Waterproof, Small Cache Container?

Bigger than a film can, smaller than an ammo can.

Where I hope to place a cache there is both a LOT of standing water and not much room to place a cache.

Does anyone know if DECON boxes are sufficiently waterproof? As in, can they be half submerged in water and be OK? Anything that size work OK?

Thanks for the suggestions... and inevitable Markwelling.. :D

I wouldn't trust anything that has a snap on lid if there is great potential its going to be submerged. Something with a screw on lid with a rubber gasket is your best bet. Look into widemouth Nalgene bottles and other similar products. All you need to do now is think of a way to keep it from floating away! (a bag of stones or $1 worth of pennies ought to do the trick) :unsure:

Kar of TS!!

Edited by Team Shibby

My last cache was originally a beef jerky container purchased at my local 7-11. It is about 1 1/2" in diameter and about 8” long with a screw on airtight lid. It is clear thick plastic with a black lid but I gave mine a camo paint job. I don’t remember the name but they do have a smaller size that is about 1 ¼” in diameter and about 4” long.

I kept two Lock&Lock containers submerged in a 30 gal. garbage can for 4 weeks to test them out. I intermittantly squeezed them and banged them about a bit. No leakage. Don't know how they'd do frozen in water, but I'm confident in them.

I'd be wary of containers formerly used for food. That smell sticks around for awhile in the plastic.

$.02

Military Surplus Decon Containers are waterproof. Just double check for the gasket.

You've had better luck than me then RK! I have found that they always leak under very wet conditions. Tupperware doesn't guarantee any of their containers to be air (or water) tight unless the lid is round. The decon containers are rectangular.

What about a glass canning jar, with the thick rubber seal? Cover it in duct tape to eliminate the shattering hazard though. If they have to be tight enough to keep bacteria from growing inside and killing you when you eat the food, then they must be pretty tight.

... If they have to be tight enough to keep bacteria from growing inside and killing you when you eat the food, then they must be pretty tight.

They actually have a vacuum seal when used to store food. During processing the filled jars are heated when they cool the contents contrtact forming a partial vacuum inside the jar. Might be hard to duplicate in the field. :)

...  If they have to be tight enough to keep bacteria from growing inside and killing you when you eat the food, then they must be pretty tight.

They actually have a vacuum seal when used to store food. During processing the filled jars are heated when they cool the contents contrtact forming a partial vacuum inside the jar. Might be hard to duplicate in the field. :)

OK so what do I know about canning? :P:)

But that sort of proves the point, if it can keep a vacuum, then it can keep out water trying to push in from the outside, right? :D

...  If they have to be tight enough to keep bacteria from growing inside and killing you when you eat the food, then they must be pretty tight.

OK so what do I know about canning? :P:D

But that sort of proves the point, if it can keep a vacuum, then it can keep out water trying to push in from the outside, right? :D

Depends on how tight you screw the ring down. Plus the lids are intended for single use.

Sorry.

Besides If you can't put a knife in a cache why would you use glass to make a cache? Huh did you think of that? :)