Lost Satilites & Off The Road

tireman

:D While on vacation in AZ we attempted a couple of cache, one at 35.2167 111.6368. My Garmin ETrax indicated we were almost 600' off a road that showes well on the Topo map. This problem occured for a distance of about 1/4 mile along the road as it took an S curve. No Trees and we were high up with nothing blocking the sky.

Later in the day while visiting the Sunset Volcano National Monument we repeatidly lost all but 1 or 2 satillites for about an hour while in the Nat monument area. Again no trees or problems with view of the sky.

Still later we were about 50 mi South in Sedona, AZ and had no trouble finding a number of caches so it wasn't the batteries as they continued to work well for a few days .

Ideas?

:D While on vacation in AZ we attempted a couple of cache, one at 35.2167 111.6368. My Garmin ETrax indicated we were almost 600' off a road that showes well on the Topo map. This problem occured for a distance of about 1/4 mile along the road as it took an S curve. No Trees and we were high up with nothing blocking the sky.

Later in the day while visiting the Sunset Volcano National Monument we repeatidly lost all but 1 or 2 satillites for about an hour while in the Nat monument area. Again no trees or problems with view of the sky.

Still later we were about 50 mi South in Sedona, AZ and had no trouble finding a number of caches so it wasn't the batteries as they continued to work well for a few days .

Ideas?

Not sure when you were having those problems but there was some major sun spot activity a couple weeks back and that might have had a lot to do with it. Everything gets screwed up when the atmosphere gets that charged.

The Garmin (and TOPO!) topo maps for AZ are not all that great. Double that if you are on secondary roads.

Sunset Volcano National Monument is a known alian visitation site. This pretty much trashed GPS reception while they are in town.

As for Sedona, perhaps the Vortex gave you a hand.

(just kidding on #2 and #3 I was using my GPS at about 5P in the Verde Valley and had great reception)

Saw your log on my Somthing Fishy. Hope you enjoyed your visit to our state!

I know my Garmin Vista went whacko when we were in UT at the end of March. We were caching along the perimeter of a nuclear waste site (and I thought they were all in NV!). The compass needle was going every which way and we just had to go on basic instinct to find the cache. It was verrrrry strange. We had to get a mile or so away from the waste site before the compass went back to normal.

We checked ourselves for a glow level after the sun went down... :D

Anne Bonney; Evans, CO

P.S.: Maybe the missing satellite reception was due to reassignment of the satellites to help search for WMD's?? Yea, vortexes in Sedona IS more reasonable, isn't it?

Whenever you loose the sats, it might be wise to look at your sats page and see where they are.

Are there none near overhead? All out on the horizon? Perhaps hidden behind local hills? Or even all clustered in the same spot in the sky? All of these will give you troubles.

At least that will give you some idea what's going on.