Interpretation Of Rules

okay folks, I understand the 500 ft/.10 mi rule on placing caches in proximity to other caches. I am cool with that. No problem. provided they are physical caches or physical stages in a multi.

I have recently attempted to get approval for a micro that was .13 miles from the final stage of a multi with a virtual first stage just 200 feet away from the final micro of the multi. That would have placed my physical multi somewhere near 450 to 475 feet from the virtual first stage. My question is this... shouldn't the approvers give a little bit of leeway (50 to 100 feet or so) when placing a physical cache in the area of a virtual or the virtual stage(s) of a multi?

Opinions. please.

Should they be able to? Yes. And as far as I know, they can.

Does that mean they always should? No. It doesn't.

Since the two starting locations are within .1 mile of each other I'm forced to ask myself if the your micro could be moved the same 50-100 feet you want the approver to allow and still have the same cache.

Since I don't have 1/100th of the information you or the approver has then I'm not really in a position to decide. On the other hand, I believe that the approver has the responsibilty to decide and the experience to back that decision up.

well no such love for me on that aspect, cause only thing in the way is a minor roadway and a small ( 1/2 acre) retention pond

I would think the approver would give you a little leeway considering that and am very surprised that he didn't. You can appeal, but you're appealing to the approver who denied it in the first place. Still, 528 feet isn't very far, so is there a possibility of tweaking your cache so you move one stage and get it approved?

It isn't reasonable for us as members to know anything but the starting location of a multi cache. To deny a cache due to a conflict we can't know falls short of any standard of fair. Toss in a virtual leg on a multi vs. a traditional cache and that a conflict could occure even at 0 ft is ludicrous.

Don't take this wrong, but if you actually DO the caches in your area, for the most part you'll know. Granted there are some multi's that can toss you, like a recently approved one near me that stretches over like 70 miles, but that's the exception, I think.

Not to take this off topic.

If there are already two parts a cache in the area.......Does the area really need another cache?

Yes. Always. :)

As long as it is reasonably far enough to be a new 'adventure', heck yeah!

Upin: I think briansnat meant YOU tweaking your cache to fit the guidelines, not the otherway around.

Back on topic: Can you adjust your hiding place? Is it something special, or just a typical hiding place that can also be found that 50-100' off?

One major lesson learned through the forums: be nice to your approver. If you are respectful, you will get a lot farther than being a jerk (not saying you ARE, just a heads up). If I were an unpaid volunteer working half of my day to make other people happy - I think I'd queue the nice people up first... One more reason I'm NOT an approver!! :P

...Don't take this wrong, but if you actually DO the caches in your area, for the most part you'll know. Granted there are some multi's that can toss you, like a recently approved one near me that stretches over like 70 miles, but that's the exception, I think.

That's true.

Consider though, the 400+ Caches in my vicintiy. Each week brings 10+ new ones. Plus I've got 200 to go to catch up. Factor in newbies who are subject to the same rules but have to tackle all 400.

I can't keep up, they certainly can't keep up. Is it a reasonable assumption that we can do all the caches in our area to truly know?

There is one other thing. That is just for my vicinity. My cache area covers about 4 times as much range.

It isn't reasonable for us as members to know anything but the starting location of a multi cache.  To deny a cache due to a conflict we can't know falls short of any standard of fair. 

Agreed, but unless I misunderstanding something, his cache is within .1 mile of the starting location. Or am I missing something?

That would have placed my physical multi  somewhere near 450 to 475 feet from the virtual first stage.
It isn't reasonable for us as members to know anything but the starting location of a multi cache.  To deny a cache due to a conflict we can't know falls short of any standard of fair. 

Agreed, but unless I misunderstanding something, his cache is within .1 mile of the starting location. Or am I missing something?

That would have placed my physical multi  somewhere near 450 to 475 feet from the virtual first stage.

I'm the one guilty of missing it.

1. The proximity guideline applies to virtual caches and to virtual stages of multicaches, just as it applies to physical caches. This is one of the reasons why the virtual cache placement guidelines are quite a bit tougher than they used to be: one must demonstrate the inability to place a physical cache nearby, because the listing of a virtual cache blocks the placement of a physical cache in the same area.

2. The 528 foot proximity guideline is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Whether an exception is granted is left for the reviewer and the hider to work out. I regularly grant exceptions when good cause is demonstrated... especially in the 450 foot to 528 foot range. But sometimes I stick with the 528 foot guideline based on considerations such as cache density. If there are no other caches within 10 miles, I'll likely deny a physical cache that's 500 feet from an existing virtual cache, on the grounds that there HAS to be another spot somewhere. Conversely, in a high-density area like a popular county park with 10 existing caches, I am more likely to insist on strict compliance in an effort to control density and avoid confusion.

Without more specifics I cannot comment further on the specifics of this cache placement.