Sick Etrex

Anyone have this experience and have a solution?

My yellow Etrex has started powering down for no apparent reason. I have swapped batteries and ensured they are fresh. Sometimes it shuts off without touching it and other times it shuts down when I push a button other than the power button such as menu select.

I'm afraid that repairing it will cost more than a new one. I haven't yet heard anything back from the query I sent Garmin tech support (I sent it over the weekend).

Thanks,

Number 6

Thanks for the fast reply, Team GPSaxophone. I have to hit the power button to get it back up and it cycles through the startup sequence. I assume that means something other than the display connector, but I'll check out that possibility further.

I'm way out of warranty. Any idea what Garmin charges for repairs or should I just resign myself to finding a good deal on a new unit?

Number 6

$99 to repair a unit that cost me $99.95 and can be replaced for less - makes me consider buying a Magellan replacement except they probably have similar repair costs. Haven't yet heard back from Garmin tech support.

I am using rechargables, but the same brand I've used for more than a year. Looser battery contacts, however, would explain the symptoms.

Looks like I will be in the market for a new eTrex, Gecko, or such.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Number 6

Got a reply back from Garmin:

Thank you for contacting Garmin.

It sounds as if the software has developed a glitch. To fix it, we will probably have to do a Master Reset (MR). Unfortunately, a MR will erase any waypoints or routes that you have saved in the unit. If you can upload these to a computer, you should be able to reload them after the MR. The keying sequence for a Master Reset is

UP+PAGE+ENTER+ON (Must be held for 5 seconds)

Thanks again for contacting Garmin.

Best Regards

My confidence is restored and I'll stop threatening to buy a Magellan (besides, I have too much invested in cables and mounts anyway).

The reset seems have done the trick. I'm wondering if the software glitch was related to ExpertGPS 1.3.6 which I installed as a trial just before my problems began (see Expertgps Users - A Bug???, Does yours do this???).

Number 6

I'll go along with Robert. Switching battery brands resolved the bulk of my eMap unexpected power-downs.

Now I sometimes get the power-on-power-off glitch. I can tell when its gonna happen 'cuz the "globe" doesn't start to turn. I've also determined that it only happens when running from batteries when the unit is warming up from about 5C. After rubbing it with the hands for a minute its good to go.

Think this might be unique to my unit!

C-A

Hi Number 6!

I had the similar problem with my yellow way back when, it would just go off for no reason at all. It began to happen just after I started using Energizer rechargeables in it. Turns out the problem was the battery clips inside the battery compartment. I just moved them out very gently giving the batteries a tighter fit and havent had the problem since. Hope this helps

Logger