Gpxsonar V1.2.1 For Ppc 2002 & 2003

Here's what's new in this release:

Bug Fix: My Caches : Importing caches from the main list could cause memory corruptions if the cache had logs or TBs. This issue is resolved.

Bug Fix: the ‘Today’ screen is now accessible.

Bug Fix: removed cache types and cache containers from the filters that weren't valid GC.com types.

Bug Fix: the ‘Hide Found Caches’ bit was always checked even if the 'Cache Attributes' filter was disabled in the Active Filters dialog. This would cause caches to disappear from the main list when logging a find in the field notes. Also, the ‘Hide Found Caches’ bit is no longer on by default.

New Feature: Waypoint projection : distances and degrees can be decimal.

New Feature: cache page details are accessible with a single click on the main cache list.

New Feature: a ‘Dismiss Menu’ item has been added to the cache options menu accessible via a ‘tap & hold’ gesture.

New Feature: a ‘Ignore All Caches By This Owner’ item has been added to the cache options menu.

New Feature: a ‘Un-Ignore All’ button has been added to the dialog controlling ‘ignored’ caches under the ‘Cache Attributes’ filter.

New Feature: the cache list represents disabled caches and archived caches with a yellow or a red triangular icon respectively.

New Feature: the cache page details now shows in red if the cache is available or not.

New Feature: the GPX file report shows the count of archived / disabled caches.

New Feature: the ‘Cache Attributes’ offers the ability to hide archived/disabled caches.

New Feature: added icon for ‘archived’ vs 'needs archiving' in cache logs.

New Feature: added a menu system to the interface.

New Feature: added an ‘Exit’ item to the File menu.

New Feature: added a ‘minimum column width’ enforcement point (to prevent columns from being collapsed down to nothing)

New Feature: added a ‘Filter’ button which becomes enabled when there’s at least one active filters. The button also provides a quick access to the filters.

New Feature: The on-screen keyboard pops up automatically when appropriate.

New Feature: Field notes are saved automatically when they’re closed. The ‘Save’ button has been removed.

New Feature: A ‘Timestamp’ button has been added to the field note dialog allowing to track revisions to a note.

New Feature: sorting is case-insensitive on the waypoint, cache name and owner columns.

New Feature: the application automatically reloads the last GPX file that was opened.

New Feature: a ‘Text Search’ button has been added to quickly access the search function.

New Feature: added a ‘Cache Ratings’ filter.

New Feature: added a ‘Cache With TB’ filter.

New Feature: added the ability to export the field notes to GSAK.

New Feature: added the ability to export cache waypoints as MS Pocket Street&Trips Push Pins.

New Feature: added the ability to export cache waypoints as Pharos OSTIA 6 waypoints.

New Feature: the location of the waypoint files and notes exported by GPXSonar is now user-definable. By default, all files are now exported to the \My Documents folder.

New Feature: the main cache list displays characters like ÖÄÅöäåûüÜ correctly.

New Feature: the field notes report now includes the date & the time when the note was created.

You can download v1.2.1 in CAB and EXE format from the following links:

PPC 2003 CAB and PPC 2003 EXE

PPC 2002 CAB and PPC 2002 EXE

Please post your feedback to this thread.

Regards,

-Fabien.

Wow, awesome upgrade. Runs fine under PPC2002 for me. Thanks a LOT!!!!

More Requests!!!

How about variable font sizes on the main screen. I'd like it a little smaller than what you have. (btw, when PPC2003 SE comes out, will you be able to add support for VGA, or its variable font size?)

How about a 'Smart Minmize button instead of an "OK" button on the main screen. I'm used to the X, and sometimes I hit the OK, when I really just want to minimize. You already have EXIT inthe menu.

Better cache type Icons. I still like the ones in GPXView better.

thanks!!!

dino_hunters

I love this program! Is there any chance that it can or will link with Mapopolis so that I could click on it and have it bring up the map. Or on the map click on a waypoint and have it bring it up in gpxSonar.

This question I asked a few months back. The answer is that when ever the Mapopolis people want to release their code so Geo can work with it to bring up the map from GPXSonar then it will happen. And that won't happen so we are stuck.

dino_hunters...

How about variable font sizes on the main screen.

I'll see what I can do.

How about a 'Smart Minmize button instead of an "OK" button on the main screen.

I'll also see what I can do but I don't promise anything there if it turns out to be a pain to make it work in the way that you described.

Better cache type Icons. I still like the ones in GPXView better.

Do you feel artistically inclined? If so, give me a set of icons that you think would look better and if I like them, I'll use them. How's that?

JeepCachr...

Is there any chance that it can or will link with Mapopolis

Unfortunately, I cannot write out waypoints for Mapopolis because I don't know what the format is. I'll try to write to them to see if they could share a library that would do it w/o given their trade secrets away. Regarding launching Mapopolis with the proper map from GpxSonar, that's easy to do but it has little value if I can't write out a custom maplet file first.

-Fabien.

I love this program! Is there any chance that it can or will link with Mapopolis so that I could click on it and have it bring up the map. Or on the map click on a waypoint and have it bring it up in gpxSonar.

I use Pocket Streets. Is there a way to bring up a Map in Pocket Streets?

Curently in Pocket Streets I have the URL from the website, anyway I can link it into GPXSonar with the Waypoint ID to pull up the info?

Great App!

Thanks!

Scott<-

I love the addition of the search button at the bottom. One problem though. It doesn't seem to work. I have tried doing many searches and it always says that no caches match the search. I tried entering cache names, Waypoints and even Username. Naturally all these items are in the file I am trying to search. Must be some small thing I'm doing, but what????

Insp Gadget...

it always says that no caches match the search

Believe me, the search feature works fine.

It sounds like you need to use the 'Partial' search instead of the 'Exact' text search.

I tried both my friend. Several different GPX files and different varations of the search function. Nothing came up. I am using PPC 2002. Can you tell me exactly how to use this feature?

Insp Gadget...

Can you tell me exactly how to use this feature?

Simple:

1. Enter a word to search on. Try with 'cache' (w/o the quotes)

2. Select 'Partial' match.

3. Make sure that 'Enable Search' is checked.

3. 'X' out of the dialog.

That's it. The search is done on the waypoint, the name and the owner field. If any of them contain the word you're looking for, the corresponding row appears in the cache list.

Insp Gadget...

Can you tell me exactly how to use this feature?

Simple:

1. Enter a word to search on. Try with 'cache' (w/o the quotes)

2. Select 'Partial' match.

3. Make sure that 'Enable Search' is checked.

3. 'X' out of the dialog.

That's it. The search is done on the waypoint, the name and the owner field. If any of them contain the word you're looking for, the corresponding row appears in the cache list.

Got it. I was pressing enter on my keyboard instead of the X in the top right corner. I always associate the X with closing the program.

Thanks!

Insp Gadget...

I went caching tonight. I found 6 and each time entered a field note, however when I run a report for field notes, it's always blank. Why? What am I doing wrong this time??????

Are you clicking 'X' to get out of the field note dialog? If you're not, that's your problem right there.

Insp Gadget...

I went caching tonight. I found 6 and each time entered a field note, however when I run a report for field notes, it's always blank. Why? What am I doing wrong this time??????

Are you clicking 'X' to get out of the field note dialog? If you're not, that's your problem right there.

I select a log type, usually Found, enter a timestamp, some notes and press the X, since there seems to be no othr way to get out of the diag box. I them run a report on field notes and it is ALWAYS blank.

Insp Gadget...

I them run a report on field notes and it is ALWAYS blank.

Ok... Here's how to troubleshoot this:

1. Go File \ Reports \ GPX File Info.

What's the count of field notes? If it is 0 then its explains why your report is blank.

If your field notes count is greater than zero do this:

1. Go File \ Reports \ Field Notes

2. In the 'Field Notes Report Filter' dialog, check 'Found', 'Not Found', 'Notes', 'Archive'. Don't check 'Delete Selection' yet. Only select it once you're ready to get rid of the notes once you're done with them.

3. Click 'Ok' in the dialog.

Your report will contain all the cache logs that you have.

Please read the User's Guide for the app. You'll find answers to your questions there.

Let me know how that goes.

Insp Gadget...

I them run a report on field notes and it is ALWAYS blank.

Ok... Here's how to troubleshoot this:

1. Go File \ Reports \ GPX File Info.

What's the count of field notes? If it is 0 then its explains why your report is blank.

If your field notes count is greater than zero do this:

1. Go File \ Reports \ Field Notes

2. In the 'Field Notes Report Filter' dialog, check 'Found', 'Not Found', 'Notes', 'Archive'. Don't check 'Delete Selection' yet. Only select it once you're ready to get rid of the notes once you're done with them.

3. Click 'Ok' in the dialog.

Your report will contain all the cache logs that you have.

Please read the User's Guide for the app. You'll find answers to your questions there.

Let me know how that goes.

I finally got it to work, just by luck though. I may have found a small bug.

In my PPC, the field notes do not seem to save unless the Notes field is selected in the list options. If I select List > Preferences > Notes and enter a Field Note for a cache, a small green box shows up next to the cache name. If I run a field report, my field note shows up.

If this box is not selected, the field note does not show up. It's almost as if it does not save the field note. I ran a report on the GPX file and the only time something shows up under "other" is when the Note option is selected.

Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Insp Gadget...

If this box is not selected, the field note does not show up. <...> Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Hummm... Interesting. No, it's not supposed to work that way.

This is actually the 2nd time someone reports such a behavior when that column not selected in the preferences. It does sound like a bug. I'll get to the bottom of this and will let you know.

2LuknF8...

Is there a way to sort the field notes by timestamp?

Nope. I looked at implementing this particular feature then considered the amount of code and changes required vs the benefits and I could not justify doing it. If a lot of people start asking for it, then I'll do it.

Personally, I have never had a situation where the order of the logs entered on the site mattered.

dino_hunters...

I'll get you some icons to use, if you'll tell me what size they need to be.

Sorry for the delay answering your offer.

The icons need to be 12x12. If you want a bitmap with the ones I'm currently using, let me know.

Thank you for your help. It's much appreciated.

Regards,

-Fabien.

Rosco...

Is there any chance in the future that "my caches" could be more than one data base for entries for other than just my caches? For instance, I'd like to put in all of the ones we as a team have placed seperate from my own....

From your description, what I understand is that you'd like to be able to categorize the caches that you place under 'My Caches'. Am I understanding this correctly?

I like the idea and I'll see how I can make it happen.

JeepCachr...

128mb ram, 48mb of rom, 512mb sd card, 2 1gb CF microdrives in PCMCIA adapters in a 2 slot expansion sleeve. 

Storage-wise, you rock! :D

The real answer to your question is that you need to take a look at the Main Memory Settings in the control panel. Whatever amount of memory remains 'Free' for 'Programs' (as opposed to storage) gives you the theoretical amount of memory that you can use for GpxSonar and a GPX file. With your 128mb of RAM, you could load a lifetime supply of caches in GpxSonar :D

Rosco...

Is there any chance in the future that "my caches" could be more than one data base for entries for other than just my caches? For instance, I'd like to put in all of the ones we as a team have placed seperate from my own....

From your description, what I understand is that you'd like to be able to categorize the caches that you place under 'My Caches'. Am I understanding this correctly?

I like the idea and I'll see how I can make it happen.

Exactly GEO!!! A way to put a seperate catagory for different types of hides (personal, team, what ever) or being able to put a divider in the window of sorts (mind, hers, ours what ever).

Thanks again. :D

scooter!...

I use Pocket Streets. Is there a way to bring up a Map in Pocket Streets?

Top of the thread:

New Feature: added the ability to export cache waypoints as MS Pocket Street&Trips Push Pins.

In other words, yes. That works.

Maybe I said it wrong. I have the PushPins in Pocket Streets (via Map Point and GSAK).

I'd like to be able to go from either PocketStreets or GPXSonar to the other and have them linked.

So if I'm in Pocket Streets. I want to tap a pushpin and have it open up the Waypoint in GPXSonar. Or if in GPXSonar, select a menu and have it open Pocket Streets and take me to the Puishpin for that waypoint.

thanks,

Scott<-

scooter!...

I'd like to be able to go from either PocketStreets or GPXSonar to the other and have them linked.

So if I'm in Pocket Streets. I want to tap a pushpin and have it open up the Waypoint in GPXSonar. Or if in GPXSonar, select a menu and have it open Pocket Streets and take me to the Puishpin for that waypoint.

Hummm... What you're asking for is not possible at least from Pocket Streets. From GpxSonar maybe, but don't count on it.

Regards,

-Fabien.

from what i've seen i reallly like the new version - the double clicking, auto loading last one, easier menus, intelligent use of keyboard, auto save (i lost a LONG log once as the keyboard appeared over the save so i didn't hit it).

Thanks fabien for an excellent upgrade.

I'd like to be able to go from either PocketStreets or GPXSonar  to the other and have them linked.

You've just expressed the wish of every person that uses a pocket pc with a GPS for caching. Though in my opinion Mapopolis is far superior to pocket streets. If you haven't tried it you should.

GEO,

The new version is great. I tried to learn how to see several cache pages on the main cache list. The most i get is one. I even went page by page in the manual, but couldnt find the answer. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. <_<

GEO,

The new version is great. I tried to learn how to see several cache pages on the main cache list. The most i get is one. I even went page by page in the manual, but couldnt find the answer. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. <_<

tiki-4,

Are you trying to view the cache pages more than one at a time? You would have to be able to load more than one instance of Explorer or what ever you are using to view them with then go from one back to another and back and forth. At least that's what I'm figuring.

I'd like to be able to go from either PocketStreets or GPXSonar  to the other and have them linked.

You've just expressed the wish of every person that uses a pocket pc with a GPS for caching. Though in my opinion Mapopolis is far superior to pocket streets. If you haven't tried it you should.

Not having ever used Pocket Streets I don't know anything about it but I will tell you that having used Mapopolis to it's maximum I would never be without it. With the conversion program you can load your caches on the Mapo maps, have GPXSonar running in the background and switch back and forth (I use WisBar for that). Read all about the cache, switch to the maps and there it is. It's very easy to load what ever cache you want in Mapopolis. And with the routing (voice is very cool) and backtracking plus all the other features it's just one great program <_<

GEO,

The new version is great.  I tried to learn how to see several cache pages on the main cache list.  The most i get is one.  I even went page by page in the manual, but couldnt find the answer.  Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. <_<

tiki-4,

Are you trying to view the cache pages more than one at a time? You would have to be able to load more than one instance of Explorer or what ever you are using to view them with then go from one back to another and back and forth. At least that's what I'm figuring.

I'm confused at to what tiki is trying to do. You can only have one instance of Pocket Internet Explorer running at a time. Since GPX Sonar is opening the cache in Pocket IE you can only view one at a time.

Tiki if I'm guessing wrong please expound on your problem.

Scienceteacher&Fam...

could someone please steer me in the direction that I need to go so that I can pay that genius who created the program?

:mad: Genius, huh? Thanks for the compliment :mad:

I'm glad that you like the app and that it has become part of your geocaching lifestyle. If you would like to donate something for it, you can use Paypal and the following address: fabien_royer at hotmail dot com.

Regards,

-Fabien.

Hello,

I have GPX Sonar for my PPC 2002 and after a day of caching I returned and tried to pull up notes for my caches I found but when I selected a GPX file I could see nothing in the GPX Sonar. I was thinking of just deleting it and then re-installing it but I don't want to lose the notes. Are they saved into the GPX file or are they saved into the GPX Sonar? I have tried several different GPX files but noone of them will work.

I am trying to see more than one listing on the main cache list. When i first open the program, i see all the gpx files in a folder. I select one and it pops up in the collumn format identified on the help page as"Main Cache List". I do not see all the other listings. if i select the one, than i see the html page from geocaching.com. I tried highlighting on the first screen, but i do not know how to import them into GPXSonar. I originally downloaded each cache as a gpx file. Put them into a seperate folder on my HP & hot synched. My intent is to view all the lsitings as if in a spreadsheet, not each cache page at once. Where have i goofed?

I am trying to see more than one listing on the main cache list. When i first open the program, i see all the gpx files in a folder. I select one and it pops up in the collumn format identified on the help page as"Main Cache List". I do not see all the other listings. if i select the one, than i see the html page from geocaching.com. I tried highlighting on the first screen, but i do not know how to import them into GPXSonar. I originally downloaded each cache as a gpx file. Put them into a seperate folder on my HP & hot synched. My intent is to view all the lsitings as if in a spreadsheet, not each cache page at once. Where have i goofed?

You need to use a program like GSAK to open those GPX files and save them as one GPX file.

Camel680...

I have GPX Sonar for my PPC 2002 and after a day of caching I returned and tried to pull up notes for my caches I found but when I selected a GPX file I could see nothing in the GPX Sonar.

To make sure that you actually have field notes to report on do this: File \ Reports \ Gpx File Info. Check at the bottom of the list under 'Other' the count of notes.

I was thinking of just deleting it and then re-installing it but I don't want to lose the notes.

I doubt that re-installing the software will do a thing, especially if there's nothing else going wrong.

Are they saved into the GPX file or are they saved into the GPX Sonar? I have tried several different GPX files but noone of them will work.

The field notes are saved in a file named 'gpxsonar.dat'. The notes are associated to the caches in the main list according to their ID. So, if you load a gpx file which does not have any notes associated with the caches that it contains, they will not show on the main cache list, yet they will still be present in memory and will be available for reporting.

Make sure that the column showing the field notes is visible otherwise your field notes will not be recorded (that's a bug). Also, be careful when generating field notes report to not check the 'Delete Selection' if you want to preserve your notes after the report. This is a common user error that I'll try to prevent in the next build of the app.

You're download the GPX files from individual cache pages? Oy.... that's going to take some time to put them all together to see them in GPXSonar. If you're a premium member you can get a pocket query for up to 500 caches and open that ONE file in GPXSonar. THen you just pick the cache you want to read about from a list. :mad: