Should I keep it simple?

Team Canope

I have been thinking about my first hide. I will be using an ammo can with the large Geocaching sticker mounted on the side. The terrain will be one star, as that is my physical limit. To beef it up a bit, I was thinking about placing a lock on the can and hiding the key as a multi. Any thoughts on this? Currently batting .500 (4 tries, 2 finds)

Team Canope

In theory it's cool... will it be a micro then regular multi with the key in the micro? If so you have to hope that the finder rehides the key on the way back... and that they are the only person doing the cache at that time. An alternative is to release the key as a TB... then just hope it doesn't get locked in the actual cache. Either way... keep a spare key!

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

Not a bad idea, but if someone is in the process of looking for the cache and someone else comes along, the key will be gone.

A better idea is to use a combo lock and the person will get the numbers for the combo at each

stage of the multi.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I am planning a multi with a combo lock myself. It definitely lets more than one person look at the same time.

There is also a cache here in Ottawa by mlord called Keychase.

Basically the key moves locally from cache to chache. You have to watch cache pages in order to get it. The key has co-ord for the first waypoint, in which you find the final coords.

It is very cool idea, IMO.

Scott

you can get these little combo luggage locks lots of places, hardware stores and so on. they let you set the combo yourself. One neat thing you could do would be to hide the combo in a 3-stage multi (and put the cache at stage 4), leaving a digit of the combo at each stage. however, don't divulge the position of each digit. Ie, there are 3 digits, 1, 2, 3. don't divulge the order of the digits in the combo. could be 123. could be 321.

quote:
Originally posted by The Cuthberts:

I seem to remember some devious discussion we had on locks and keys a couple of months ago. Did you get any further with this ? icon_smile.gif

Hi Andy,

Not yet... keep watching though... it will happen. We have a couple of ammo boxes ready and as we are down Hampshire way over Christmas, one could turn up quite near you!

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

quote:
Originally posted by Team Canope:

I will be using an ammo can <snip> I was thinking about placing a lock on the can and hiding the key as a multi. Any thoughts on this?

Team Canope

Sounds good. there's a chance that the key may eventually get lost. I think the combination lock probably would work out better. You could get the combination by going to some other cache, by solving a puzzle, or some other means.

BTW, is there a place for a padlock on ammo cans?

The Bigg Family "Delta-S"