What's The Creepiest Cache/cache Area?

Well, there are quite a few creepy caches in my town... the creepiest, night or day , is "Cujo"(GCHR3T) by RWillieK... located in a pet cemetary way out in the boonies. Second creepiest would be "Graven Images"( GCH104) by ElmoGPS.. old civil war era graveyward completely hidden by trees and shrubs... just yards from a major roadway. best cached at night for best creepies

Creepiest cache I ever did would have been just another hike in the woods on most days.

I was on business out of state to Montana. Got bored in the hotel one afternoon and decided to hit a few local caches. I ended up at a trailhead about an hour before sunset.

A freak Darwin gene that is normally dormant took complete control and I decided to go for it.

After about 1.5 miles zigzagging nearly straight uphill I hit ground zero. It was a rubble field perhaps 3 acres in size about 500 feet above the trail. I scrambled up and started turning over rocks. I couldn't find the cache amid the rocks and I had just lost the last of the sun. I struggled with the Darwin gene for control, then I whipped out my trusty mini maglight and kept looking.

30 minutes later the batts on my gps died. Another hour and I gave up. When I was nearly back to the trail I spied an ammocan, in plain view, leaning against the trunk of a tree. I logged in and made a trade by starlight, as my minimag lived up to it's mininess and croaked.

At that very moment the Darwin gene fled my brain. I realized I was unarmed, in the dark, 800 miles from home and I was no longer at the top of the food chain. Grizzly bears, Mtn lions and wolves all live here. This is when it got creepy.

The night was very dark with no moon as I hiked down the trail. It's amazing what a little darkness and adreneline can do to your imagination. I would cycle the power on my maglight to get a dim flash to identify the noises behind me. I could hear critters just out of view, mocking me. I tried whistling and even singing before I finally made it to the car.

Mind you, I'm no stranger to either the night or the Rockies, but that night, under those conditions, I felt like I was about to become an American Werewolf in Montana.

The creepiest cache I ever hid was the Clinton Road Drive and Dump, which is on (what else?) Clinton Road. This area is so infamous that a book was published about it. If that first link wasn't creepy enough, try this link for a little more about Clinton Road.

Now I hike there frequently and nothing strange has happened to me, at least the none of the strange things that others have reported. No hellhounds, no witches, no devil worshippers, no ghosts, but the last time I checked up on my cache, my car started making odd noises. I got out to look and my tire was flat. Was there a nail in it? Nope. There was a slash in the sidewall that looked someone sliced it with a kinfe while I was driving. Hmmmm....

The creepiest cach I ever found is the (now archived) Beavertown cache. It wasn't so much the cache itself, but the people who live around it. Check the logs and you'll see some of the strange encounters some finders had.

Edited by briansnat

I logged a DNF on Inner City Suprise because I was too freaked out to go find the cache. Check this out:

This cache is placed on the private property of a personal friend of mine with his knowledge and permission. It is in the inner city, so take care when visiting the cache! A flashlight might be a good idea even during the day! This cache is located on a property that has the 3rd oldest house still on it's original site in the state. There are older buildings in this state located on the Old World Wisconsin grounds, but they have been moved there. Behind this house is a bridge tenders house that was moved from it's original site on the Wells Street bridge downtown Milwaukee. It was used as an artist's studio by J.P. Raniere, one of the owners of this property, who died last year. His friend, Jeff Hicks, still lives on this site.

Behind the bridge tenders house is a small chapel, built in the early 1980's, in a style that is reminiscent of the 1400's in Europe. Inside this chapel, underneath the floor, J.P. is burried. He was a Fransiscan Frair, and Jeff was able to get special permission from the city to bury him there. Behind the chapel used to be a large barn that housed a blacksmith's shop that had to be torn down in the 1980's also.

Scattered throughout the property are archetectual pieces saved from various razed buildings including the old Iron Block building on Water and Wisconsin, which itself was renovated in the early 1980's. A large vine growing behind the bridge tenders house yeilds grapes that Jeff makes his own wine with. There are dozens of different species of trees growing on this property also. All in all, this is a place you will not soon forget, once you have visited it.

The cache is a small tin box with old stamped postcards, a log book, and a pen in it, so bring only different postcards to place in it, or something of that size and nature.

My friend and I were out finding Deep in Hartley, and it was fine on the way in, but as we headed out, the sun dipped low and the forest started turning "creepy". :) The happy trees closed in above us, a HUGE gathering of crows started cawing at us - it was odd, but we were trying to tell ourselves that nothing was wrong.

Then on the trail ahead of us, there was a tree with a branch about 6 feet off the ground, with a deer leg (no deer, just leg) hooked over the branch!

We couldn't figure out how it got there, so we just got the hell out! :P

My log

HermioneGranger's log

Edited by SnowLeopard
Be sure to read the logs & look at the pictures!!!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...db-b379c29c4970

Ah, there it is. I saved the pictures from that one when it came up in the forums a while back. I showed my wife the pics and it gave her nightmares (she hates the whole glowing-eyes, mothman thing). Play with the contrast a little, and the humanoid shape really comes into view.