High Gas Prices Affecting Your Caching?

gbod

Gas where I live is around $1.90 per gallon, the highest it's been in a while. Are high gas prices putting a damper on your caching adventures?

Gas is relatively cheap in the U.S. compared to other parts of the world. Gas is also cheaper than many other things we consume. I saw this and thought it was interesting:

You Think A Gallon Of Gas Is Expensive?

------------------------------------

Makes one think, and puts things in perspective.

Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 . . . . . $10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 . . . . . $9.52 per gallon

Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 . . . . . $10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 . . . . . $10.00 per gallon

Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 . . . . . $33.60 per gallon

Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 . . . . . $178.13 per gallon

Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 . . . . . $123.20 per gallon

Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 . . . . . $25.42 per gallon

Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 . . . . . $84.48 per gallon

And this is the REAL KICKER......

Evian water 9 oz for $1.49 . . . . . $21.19 per gallon

$21.19 FOR WATER!....and the buyers don't even know the source.

No, gas at $4.50 per US gallon is not affecting anyone's geocaching over here :)

In fact in Europe we haven't noticed the latest increase in the price of oil much, as it's been offset by the more or less equivalent fall in the dollar (plus, only about 25% of the pump price of gas depends on oil; the rest is taxes).

I reckon that US drivers with 18mpg SUVs still pay slightly less per mile for gas than I do in my MX-5 (Miata).

Today they raised the price in Sweden to about SEK10.22 per liter, that is $5.24 per gallon, and people are not upset... We had higher prices last year, up to $6 per gallon...

And what was the price in the US did you say? :D

Your IKEA furnature is probably less expensive than it is here! :D

Today they raised the price in Sweden to about SEK10.22 per liter, that is $5.24 per gallon, and people are not upset... We had higher prices last year, up to $6 per gallon...

Your IKEA furnature is probably less expensive than it is here! :D

Nope, they must import it from the low cost countries to Sweden! True...

Yeah the price around San Francisco is about $2.15 and I have to rely on other people to get me to the caches because I don't have a liscence.:D So Yeah Prices are affecting me as well as the added pressure from teachers, So the California School state standard will be better than it was last year. :D

Ficky

That's because oil is priced on the international market in US$. So when other the exchange rate fluctuates so does the price in every other country except the U.S.

Yeah, we are spoiled.

Price of one gallon of gasoline adjusted for inflation (U.S. national average):

1950 $1.91

1955 $1.85

1960 $1.79

1965 $1.68

1970 $1.59

1975 $1.80

1980 $2.59

1985 $1.90

1990 $1.51

1995 $1.28

2001 $1.66

I have just concluded that high gas prices require me to spend several hundred dollars on a mountain bike, which I will then take caching sometimes. I like it when I can find an excuse for my spending sprees! :D

Good Idea! I guess it'll be cheaper to repair my flat now the prices are up. And it'll help get that spare tire off my middle.

The price of gasoline always amazed me when compared to oh, say milk. Oil must be prospected and once the field is found, test wells must be drilled. Then comes the production and refining facilities. (Process simplified) Milk comes from a cow and is heated and packaged. Billions of dollars are invested in oil prospecting and refinery construction. For about 50,000 bucks you can own a herd of cows. Yet milk and gas cost about the same per gallon. I know the reason is demand, but I still like the comparison. BTW, who do you think was the 1st cave dude to drink milk? Who said, "Hey, see that white stuff comes out of that cow's pink underside? Whad'ya give me if I drink it?"

My car doesn't run on Vicks. It runs on oil that comes out of the ground and takes very little cooking to use. It arrives in 5000 gallon shipments.

Gas is way too high at at 2.05 a gallon for cheap I'm not driving much right now.

i'm in england europe, you guys don't know your born! it's a about three pound a gallon over here mostly tax from our lovely parliament.

on another note, badandy, you don't mention paying for it... just wait til pump stops then go. that'll be why it doesn't bother you! good technique but long term it's likely to cost! not many caches in the local prison. terrible reception aswell with all those thick concrete walls and floors.

as has been said though it's still cheaper than milk. and another thing why does leather cost so much? lion skin yes, you could get killed. not many cases of cows attacking and killing hunters!

I think it is this simple. I made a conscious decision to by a car with a combustible engine. I could have purchased a Hybrid, but did not. I have no one to blame but myself for placing myself in this position. Why is it anyone else’s fault what I pay at the pump. The way I see it, driving a car is a privilege and a choice, the oil companies do not owe me any more of an explanation than any other manufacturer. Yes I kick myself every time I fill-up, but I placed myself in this situation. Next time I bet I buy the Hybrid :D

No, gas at $4.50 per US gallon is not affecting anyone's geocaching over here :(

In fact in Europe we haven't noticed the latest increase in the price of oil much, as it's been offset by the more or less equivalent fall in the dollar (plus, only about 25% of the pump price of gas depends on oil; the rest is taxes).

I reckon that US drivers with 18mpg SUVs still pay slightly less per mile for gas than I do in my MX-5 (Miata).

<sigh>..... if ONLY I got 18 mpg......

Swap from the Bronco at 14mpg to the Corolla at 30+ mpg and I'm ahead of the gas price curve.  I might have to walk a bit further...

Whoah, merging forum traffic?

The Corolla is just about the best dang car ever made. I have an '89 with 185K for my work commute (about 50 miles RT). I expect at least another 100K out of it. Got 35 mpg on a recent trip down to Portland plus three casual caches. The FWD got me around some stuck traffic at Snoqualmie Pass this last winter when a sudden snow squall iced the road up a bit. Clearance underneath is a bit lacking, though.

My Honda Shadow motorcycle gets 55 miles per gallon, so I'm not disuaded much. $2.25 a gallon here in my hometown in Washington.

Ox speculated:

The price of gasoline always amazed me when compared to oh, say milk. Oil must be prospected and once the field is found, test wells must be drilled. Then comes the production and refining facilities. (Process simplified) Milk comes from a cow and is heated and packaged. Billions of dollars are invested in oil prospecting and refinery construction. For about 50,000 bucks you can own a herd of cows. Yet milk and gas cost about the same per gallon.

Good example. Ox. However, a cow must be raised for 18 months before you see a drop of milk. That's a lot of hay, grain, medication and labor, and there's always a chance she could die. The environmental regulations involved in both activities are extensive, so that's a non-factor. Just as crude oil is selling, even now, for a mere $40 per barrel, the average dairy farmer is getting $15 per 100 pounds.

It's the processors and retailers who are most responsible for setting the price, I guess. The price of crude oil per gallon is 80 cents, and sells for $2.25 The price of raw milk is per gallon is 1.05 or so, and it sells for $4.19

I've never pumped a gallon of oil, but I've milked out a gallon of milk and know that I deserved the whole dollar for it. :( America may soon be forced to deal with its energy consumption and develop some decent alternatives to oil. My vote is for nuclear energy and hydrogen cells!

Well thank goodness the prices of the other things haven't gone up since the last time the price list was posted.

It absolutely cracks me up when people go to all the trouble to do a search and post something like this and there ends up being numerous posts after it, completely ignoring the reference to the other thread....LOL It's not that big a deal......really.

My hubby makes more of a stink about me going geocaching now that gas is so high. All it takes is a nice meal when he gets home and a foot massage before bed and he forgets all about those gas prices and how many miles I travel in a day...lol

I'm trying to figure out why the ethanol seems to be going up in price just as fast...

Because it costs more to make ethanol than you can sell it for, and it takes nearly 3 gallons of fossil fuels to raise and harvest enough corn to get 1 gallon of ethanol (and that's BEFORE the corn is even converted to ethanol, which is a very inefficient process as well). The only reason the ethanol and gas prices are comparable is because corn farming and ethanol production are funded by tax money to artifically lower the cost.

So, Ethanol prices rise because it takes a lot of fossil fuels to make ethanol.

Read this study if you want to hear more about how inefficient the process is.

I am actually thinking about buying a Mercedes Benz Diesel to use Waste Vegetable Oil as a fuel. It is free from restaurants, which = unlimited caching!!!

I know someone who drives that. I figured I won't buy a new (used) car just for that, but our next car is likely to run on biodiesel.

I'm trying to figure out why the ethanol seems to be going up in price just as fast...

Because it costs more to make ethanol than you can sell it for, and it takes nearly 3 gallons of fossil fuels to raise and harvest enough corn to get 1 gallon of ethanol (and that's BEFORE the corn is even converted to ethanol, which is a very inefficient process as well). The only reason the ethanol and gas prices are comparable is because corn farming and ethanol production are funded by tax money to artifically lower the cost.

So, Ethanol prices rise because it takes a lot of fossil fuels to make ethanol.

Read this study if you want to hear more about how inefficient the process is.

I'm not saying that ethanol is the end to all of our problems (or any of them for that matter), but that study has been pretty much discredited. I'm sort of more interested in bio-diesel, anyway. Seems like you get more bang for your buck than screwing with ethanol.

My ford ranger got t-boned by an f-250 this past winter so that's given me an opportunity to buy a more efficient car

ford ranger=15 mpg

subaru impreza=25 mpg

honda civic=35 mpg,

oh and someone needs to look up the price of a gallon of "Procrit 40" the anemia injection

Wait a Minute, that is "point"7 ounces (7/10ths of an ounce), so the cost would be $1.98 per ounce, and adjusting for 128 ounces per gallon, $254.18 per gallon ( add another 64 cents for the "half cent" in the original calculation per ounce(if you don't "round down", and it is higher).

:(:(

So I'm watching this guy on the news today, being interviewed about the gas prices, and he's like: "Well, my main car is a Hummer... it's $80 every time I wanna fill the tank! So, yeah, these prices sure are hurting us average guys..." :) Well, if irony could kill, I'd be dead on the floor!

So, what's the average, decidedly non-outdoorsy-looking fella doing, employing a 8-10 mpg mastodon of a military vehicle to visit the dentist and the dog groomer's? Everywhere I look, there's some guy staging an invasion of the Quickee-mart, with his Hummer and a helmet fashioned out of bad comb-over. Let me tell you, you set off for adventure at Bed, Bath and Beyond in that massive, clattering sledgehammer of an ego scaffolding, and accidentally damage your wallet filling the damned thing, don't go whining about OPEC...

Pretty soon, people are gonna be out there driving souped-up porta-potties, or some other crazy thing.

So I'm watching this guy on the news today, being interviewed about the gas prices, and he's like: "Well, my main car is a Hummer... it's $80 every time I wanna fill the tank! So, yeah, these prices sure are hurting us average guys..." :) Well, if irony could kill, I'd be dead on the floor!

I drive a Suburban. I'm a regular guy with a wife, 3 kids, and a dog who just can't all fit into a Honda. The wife drives the Honda to work and back, but it's way too small if we all want to go somewhere together like a family should.

That said, with gas getting up to $1.79 here in New Mexico, I can't take a trip up to Raton and prepare for my event cache until we're heading up for the event itself. Even if I take the Honda.

It's up to 2.30 in Oregon now.  Average price nation wise is in the 1.85 range.  Usually Oregon is right with the average, now we're second highest in the nation.  We're just getting screwed locally.

That's because you Oregonians have to pay someone to pump your gas for you!

Here in Fort Collins, Colorado, it's about $1.85 right now.

Gas prices are not a problem for me most of the time. That's because my job requires me to travel. I do a lot of caching in the rental car. You should try caching in a rental car with never-lost. It gets you right to your jump of point without any wrong turns, and not having to worry about the cost of getting there is priceless. B)

That comparison just cracks me up every time I see it. No, it's not "put in perspective", because I don't buy 20 gallons of Snapple or Gatorade or brake fluid or Scope every week...

What is the reason for the sudden jumping of the gas prices? We have been in Iraq for a year, nothing major has happened, no catastrophe or natural disaster, no oil wells on fire...yet STILL the gas prices go up.

Why hasn't a quart of oil gone up as well?

We are all getting ripped off, plain and simple. B)