1directroute, 2meridians

Ok, I have a MeriPlat that I love and will continue to use as my main GPSr for caching and hiking. I want to buy a MeriColor for a backup and to let friends use, but mainly to use in the truck for auto-routing. I think the color will be easier for my aging eyes to read while driving.

My question is this... can I upload maps from my DR using a card reader to an SD card using my MeriPlat's serial no. (already on my pc) and have it work in the color? Or even easier, just copy all of the files from my MeriPlat's card to a new card and put it in the Color. Or am I going to have to uninstall and reinstall DR to change the serial numbers and make it work?

All help is greatly appreciated :D

Edited by Warriorrider

Although it may not be strictly within the licensing agreement (and *I*, for one, don't care enough to look it up), yes...you should be able to do this. You must specify the serial number of your meridian in the map compilation for the map file to be able to be read by the GPS, but the program does allow for you to change the serial number.

Just the other day I saw a passing mention by someone that there may be a limit of 4 serial number changes before...well, I don't know if the program self-immolates or what. I don't know where that came from and at this point I cannot regard that as anything more than rumor. But it did raise the suggestion that you may not be able to switch numbers indefinetely. I almost feel bad passing such insubstantial "information" along, but FWIW there it is (anyone know differently?)

I also heard that you can only do 4 serial numbers. But I have two computers, One for my color sport track and one for my Meridian gold. Also unless the color screen for the Meridian is better than the one one the Sport track, forget about using it for driving, on the sport track it is very hard to see the screen in dalylight. If you have polarized sunglasses, forget about the color screen. I use my sport track for a backup and use my Meridian Gold and Sport track Map 90% of the time.

I have a MeriColor and use it on my dash with DirectRoute. I haven't had any trouble seeing the screen while driving other than my nearsightedness. I have to tilt my head back and look at the screen from UNDER my glasses so that it's not out of focus! Other than that, I haven't had any trouble with seeing it. Also, with my polarized prescription sunglasses, I don't have any problems reading the map screen.

I have a MeriColor and use it on my dash with DirectRoute. I haven't had any trouble seeing the screen while driving other than my nearsightedness. I have to tilt my head back and look at the screen from UNDER my glasses so that it's not out of focus! Other than that, I haven't had any trouble with seeing it. Also, with my polarized prescription sunglasses, I don't have any problems reading the map screen.

Thanks JetSkier. Maybe the MeriColor is easier to see than the Sportrak Color. Unfortunately there are no stores near me that carry them so that I can put one in my hands and try for myself. I'm glad to hear that you have not had any difficulties seeing yours :rolleyes:

Hey Warrior. As far as I know, you just manually change the serial number on DR and then create the file. You cant just load your plat maps onto a color, but, you by no means have to uninstall the software.

When you create the region, choose "upload to sd card" then, on the next screen at the top, you can change the serial number to whatever you want. Thats what I did for my SporTrak.

Hey Warrior. As far as I know, you just manually change the serial number on DR and then create the file. You cant just load your plat maps onto a color, but, you by no means have to uninstall the software.

When you create the region, choose "upload to sd card" then, on the next screen at the top, you can change the serial number to whatever you want. Thats what I did for my SporTrak.

Ok, Cool. I thought that I had read somewhere that DR could only be used with one GPSr. Good to know... thanks. :rolleyes: