Getting Premisson

frozenpop

Why would we need to have permisson to place caches in public parks ? That's why they call

them public parks I also live in Irving and I

think this getting premisson for a public place

its silly........ I for one will place my caches

in Irving since I live here in this city and

there are alot of public parks and places to

put them (example Trinty Park) next to the police

station no one see's no problem with this. icon_mad.gif

... they are "public parks", it is still wise to check with the parks administration department. and if you don't like their answer, go ahead and cache anyway, lol. well use your best judgement not to break any laws.

many people don't realize that there are many other LAWS that govern parks (such as Revised Statutes, etc...)as a Ranger i have authority to remove caches, i could consider them trash, or lost and found items, or remove them for various other reasons. i do not though icon_smile.gif. i appreciate the game and it's participants. it is currently not a problem in our parks (yes we have quite a few cached in our parks! yaaay!)

i consider asking permission a polite formality so you at least know how to deal with the governing authority if there is a problem.

having to do what the voices in my wifes head tell me to do...

[This message was edited by river ranger on August 02, 2002 at 12:16 AM.]

By your logic, I should be allowed to set fire to a public park, paint all the trees bright orange, or have loud public sex there. After all, they're my parks.

Now an argument based on whether or not geocaching causes harm might be persuasive and interesting. But we're having that one already.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

[This message was edited by evilrooster on August 02, 2002 at 01:43 AM.]

I note that you specifically refer to parks in Irving. There has been some discussion on the local North Texas geocaching forum (topica) about some concerns by authorities in Irving. You might want to contact some of the local geocachers in the area (such as Geovamp) for more information.

In any case, I think it is VERY important to notify local authorities about what you are doing. If they are kept in the loop, they can be very suppportive and helpful. Many of the land managers in the north Texas area are very supportive of geocaching if they are kept informed.

BTW...Welcome to geocaching. I hope you find it as much fun as the rest of us. Please come to the North Texas Geocaching Association Busineess Meeting on August 11. There should be a big turn out. You can meet local geocachers...a very friendly group!!!....and it would be a great chance for you to discuss this issue of talking to local park officials with people in the area.

Happy caching!!

Alchemist2000

Unfortunately many land managers are inflexible and unimaginitive and their knee jerk response to requests is a simple NO.

I do know some people have been lucky to work with open minded land managers, but this usually isn't the case. I even know of a person who asked permission and was told 'they didn't want to know a thing, because of all the red tape it would cause'. In other words, go ahead and place it and "I know nuuuthing, nuuuuthing" (Said like Sgt Schultz).

I know many here disagree with me, but I'm of the 'place the cache and apologize later if someone complains' camp

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I disagree, and it's mainly because of that sort of attitude being exhibited by geocachers that are leading to the problems we are having with getting permission.

I'm in the process of dealing with Cuyahoga Valley National Park about virtual geocaching, and I'll admit that I posted it before asking, and it has bothered me since, which is why i've been following up and trying to find who to talk to and get permission for the cache. I talked to the head ranger, and we had a nice friendly discussion about it, and who I need to talk to, but the end result is still that I was asked to 'pull' the cache until such time as somthing is resolved. And I did, as soon as I got of the phone with him.

The best way we can co-exist with these parks is to talk with them. If they say no, keep bringing them new information about cases where parks and geocaching are getting along. Keep the communication open, and I certain in almost all cases, that they will try to work with you, and eventually something will come about.

Now I just have to organize all the information I have, so that I can approach the superintendent of Cuyahoga Valley National Park with information about the virtuals I have planned, and work something out with him.

"You will kneel before her in her altar in the trees" - Tara MacLean, Let Her Feel The Rain

A park not allowing a virtual cache is akin to requiring a nondisclosure agreement to visit the park…you are hereby given permission to enter our park but upon leaving may not speak of or share your experiences in the park with other individuals with out the expressed permission of the park management.

There is a huge difference between giving directions to a location (a virtual cache) and leaving a physical cache at that location. In my opinion, a virtual cache on property open to the public would require absolutely no prior permission.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

I would urge you to get permission before placing a cache. I've heard of caches actually being mistaken for bombs when placed in public places and accidentally discovered by noncachers. Admittedly, this is a worst-case scenario, but do you want to be responsible for the cost of the bomb squad coming out and blowing up your cache, when a simple email or phone call would have avoided the problem altogether? Not to mention the negative publicity for geocaching. Please just think about it...

quote:
Originally posted by Whidbey Walk:

There is a huge difference between giving directions to a location (a virtual cache) and leaving a physical cache at that location. In my opinion, a virtual cache on property open to the public would require absolutely no prior permission.

Interesting angle of view. But that would mean that the only problem the parks would have with a physical cache is the actual cache container and the effect it had on the environment, without thinking of where cachers walk and their impact.

Not that I don't agree with you because I do, except I am not sure the difference is huge. It just makes one realize that there should be not be a larger number of complaints from the land owner/manager whether it is a virtual cahe or an article in a book or magazine attempting to persuade a reader to visit the same spot. Any impact done by the visitor would essentially be the same. I find it hard to imagine a person writing a book on places to visit gets permission to mention a paticular trail or scenic view.

And using that theory, a physical cache would not impact the location any more than the actual spot where the cache is and perhaps a few feet off-trail to access it, and that there is something actually left at the site.

[This message was edited by brdad on August 02, 2002 at 10:59 AM.]