Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
thesanctuary

Ham & Gps Antenna

I am going to be hooking up my ham and my gps in my truck here soon and i was wondering if there is an antenna that can be used for both devices. Does something like this exist?

No. And I wouldn't want one either.

Last thing I want to do is to couple 50+ watts of RF energy into the sensitive receiver of my new GPSR. The very fact that both devices would be on the same duplexer could be disasted for the receiver.

Also, multi-band antennas are a compromise at best. You would be giving both units a antenna that was not as good as it could be. And as every ham knows, antenna is everything!

YES - you CAN make a filter. Lets see, a good - REALLY GOOD - filter can cut a signal 50 dB. Would that be enough to save your receiver? Well, when you get it bulit and tested, we both will know. :D

But the simple answer is - NO. Nobody makes one that I know of.

I am going to be hooking up my ham and my gps in my truck here soon and i was wondering if there is an antenna that can be used for both devices. Does something like this exist?

They work of very different frequency bands. You'd have as much luck getting a GPS to work on a ham antenna as using your built-in AM/FM antenna. GPS runs in the microwave part of the spectrum.

Check out the model GPSDVHF antenna at Antenex It is a VHF/GPS antenna.

Two antennas on the same mount. The flat one for GPS and the vertical for VHF. Only reason I can think of for using one is if you're short on places to mount antennas or if you only want to install one and get it over with.

I would be interested in knowing if you got an answer to this question as well.

I too am a ham and will be doing the same thing with my Dune Buggy

I just went ahead and bought two different antennas. I decided that this would be the best route and i wouldn't have to worry about any interference.

I would be interested in knowing if you got an answer to this question as well.

You missed seeing this one that was mentioned previously?