Spooky Animal Skulls

Lt.Dan

This wasnt a geocaching trip, but on another occasion, i was playing paintball in the woods with my friends. I crawled underneath a hemlock tree, and glanced overhead, and to my frightful horror, there was a giant skull hanging in the tree. I then looked around and there were 2 or 3 more, hanging in similar trees, arounf a 30 to 40 foot area.

They looked to be a pig or bear skull, or maybe a very large dog. It was a massive head, about large watermelon sized with very large powerful jaws and pretty massive teeth and canines. They had wire wrapped thru the jaw and nostrils and were hanging, tied to limbs, about 5 feet off the ground. The skin and what was left of the hair were shrivelled up and tight to the bone.

Now Im thinking it was probabaly done by some guy who had the (bear?) skulls and wanted to hang them up and let the elements and maggots eat away the flesh, to leave him with a clean bone skull. I have done this with smaller animal skulls, but I know a guy with a mess of Carrion beetles, who can clean a skull in about 3 days. Then you boil and bleach it, and its museum quality.

Anyway, this was quite a wierd discovery, and really freaky too. Anyone else come across eerie Voodoo - Blair Witch type things

I did a cache last summer on state game lands. It was near the dump spot for dead deer. It was a hole probably 20' by 30'. There were thousands of bones in there. There weren't too many newly departed in there, mostly just piles of bones, and of course 1 mattress. I couldn't help but picture Antlers Soprano and his boys pulling up and sending a friend on a long "vacation".

One cache we went after had us encounter a dead deer smack in the middle of the trail in. Didn't look like it'd been dead for long and we had no idea why it was dead (no obvious damage or blood). We found another trail to follow and found most of the boring bones of another deer sticking outta the ground (no skull).

Another cache we found had a small skull hanging in a hollow log with the co-ords hanging from it. Scared the heck outta me as i round the log and saw it. LOL

Wulf

Edited by Team Tigger International

I was making a quick run into the woods to drop off a TB in "Just Plane Crazy" when I came to a sudden stop. Right next to the trail was a large garbage bag - a swarm of flies buzzing around. The head of a full grown dog glared at me through a hole in the bag, his slightly decaying flesh revealing teeth which seemed to silently growl. Someone had probably dispatched a neighbor's dog and decided to toss the body along the trail instead of burying it. Over the past couple months others have posted about the dog's condition. Last I heard it was nearly all bones.

I've always collected skulls and bones when I'm out hiking. Sadly I've never found anything larger then a deer. I've got quite the collection, though, and if I can ever bring myself to part with them I might hide a bone themed cache!

skulls.jpg

oldlady.jpg

Oops! She's not a skull!

Edited by Vargseld

I was hiking in a "nature park" area near me. We took a trail we hadn't taken in ages and went to one of the old mine ruins. (birmingham is heavy in iron ore, and was a steel-making capital) We hiked down to the mine opening, and found a suitcase-like box. Like a fool, I opened it... and found a dead cat! :P Had a collar, a favorite toy, etc. Guess someone thought they were "burying" the box by throwing it down. They didn't realize that the opening could be walked down to, I don't know!

Yeeeech...

:P

usually only see deer skulls, and some smaller animals (foxes, racoons, i dunno what), but... my girlfriend swears she sees at least one animal skull every time we're out geocaching.

it'd take it as a bad omen, but... she also said she's them every time we've gone fishing this spring...

...so it's really a bad omen for fishing, cause i'm having a good season of caching, and a really crumby one for fishing B)

This was a couple of weeks ago, but I found a section of spine from some critter. Didn't look to be domestic. There was about 7 or 8 vertebrae still aligned, some dried "meat" on 'em. Couldn't've been too fresh, my terriers paid it no mind.

Of course, I brought it home and added it to my collection that I got in my pre-caching days--deer parts mostly.

If I find enough different parts maybe I'll create a whole new animal--geocachius mutitudinous et obscura :unsure:

Just today, I saw what looked like a calf face with the rest of the remains picked at. Upon closer inspection it was a fish that had been beached when the water level dropped from the flooding we've had this year. The thing must have been 4 feet long when it was alive! Now it's dismantled and flat.

Edited by Bjorn74
:lol: I`ve found several skulls while caching.Why just the other day, I was out of town visiting my folks.On the way home,I decided to stop at this town park for a quickie cache.I was the only soul around,& couldn`t find the dang cache.GPSr was goin` haywire again.It zeroed out at this large canine skull.Here I am all alone,in a town i`ve never been to,its getting late,lots of tree cover,& my minds goin`...this is kind of a Bliar Witch thing goin` on:) I thought, I`m sure as hell not going to dig around in that skull cavity for a freakin` smiley face! I turned around only to have a branch whack me in the face! I just about soiled my shorts!! As I`m picking briars out my flesh,I spot the real cache.Swap swag & got the heck outta there!Now it seems silly ,but at the time :P well I guess ya`ll had to be there.

I also always found it interesting to find animal bones strewn across an area near a cache site. To me it always made the experience a little different. Next to my Games People Play cache there are animal bone around. In one instance I found a couple of really nasty dead birds (log). Personally I would rather find cool bones than stinking nasty dead animals.

*Edited for grammatical errors*

Edited by Micqn