Donate GPS Unit

I've upgraded to a Garmin V and thought I would donate my old Garmin to a worthy person or group. If anyone knows of someone that could use it, please let me know. It should go to a person or group that would help promote our sport/hobby. Someone that would love to start caching but just can't afford to buy a GPSr.

Also if there is anyone else out there that would like to donate their old GPSr please contact me. I know you could sell it on Ebay, but I promise you that you'll get much more personal satisfaction in making it possible for someone else to enjoy what you enjoy.

El Diablo

How about your local ambulance squad, or SAR group.

Excellent idea! Too many times we have seen police departments and ambulance services that don't even have a GPS to use when someone calls in their co-ords. You could donate to a department and teach them how to use it and maybe get a few interested in geocaching.

EDIT: That's very generous of you, El Diablo! I hope others follow your lead.

Edited by PandyBat

My wife recently gifted me with an IQue, so I faced the same question regarding what to do with my Geko 201. I decided to keep it. It comes in awfully handy when I want to introduce a friend or relative to geocaching. Rather than awkwardly trying to share a GPSr, I give a quick tutorial and loan them my geko and let them take the lead. Meanwhile I still have my IQue to make sure we stay on track. Also, I like the option of using my geko when it is rainy out or when I don't want to risk my more expensive unit on a rugged hike or an urban micro in a questionable part of town. Donating your old GPSr is a very generous idea, but I find it really useful to have two.

Not that I don't support the local SAR or ambulances, but they have public funding. I'm looking more for someone that can't afford one, like the Boy Scouts or the Girl Scouts, or even a teacher out there that wants to use it as a project.

I think we have all met someone at some time that was interested in caching, but just couldn't put out a hundred bucks to start.

El Diablo

Not that I don't support the local SAR or ambulances, but they have public funding. I'm looking more for someone that can't afford one, like the Boy Scouts or the Girl Scouts, or even a teacher out there that wants to use it as a project.

I think we have all met someone at some time that was interested in caching, but just couldn't put out a hundred bucks to start.

El Diablo

actually many SAR groups do NOT recieve public fundings and run off of donations and voluteer man hours

El Diablo

actually many SAR groups do NOT recieve public fundings and run off of donations and voluteer man hours

Good point. I don't know of any in my area though...can you point me to how to find them?

El Diablo

A Scout troop is a great idea. I work for the Girl Scouts, and have taken many groups of girls out geocaching. However, we only had my GPS to work with, and sharing one GPS between 12 girls wasn't exactly easy. A GPS would also come in handy while camping or working on badges. I'm sure any scouting group would appreciate the donation! :unsure:

I am sure your local scout group would love to have one. I have introduced our small scout group to geocacing and we have already made some geocaches. We are in NW Kansas and there are not very many geocaches in the area. We are putting together an article about geocaching and about the cub scouts making geocaches to run in the local paper. We are hoping the ariticle will be in next week. We are also working to try to get other scout groups into geocaching.

Here are two of the caches that our scouts have put out and you can see photos of the wolf group in these caches Cub Scout Cache and Caching the Midway We also have 2 travel bugs in the Race Across America TB Race.

We are hoping to eventually raise enough money to have a GPS that belongs to the scouts but for the time being I let the boys use mine. So if you are unable to find a place to donate the GPS we could put it to good use.

Ed

yeah a boy scout troop (well probably a varsity team, which is the name for the division of scouting that does high adventure stuff) would love to have one, the thing is most leaders who are responsible enough to use one and/or have scouts that would actually enjoy one, already have one.

and the fact that BSA does not currently support GPS use, although many unit leaders like to have them on long hikes, just in case

Edited by wildearth2001

me me !!! lol i am part of a team that goes geocaching but we all three have to share the same gps.i like going out on my own alot also but cant afford to buy one.and the one we have dosent even tell the lest coord so the micro's in town are out to us.i will email you details if your interested as to why i cant afford to buy one of my own right now..if you give it to me i will in turn donate it back out as soon as i can afford to get me another!!!o please please pick me...lol

and the fact that BSA does not currently support GPS use, although many unit leaders like to have them on long hikes, just in case

What do you mean by this, wildearth? Do they have something against the use of gps, or do they not have an official policy supporting it? Inquiring minds want to know

I have someone in mind.

I was chatting with local cacher (Herefishyfishy) and he informed me that White Cougar has just started caching and is unable to afford a GPS at this time.

"He (White Cougar) doesn't have a GPSr yet so we usually try to hunt a cache or 2 during lunch when we go out of town on deliveries. He wants a GPS but since we're both about to lose our jobs, due to the store closing, and he has twins on the way he's kind of strapped for cash."

I do not know White Cougar, but he has been on my mind since I received this email. I would like for him to be considered as the recipient of the GPS. With the stress he is facing an unexpected act of Kindness would probably provide him with a ray of hope.

This is a really nice thing you are doing El Diablo. From what I have seen in the Forums this is just one example of your kind and giving character.

GEO.JOE

A very cool person in my local town donated a Garmin Vista to the library. It is available at the circulation desk and can be checked out for a week. This unit has been borrowed by individuals, Scout Troops, and a nearby police department. I used this Garmin for about six months, checking it out every couple of weeks. I would encourage everyone interested to consider this option. Many can benefit and you can always borrow it back if you need to (+ the tax break). :)

Edited by Midway Cafe
(wildearth2001 @ Apr 26 2004, 11:48 PM)

Actually GPS is a large part of high adventure Varsity Scouting. The BSA does not inhibit the use of GPS - they want scouts to know the basics first. Your batteries may run out on the GPS or you may be in the bottom of a canyon and not be able to get satallite signal - where would you be then if you did not know or have the basics?

In fact many councils are now incorporating GPS use into their programs especially at camps and campouts. The GPS would fall into the scout orienteering merit badge although not specifically mentioned, the GPS could be used to meet some of the requirements. I am sure that soon the use of GPS will be part of the requirements within 5 years. Merit Badge requirements are not reviewed yearly and revisions can take 4 years and new merit badges can take even more years before they are brought into the program.

A very cool person in my local town donated a Garmin Vista to the library. It is available at the circulation desk and can be checked out for a week. This unit has been borrowed by individuals, Scout Troops, and a nearby police department. I used this Garmin for about six months, checking it out every couple of weeks. I would encourage everyone interested to consider this option. Many can benefit and you can always borrow it back if you need to (+ the tax break). :)

I really like this idea! It seems like a nice way to make the GPS available to many people. Hmmm, I have an extra one lying around and just might look into this! Thanks for the suggestion! :P

A very cool person in my local town donated a Garmin Vista to the library.  It is available at the circulation desk and can be checked out for a week. This unit has been borrowed by individuals, Scout Troops, and a nearby police department.  I used this Garmin for about six months, checking it out every couple of weeks.  I would encourage everyone interested to consider this option.  Many can benefit and you can always borrow it back if you need to (+ the tax break).  :)

I really like this idea! It seems like a nice way to make the GPS available to many people. Hmmm, I have an extra one lying around and just might look into this! Thanks for the suggestion! :P

I'll 2nd (or 3rd) this idea. I really like the sound of this one. Hmmm, may have to see what our local cachers think on a fund raiser to get one for our local library. Maybe make up a "book" to check out with it, helping explain its use.

That is an awesome idea! :P

A very cool person in my local town donated a Garmin Vista to the library.  It is available at the circulation desk and can be checked out for a week. This unit has been borrowed by individuals, Scout Troops, and a nearby police department.  I used this Garmin for about six months, checking it out every couple of weeks.  I would encourage everyone interested to consider this option.  Many can benefit and you can always borrow it back if you need to (+ the tax break).  :D

I really like this idea! It seems like a nice way to make the GPS available to many people. Hmmm, I have an extra one lying around and just might look into this! Thanks for the suggestion! :D

I'll 2nd (or 3rd) this idea. I really like the sound of this one. Hmmm, may have to see what our local cachers think on a fund raiser to get one for our local library. Maybe make up a "book" to check out with it, helping explain its use.

Great idea on the book. The Vista came with a small fold-out pamphlet that got me started very quickly and easily. Although the people ahead of me had the datum set incorrectly and were having a hard time according to the libriarian.

The library also expressed interest in doing a sumertime activity program to introduce the patrons to the GPS and Geocaching. It could be a lot of fun if we can get it together. Now that I think about it, I'll bet that it would qualify as a Geo-meet/event. Something else to look into.

We have two libraries in town, one has a GPSr and the other does not. I'm working on a chache to place in the library that does not have a unit to loan. It should be interesting to see how often it is logged by a patron of the library across town.

MC

There have been a lot of great suggestions here, and even more in private email. I have also had several people ask if I would trade one of my staffs for a donated GPSr unit.

So I've decided to make an offer. I'll donate a staff for every 5 GPSr units donated, with a max of 25 units. The donors will go in a pool, and I'll draw the winners from that. However you must make your donation official here in this thread to qualify. Which means that if you donate a unit, you have a 1 in 5 chance of winning a staff.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

Heck, I was just going to suggest a couple of friends of one of my workmates. I was explaining Geocaching to a lady I work with, who went and told the tale to a couple who has recently moved into her area from Boston. They're pretty much bereft of funds, but enthusiastic enough to want to tag along with the Gdayclan on our next expedition.