Sadistic And Evil Hides

I just thought of logging all your caches DNF. How about?

Did you find them? :P

No, if I had found them I would have posted a Found It log. :)

Are you saying you didn't find them but also didn't post a "Did Not Find" log? :)

What are you hiding?

Are you ashamed of your failure so much that you can't even say you were unable to find a cleverly disguised cache?

Oh, the horror..."I'm not a perfect cacher...I found this cache on my second attempt."

Clever is ok in my book. Cruel? Well a clue like "Its hidden in the rocks." is cruel, I mean around here they are almost all hidden in the rocks, or "Its under the sage brush." Like the entire state is one big sage brush farm, WTH are they thinking? Then you find the $^#@^ thing under some Rabbit brush, at least get your brush right!

I mean if I need a clue make it something I can use or don't add one!!!! :)

And putting a cache on top of a mountain just because it's the top, what's up with that? If you've been to the mountain once that's enough. How about valleys? Why do we neglect them? Valleys are nice to, and often more scenic than some stinkin mountain top.

Nope give me a nice flat walk, and hide the thing under the only bush in sight. Oh yeah how about some parking coordinates while you're there. I don't want to have to drive all over creation looking for place to park.

Thanks RK this is a great topic, I'm glad I got that off my chest.

Clever is ok in my book. Cruel? Well a clue like "Its hidden in the rocks." is cruel, I mean around here they are almost all hidden in the rocks, or "Its under the sage brush." Like the entire state is one big sage brush farm, WTH are they thinking? Then you find the $^#@^ thing under some Rabbit brush, at least get your brush right!

I mean if I need a clue make it something I can use or don't add one!!!! :)

We get alot of that here.... Clue is: Look under palm frond. :P

Oh yeah how about some parking coordinates while you're there. I don't want to have to drive all over creation looking for place to park.

This is the best thing anyone can put on a cache page. Everything else is fair game as far as I'm concerned, but give me a decent place to park. I'll walk several miles to find a cache, just give me a place to park the dang car.

Did you find them? :P

No, if I had found them I would have posted a Found It log. :)

Are you saying you didn't find them but also didn't post a "Did Not Find" log? :)

What are you hiding?

Are you ashamed of your failure so much that you can't even say you were unable to find a cleverly disguised cache?

Oh, the horror..."I'm not a perfect cacher...I found this cache on my second attempt."

The problem is: I never tried to find them. To far away. I only log a DNF if i tried to find a cache without success.

Look at this one: Hidden more than 2 years ago and only one Fount It log.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc8586

The cruelest cache in my limited experience was a micro hidden in a rock field which is surrounded by dense weeds, bushes and trash. Also, it was next to a roadway where cars move by at a high rate of speed. The only clue was , "rock, rock, rock, now look down".

Edited by clearpath

Did you find them? :D

No, if I had found them I would have posted a Found It log. :D

Are you saying you didn't find them but also didn't post a "Did Not Find" log? :D

What are you hiding?

The problem is: I never tried to find them. To far away. I only log a DNF if i tried to find a cache without success.

You still didn't find them... :)

I will log a DNF if I searched. Going to the parking coords and seeing Muggles around (or not being able to find a parking spot) doesn't count. Once I start searching, I'll eith post a Find or a Did Not Find. Some of the best logs are from people who couldn't find a cache. It doesn't mean the cache is there or missing, it means the seeker didn't find it on that particular attempt.

Most of my hides are not actually sadistic, but I like to take advantage of terrain to make them more difficult. Most people are getting the idea that if they hunt one of my caches, the arrow on their GPS can be their worst enemy. People who follow the arrow without thinking will wind up in brush whacking, water trap, hell.

Some of my best caches have had less than a dozen finders. Here a couple:

Row vs. Wade

The Eye of the Tiger

Sn :D:D gans

...each of them a valid solution of a puzzle, but all but one of them dead-end false leads.

Clever is great, cruel is fine too, but ambiguous puzzle caches that have more than one possible solution - I honestly don't see the appeal.

You probably don't find multi's appealing either?

Just like with a multi, each step brings you closer to the solution. But unlike most multi's, you can also use the Force to get you straight to the true solution.

I actually enjoyed the challenge of placing it. The true and false clues are miles apart, each in a great location, each described by the same phrase: "in plain sight at the base of the mightiest spruce, on the side facing dead or cut tree". Imagine how much effort it took to put it together. And besides, finders of the false clues score a find of a derivative cache each time when they miss, so it is pretty generous for stats-sensitive folks too :D

...each of them a valid solution of a puzzle, but all but one of them dead-end false leads.

Clever is great, cruel is fine too, but ambiguous puzzle caches that have more than one possible solution - I honestly don't see the appeal.

You probably don't find multi's appealing either?

Just like with a multi, each step brings you closer to the solution. But unlike most multi's, you can also use the Force to get you straight to the true solution. ...

Sorry MOCKBA, I didn't mean to criticize your particular cache - it actually sounds pretty cool.

I've tried some puzzle caches that seem to be intended to be unsolvable until you email the cache hider and ask for help. Those are what I mean by 'ambiguous caches'.

edit - spelling

Edited by AC Student

We need a good puzzle cache, if only to get revenge on CarleenP and taunt Pixie Tracker. I was working on the details last night when my wife got home.

All she said when she saw what my plans were was, "You *******er" followed by "Can I help"?

Bwahahahahahahaha

(and trust me you don't want to know what *******er is. I've never heard that particular insult before out of her or anyone else. My ears are still burning.)

Just saw this post by Bons...

Taunt PixieTracker?? <_< Go ahead...

We try not create ones that are so tough that there are a lot of DNFs but we do want some in the field that make you use your noggin'. We love it when people log their "ah ha!!" moments and mention that the lightbulb came on. It is good for cache diversity since we like the easy ones but also want challenging ones too.

We just did a cache yesterday that was advertised as a grand place to take your dog on a walk. However, the last .15 miles was all of these prickly plant things. I wore shorts and I paid for it dearly. Several of these thorn-like things became embedded in my socks. I spent a good five minutes getting them out but they kept reappearing like magic. I was nearly driven out of my mind. But I can't imagine the unbearable pain that a dog would feel. They'd go crazy.

One of my caches was completed only once, and the finder called his experience 'hellatious'. It's got several nearly-identical containers in several very similar (and very picturesque) locations, each of them a valid solution of a puzzle, but all but one of them dead-end false leads. But with the bad rap it's got now, I wonder if it will attract many takers in the coming season <_<

Wow!! That's just crazy, but I love the idea. At least you have given much warning on the cache page. I was actually thinking of using a decoy cache near a real cache, but nothing as "hellatious" as yours. I think it's a great idea for the o/c cacher that is looking for something different.

Clever is ok in my book. Cruel? Well a clue like "Its hidden in the rocks." is cruel, I mean around here they are almost all hidden in the rocks, or "Its under the sage brush." Like the entire state is one big sage brush farm, WTH are they thinking? Then you find the $^#@^ thing under  some Rabbit brush, at least get your brush right!

I mean if I need a clue make it something I can use or don't add one!!!!  :D

We get alot of that here.... Clue is: Look under palm frond. <_<

We do too ... ones like "a fallen tree points the way". Do you know how many fallen trees there are in the woods, all of which point TWO ways!

We need a good puzzle cache, if only to get revenge on CarleenP and taunt Pixie Tracker. I was working on the details last night when my wife got home.

All she said when she saw what my plans were was, "You *******er" followed by "Can I help"?

Bwahahahahahahaha

(and trust me you don't want to know what *******er is. I've never heard that particular insult before out of her or anyone else. My ears are still burning.)

Taunt, taunt, taunt. A 13 year old found it (3rd to find)! Waiting to see yours, although I know that I won't be FTF. All that far away in Omaha and other stuff.

I do like hard finds as long as they are rated accurately. Nothing is more annoying though than a 1 difficulty that should be a 3-4 or 5! I do like to know what I am planning for!

Taunt, taunt, taunt. A 13 year old found it (3rd to find)! Waiting to see yours, although I know that I won't be FTF. All that far away in Omaha and other stuff.

For what it's worth, he turns 14 on Friday. Does that help any? :tongue:

A cacher in our area has a reputation for his cerebral puzzles. This one Spam Haiku took 10 days to find after numerous emails and discussions. I have yet to find any of his, though I have not given them too much attention as they are quirte difficult for my little brain to handle; I will give them more attention when I get bored of finding the traditional/multi caches.