Magellan Sportrak

Why is it that everyone discusses the magellan Meridians and the garmin etrex and 60CS? No one discusses the Sportrak line? Whats wrong with them? The sportrak color is small, its color, it has a 3 axis compass.

The reason no one discusses the Sportrak line is there is nothing wrong with them. Ever notice that all the talk about any other kind is the problems people have with them? :D

Of course my opinion is biased. I own one. AND LOVE IT!!!

I get remarks all the time how someone found my caches with a Garmin. I tell them it was planted with a Magellan. So who's right? :D

What are the sportraks advantages? Does it have the lag that people complain about with the Meridians? Does it have enough memory? I haven't found any stores that carry them so I haven't been able to touch one. I was hoping to get to see some other GPS's at the local CITO event last week but I missed it because my daughter decided to come early and was born the night before.

Very satisfied ST Pro user here :D. Great size, easy controls - even with gloves, good accuracy, pretty immune to tree cover. Enough memory to hold the topo maps of most of Illinois, Maryland and Ohio (my 3 most frequented locations). What's not to like?

Ok I'll discuss them.

I like the size but they need better resolution and a higher speed processor. You can't do much about the Magellan interface since they are Magellans but they do seem to have a menu item for everythnig you could want to do. It's just a matter of finding it.

So there you have it fix two things in the next generation toss in more RAM and you are good to go.

Edit: Man that matches my main gripes about the GPS V...

Edited by Renegade Knight

I have two, the Sport track color and the Sport track map, I just ot the map for a back up at Costco, I could not pass up the price, 199.99 with TOPO software then you e a 50.00 rebate. The 6mb of memory is plenty for geocaching. I did not need the software so I sold it on e-bay for over 60 dollars.

I also have a Meridan Gold but I messed it up so it is in for repairs now, and they are going to fix it under waranty.

the only problems i see with the sportrac color is the screen is hard to see under sunny conditions. and of coarse the outdated mapping software.other then that i like the sportrac color model and it serves my use out on the water. the sportrac pro model has the cracking problems or i would still have it.

Why is it that everyone discusses the magellan Meridians and the garmin etrex and 60CS? No one discusses the Sportrak line? Whats wrong with them? The sportrak color is small, its color, it has a 3 axis compass.

The reason no one discusses the Sportrak line is there is nothing wrong with them. Ever notice that all the talk about any other kind is the problems people have with them? ;)

I get remarks all the time how someone found my caches with a Garmin. I tell them it was planted with a Magellan. So who's right? ;)

Nothing wrong with the SporTracks????????

one thread

Second thread

Third thread

]Fourth thread

The collor has a different case so it does not suffer the "stress cracks". But the SporTracks HAVE been discussed, and there are problems.

I own a magellan, so this is not a "Magellan Bash"

fixed link

Edited by Cherokeecacher

first thread is a bad link, second thread started after I posted my question and the other 2 were complaints about the cracking.

I wanted to know about features and performance. The opinion on the screen being hard to read in bright sunlight was the exact kind of information I was looking for.

I wondered how you could get color, compass, mapping all in a small package at a low price. You can get 2 color sportraks for one 60cs. If it was so cheap and had so many features why aren't they more popular? Now I know...

first thread is a bad link, second thread started after I posted my question and the other 2 were complaints about the cracking.

I wanted to know about features and performance. The opinion on the screen being hard to read in bright sunlight was the exact kind of information I was looking for.

I wondered how you could get color, compass, mapping all in a small package at a low price. You can get 2 color sportraks for one 60cs. If it was so cheap and had so many features why aren't they more popular? Now I know...

You said no one discusses the "Sprtrak line". I pointed out that they have been discussed.

The reason no one discusses the Sportrak line is there is nothing wrong with them. Ever notice that all the talk about any other kind is the problems people have with them? 

I also pointed out that the "Sportrk line" does have problems.

If you meant anything other than what you said, I cannot help it if I responded wrong. ;) be more specific next time in your original question.

Cherokee, I was starting to get a little surprised that no one mentioned the cracking. As much of a "non problem" people may consider it, it is an almost unavoidable, inevitable design flaw. It really sucks I think, because otherwise, I really like the SporTraks. Even with their flaw, I would still take one over an eTrex.

Other than the cracking, they are great. I had one, but it cracked, so I got it fixed and sold it. I am sure it will crack again. It seems that most of them do, even after they get "fixed." If Magellan would really fix that problem, they would sell quite a few more.