Removing Trash

Snail Hairs Clan

Although we've only gone on a few hunts so far, we've already come across our share of trash in cache. There have been obvious (bottle caps, wrappers, etc) items or things outdated (last year's tides schedule). But where do you draw the line when cleaning up a cache? I realize the line "one man's trash is another's treasure" might be thrown about here, but what I'm hoping to see is personal guidelines that you might use or examples of certain situations in which you made a judgement call and removed items (even if you also decided to trade for something else or simply restock the cache with some of your own swag)

Although we've only gone on a few hunts so far, we've already come across our share of trash in cache. There have been obvious (bottle caps, wrappers, etc) items or things outdated (last year's tides schedule). But where do you draw the line when cleaning up a cache? I realize the line "one man's trash is another's treasure" might be thrown about here, but what I'm hoping to see is personal guidelines that you might use or examples of certain situations in which you made a judgement call and removed items (even if you also decided to trade for something else or simply restock the cache with some of your own swag)

I have only found one cache that had trash in it that I thought should be removed. I guess someone could trade for it but I doubt it. The trash was an empty chip package, used napkin, sandwich wrappings, orange peel and some tissues. The only thing missing was the lunch bag that it was originally in. :D

As for restocking my kids have probably added more to caches than they have traded. :D

When placing a cache if you stock it with nice stuff and cool toys then on the cache page you should indicate to finders they are to trade up, trade evenly, or not trade at all. This may cut down on people leaving expired coupons, golf tees, and Mardi Gras beads. I've found themed caches where the owner requests a certain type of object be traded. If I don't have something that matches I simply don't trade. It's frustrating to walk a good distance through difficult terrain only to find a cache full of junk.

I always keep plenty of extra items to help out those caches that are full of junk. It is a strictly personal choice as to what is and what is not trash. My personal motto is if you would not want to trade for it then it might not be worth leaving there.

If it's real garbage like candy wrappers, rusted keychains, losing scratch off lottery tickts, expired coupons, etc.... I'll remove them. Anything boarderline, I'll leave. If the cache is in a quality container and in an area were it's not likely to get muggled, I'll help out by restocking it a bit, but if it's a container that is only going leak, or get stolen soon, I won't bother. I figure no sense wasting perfectly good trade items.

I see that someone else has the same concerns I do. You know I cought alot of flack from others about this issue.

Some feel your the problem because your not doing anything to help out. Some feel you should take the garbage

and trade up for that garbage with something nice this way your helping out. RIGHT! You know what I say IM not

trading anything for garbage period. The other thing isn't it against the law to litter??? Say for example if you got a

ammo box and it's full of garbage isn't that littering? I know thats what I want you find on a nice hike with a beautiful

view is an ammo box full of garbage. How about you. Thats why I always carry garbage this way IM willing to trade my

garbage for your garbage and IM willing to trade for something nice as well if theres anything to trade for. Am I angry you bet

Maybe we should put a stop to geocaching all together if thats all were doing is littering the enviroment. And keep this

in mind others feel your the problem.

I know thats what I want you find on a nice hike with a beautiful view is an ammo box full of garbage. How about you. Thats why I always carry garbage this way IM willing to trade my garbage for your garbage and IM willing to trade for something nice as well if theres anything to trade for.

Er, to whom are you sending a message when you trade garbage for garbage? The cache owner didn't put it there to begin with. The person who left it there isn't coming back. So what's your point? If you don't feel like cleaning or upgrading the cache, fine. Just close the box and walk away.

When placing a cache if you stock it with nice stuff and cool toys then on the cache page you should indicate to finders they are to trade up, trade evenly, or not trade at all.

It may be just me, but whenever I see that on a cache listing I'm disgusted. I get the feeling that the owner thinks I'm the kind of person who would deliberately leave a rock from the side of the trail for a new multi-tool. It's like an accusation somehow.

It's almost as if a restaurant put up a sign that said "No Spitting on the Floor, please." It makes me wonder what kind of place this is that they had to put up the sign. Was spitting on the floor a commn thing? Should I watch where I step? I think I'll just eat somewhere else thank you.

If it's real garbage like candy wrappers, rusted keychains, losing scratch off lottery tickts, expired coupons, etc.... I'll remove them. Anything boarderline, I'll leave. If the cache is in a quality container and in an area were it's not likely to get muggled, I'll help out by restocking it a bit, but if it's a container that is only going leak, or get stolen soon, I won't bother. I figure no sense wasting perfectly good trade items.

Now, that's a great guideline!

That's exactly what we do.

Ive given up on people trading up, or even. It is for this reason that my last 2 caches, Ive told people that no trading is required.

have you found that this improved your cache any?

When the caches were first put out, I filled them with finder's buttons. I think buttons make nice cache items because they're inexpensive and give the finder something to remember the cache by.

My 2 most recent caches were put out with nothing but finder's buttons in them with a specially marked button for the FTF. I am hoping that by telling people that trading is optional, they will be less likely to leave crap. Ill just make regular maintenance runs to re-stock the buttons.

Its too soon to tell if this will work.

The other thing isn't it against the law to litter??? Say for example if you got a

ammo box and it's full of garbage isn't that littering? I know thats what I want you find on a nice hike with a beautiful view is an ammo box full of garbage. How about you.

An ammo box geocache (or other cache container) carefully concealed from sight is not litter, no matter what the contents.

I am hoping that by telling people that trading is optional, they will be less likely to leave crap.

Trading is always optional.

Perhaps you mis-understood me. In these 2 particular caches, I am allowing TSLN. There is always the option of TNLN, but that goes without saying.

My trash guideline... If it's broken - gone.. If it's dangerous/against the rules (pills, knives, etc) - gone... If it's paper stuff about an event that's happened - gone.. If it's something I wouldn't want in trade, but is an acceptable item in one piece, then it's not for me to decide...

The only time I'd take something out that's borderline is if it was prohibiting the container from closing.

And, yes, I'd like to find mardi gras beads!

I guess we are very lucky here in the Des Moines, IA area. I have not run into a cache that I really thought was full of garbage. There are many caches which I have not traded any items, true. But no candy wrappers or losing lottery tickets.

I currently own ten caches. Only one of them is significantly old, true (because I adopted it). But nonetheless, I have not seen people put crap in any of my boxes which is truly objectionable. Maybe I've just been unduly fortunate. . .

If you decide it's gone do you replace it with something you consider acceptable?

The only items that come to mind are:

1. A Lego minifigure that was missing its arms. Our youngest team member removed this but didnt trade for it. He later fitted the Lego figure with prosthetic arms (really.)

2. Some promotional radio station bumber stickers. They had been folded up to fit in the cache and so weren't in the best condition, which made our removal decision easier.

In both cases we traded for other items and definately 'traded up' so I guess you could say we technically did exchange for it but that certainly wasn't our intention.

I realize cache owners rightly have more latitude with their own caches, so I guess a related question would be: Do you take items out that make you :D when maintaining? (Besides obvious trash)