New Gpsr

bestdad

The MeriPlat has a built-in 3-axis floating compass. You don't need to move to find out which way is North. The beauty of this little baby is while you have a cache set as a GOTO waypoint, the compass will also point the bearing in relationship to the direction you are facing.

However, having a magnetic compass to act as backup in case of battery or unit failure is always advisable.

==edited to let spellcheck do its thing==and to add==

You seem to have all you need to get started. Go after the easy 1/1's first. Get used to thinking in terms of getting close to the cache with the GPS but then start looking ahead to see where you would hide it. The Magellan systems also have a certain lag time to it due to the averaging it does while in motion. Set it down someplace safe and easy to reference while you forage around for the first 2-5 minutes then reference it to see if the cache may have wandered away a bit.

Edited by TotemLake
I am not 100% sure about the meridi plat am I getting in too deep

would it be safer to buy a lower end unit say garmin etrex or just plunge ahead.

Tom

I always say buy the most you can afford. It's the PC Credo. You won't regret the MeriPlat. I've been using mine for 16 months now. It's taken a beating in and out of the water and off the top of my jeep. You're going to be foraging around for the cache no matter which GPS you get. Don't expect to land right on top of it everytime with the given coordinates. There are so many variables that go into hiding and finding. I'm finding my ground zero finds are about 40% right now and going down the more I hunt. I say plunge ahead and grow into the GPS. I use it for hiking and camping and finding my way around the city.

I have the Meridian Gold and am very happy with it and its features. You might want to look for some other posts about the Plat. I remember some people saying that while the Plat is a good unit, they really didnt think it was worth the extra money. I agree with the previous posts about buying the most gps you can afford and grow into it.

I agree with the two previous posts. Get the Plat and grow into it. It's a great unit and I wouldn't trade it for anything. For me the extra cost was well worth it. I use my compass every time I go caching. Also you can get a heading while standing still and even set the map orientation to magnitic. :D

Edited by Warriorrider

Definitely get a MeriGold or MeriPlat. I have Gold, and would also not trade it for anything else at the moment.

You might want to look for some other posts about the Plat. I remember some people saying that while the Plat is a good unit, they really didnt think it was worth the extra money.

I too somewhat agree with this. Many people use the electronic compass a lot, but others never use it at all, and don't really want to. If money isnt a problem though, just get the Plat.

My suggestion is to start using just a few screens (the map and the compass) and not get overwhelmed by all the other options. Build out from that as you get comfortable with your understanding of how to use it. Don't try to do everything at once.

If you haven't, check out the Meridian FAQ. It's a better starter document than the manual.