this info in the logs is for the benefit of those who come later. Then them know what to expect (without giving away too much of course). Finally, not everyone will remember to send a PM or an e-mail after logging the find, so if they don't do it on the log they just don't say anything.

Then there are people that don't want the truth. They just want your praise for the fact that they figured out how to put a piece of paper and a magnet in an altoids tin and stick it on a guard rail. They don't want to hear that the container has rusted through and that you got an infection because you cut your finger on it.

Somewhere there is a happy balance, but I'm still looking for it. :) Eventually though, you do end up at least figuring out the locals and which ones fit into which category.

I definitely like solid feedback on my caches, especially with co-ords. My little yellow eTrex and I try as hard as we can but the updated techno-freaks are a real help in getting better numbers.

I like to hear if the cache has been compromised or needs maintenance. i strongly agree with the idea of packing extra supplies to help a cache out. (although I did learn that the police look questionably at people carrying TOO may plastic baggies)

I love feedback and hope my fellow cachers take it well.