Gpxsonar V1.2.1 For Ppc 2002 & 2003

I'm confused at to what tiki is trying to do. You can only have one instance of Pocket Internet Explorer running at a time. Since GPX Sonar is opening the cache in Pocket IE you can only view one at a time.

Tiki if I'm guessing wrong please expound on your problem.

you can use a product such as spb's pocket plus (available on Handango ) to provide multiple web pages, it also fixes a couple of other bugs with today....

Mike

Edited by TheCookieCrew

TheCookieCrew...

you can use a product such as spb's pocket plus (available on Handango ) to provide multiple web pages, it also fixes a couple of other bugs with today....

I'm sure that 'spb's pocket plus' is a great utility but it will not change the fact that GpxSonar always deletes the last generated cache page before creating a new one and launching PIE. So as long as the user does not attempt to refresh the page that was previously deleted, it's conceivable to view more than one cache page at a time.

Personally, I'd refrain from having multiple instances of PIE just because of the memory overhead and I'd go with the efficient single GPX file approach.

Camel680...

I have GPX Sonar for my PPC 2002 and after a day of caching I returned and tried to pull up notes for my caches I found but when I selected a GPX file I could see nothing in the GPX Sonar.

To make sure that you actually have field notes to report on do this: File \ Reports \ Gpx File Info. Check at the bottom of the list under 'Other' the count of notes.

I was thinking of just deleting it and then re-installing it but I don't want to lose the notes.

I doubt that re-installing the software will do a thing, especially if there's nothing else going wrong.

Are they saved into the GPX file or are they saved into the GPX Sonar? I have tried several different GPX files but noone of them will work.

The field notes are saved in a file named 'gpxsonar.dat'. The notes are associated to the caches in the main list according to their ID. So, if you load a gpx file which does not have any notes associated with the caches that it contains, they will not show on the main cache list, yet they will still be present in memory and will be available for reporting.

Make sure that the column showing the field notes is visible otherwise your field notes will not be recorded (that's a bug). Also, be careful when generating field notes report to not check the 'Delete Selection' if you want to preserve your notes after the report. This is a common user error that I'll try to prevent in the next build of the app.

Thanks for the help, And completely deleting it and re-installing it helped. I don't think it was a fault of your program I think something funky happenned on my PPC and it was corrupted somehow. But all was saved and thanks a bunch for your help!

tiki-4...

JeepCachr is correct. On top of that, GpxSonar is designed to generate one cache page at a time, overwriting any previously generated page. In other words, what you're trying to do cannot be done.

I'm able to do it using a utility called PIEPlus with is a browser addon which lets me have multiple instances of PIE running.

Say I want two cache descriptions displayed...

1) I first tell GpxSonar to let me see one of them. It of course renders it up in an instance of the browser.

2) In the instance of browser it gives me, I request a new browser window. (PIEPlus adds a "New Window" option to the browser.) The new browser just has a copy of the contents of the first browser. So I ended up with two instances of the browser, both showing the same cache description.

3) If I request GpxSonar to give me the description of a different cache, it will render the description in that second browser window that I had just created. It leaves the first browser window alone.

It basically just seems to use the last-created instance of the browser and the others are left untouched. I can easily have four or five browsers instances going, each showing a different cache.

Insp Gadget...

Are we any closer to seeing another release?

Yes. I've been working on new features and a bug fix so it's coming soon.

I find it confusing to click on the X instead of OK

I'm sure you've noticed this: most of the interface in GpxSonar has been cleaned up and simplified in 1.2.x. So in most places, there's only an 'X' to get out of a dialog (which I don't believe I can change btw so you may have to get used to it).

it took me ages to work that one out last night before i twigged that you don't hit return

What's up with that 'Return' thing? Are you talking about the Software Input Panel or are you using a device with a real keyboard?

What's up with that 'Return' thing? Are you talking about the Software Input Panel or are you using a device with a real keyboard?

Well speakinjg from my own experience, I was pressing the Return key on my Thumboard and also trying the Return Key on the Soft keyboard. Since I saw no "OK" or "Search" it seemed natural to press Return instead, which for some reason came back that my search string was not found. I was totally confused by this until I posted a message here.

Insp Gadget...

speakinjg from my own experience, I was pressing the Return key on my Thumboard and also trying the Return Key on the Soft keyboard. Since I saw no "OK" or "Search" it seemed natural to press Return instead

Hummm... Interesting. I don't have such a Thumboard (btw, which one are you using?) so I've never tested GpxSonar with this config. There's a solution to this problem but it will take some time to implement across all the dialogs in the app.

-Fabien.

Insp Gadget...

speakinjg from my own experience, I was pressing the Return key on my Thumboard and also trying the Return Key on the Soft keyboard. Since I saw no "OK" or "Search" it seemed natural to press Return instead

Hummm... Interesting. I don't have such a Thumboard (btw, which one are you using?) so I've never tested GpxSonar with this config. There's a solution to this problem but it will take some time to implement across all the dialogs in the app.

-Fabien.

I have a Jornada PPC with the HP Thumboard. I don't think it matters if there is a TB since Sonar does the same thing weather I press return on the TB or the Soft keyboard.

Insp Gadget...

I don't think it matters if there is a TB since Sonar does the same thing weather I press return on the TB or the Soft keyboard.

That's the part that I don't get: if I use the return key on the soft keyboard in the context of the field notes dialog, the cursor just goes to the next line. It doesn't close the dialog. What am I missing here?

Insp Gadget...

I don't think it matters if there is a TB since Sonar does the same thing weather I press return on the TB or the Soft keyboard.

That's the part that I don't get: if I use the return key on the soft keyboard in the context of the field notes dialog, the cursor just goes to the next line. It doesn't close the dialog. What am I missing here?

Dunno. On mine it closes the input box and displays the Not Found message.

Insp Gadget...

Another minor problem I noticed. There are some weird characters shwoing up in my field notes reports. One looks like an A with a small circle. Any idea what this is about?

Please be more specific. Are you talking about field notes in reports, exported to GSAK or the field notes dialog?

For the sake of efficiency, it would be very helpful if you could include context and step by steps instructions on how to reproduce the problems that you report.

Thank you.

Any chance you might consider adding the ability to export to Maptech's .mxf format in the future?

I use their Pocket Navigator program and currently use GPSBabel to convert .gpx to .mxf on the desktop....then move the .mxf over to the PPC. If this could all be done on the PPC, that would be GREAT!

BottomFeeder...

Any chance you might consider adding the ability to export to Maptech's .mxf format in the future?

Sure. Sounds like a good thing to add to the app. I'll look into it.

While your at it how about the ability to create a maplet file for mapopolis?

JeepCachr...

While your at it how about the ability to create a maplet file for mapopolis?

Gladly... If only Mapopolis would share the format of their files or would provide an API to do it.

Do you care enough that you would email Mapopolis about it?

BottomFeeder...

Sure. Sounds like a good thing to add to the app. I'll look into it.

If you need an example .mxf file, let me know. I could send you one of the ones created via GPSBabel.

THANKS!

Anyone know why when I do a Waypoint Projection on it, say distance 100 meters and 98 degrees, it returns, N 0 0.05603 E 0 0.50278 instead of the degree minutes coordinates of the next waypoint? This is from N 45° 25.014 W 075° 33.952

I know that I can do the projection in my GPS, but it might help a friend of mine who is looking into purchasing a pocket pc and using software to do the projection since their GPS doesn't do projection.

Is there a setting that I have to do?

Zeph