Condolences To Nodrog

snaik

Having just completed GCJ2G5 John Knox's Pulpit i thought the last Logbook entry by Nodrog was rather strange as it never finished. If you read his log entry you will see his West Highland Terrier "Lucy" fell and was seriously injured and had to be put down. Having recently had to have my companion of 15 years put i know how he must feel. Having had such a good days caching i now feel gutted

I'm ever so sorry for your loss nodrog. I have two dogs also and I know that I would be heart broken if anything happened to them.

May I point out that TartanT the owner of John Knox's Pulpit, is on holiday at the moment, and will not know that such a tragic thing has happened at his cache.

I just read the Log,

My wife and I both send our deepest condolences. We don't currently have dogs, but are both big animal lovers.

I haven't gone after any caches that are potentially dangerous like this, but I will now know to be on the lookout for such dangers when I do have a dog someday.

After reading a thread in the discussion forum, I felt compelled to offer my condolences as well. I long to have a caching partner (I cannot right now due to living circumstances). I cannot image the loss you must feel. Our animals all passed-on at the vet, when the time was right. A friends life cut short must be deeply grieving. May your next pal be a loving, long lived companion. :D

I was very sad to read this thread and my sympathy goes out to Nodrog. Only those of us who have dogs can understand the sense of loss when they go. Unfortunately, the longevity of dogs relative to humans means we usually experience this pain several times over.

michigan, usa here.

i read about your loss and i want to say i'm sorry. i had to have my baby put to sleep 3 years ago and i still miss her. it will get better, but you will never forget. i hope you get another caching companion soon. it really does help. thinking of you across the pond.

Sending my condolences from across the pond as well. I had to have both my "daughters" put down last year, just after my own father passed away. One was an 18y/o Chihuahua, the other a 14 y/o German Shepherd. I know the pain of losing such a close companion, and my heart goes out to you. You have a very, very large family here at gc.com, and we have waterproof shoulders. If you need to have a good cry, we can listen, and understand. I hope you find the strength to carry on, and have the memories to carry along.

:unsure: My sincere condolences Nodrog. As someone who was brought up with dogs, has owned dogs and, as I live on my own, yearn to have another dog but due to my extensive motorcycling activities this is not practical. I, like many others, share the sadness of your loss of Lucy.

We, my wife Lynn and myself, would also like to pass on our sincere condolences to Nodrog. We also always take our border collie Maddie with us on our caches and would be totally distraught if anything such as this would have happened to her. On a recent cacheing trip, she fell in a canal loch and had to be pulled out as she, unlike many dogs, has a total aversion to water and an apparent inability to swim very well.

Perhaps we cachers should all take this sad opportunity to re-examine caches that we have placed and found with a view to the risks involved particularly for small children and animals. Although many have put warnings on their cache pages i is always possible that someone else may spot something that we have missed ourselves. Let's all try to ensure that these risks are sufficiently emphasised on the cache pages and maybe Lucy's tragic fall will not have been without some meaning.

Once again, our sympathies to you and your wife Nodrog.

Martin, Lynn and Maddie

Jessie (Golden Retriever) and I pass on our sympathy! She, Susan and I Just finished our first hike of the season in the Pawnee Buttes here in Colorado.

Words help little, but please know that your GC family (dogs, too) share in your sorrow. Think of the happy times you enjoyed with Lucy. She'll not be far from you if you keep her in your heart.

Keith

Just so you know I'm not totally devoid of feelings..... I've never owned a dog but I held my old cat in my arms as the vet administered the final injection (acute kidney failure). I went outside and sobbed like a child and there's tears in my eyes as I type this, dammit.

The only type of pets I've ever had are the type that make coffee in the morning... but even a tough ol' boot like me was touched by Lucy's sad story. My father has cats and dogs and has been inconsolable whenever he's lost one. Heartfelt condolences to Nodrog and Mrs Nodrog. As he says in his log, we can be thankful it wasn't their grandson.

SP

P.S. Highly inappropriate, but I personally find humour a great healer, so here's something I was going to type in the main part of this Post and decided not to. I hope no one is *too* offended: "I recently lost my granny. Mind you, it was a hell of a game of cards..."

I would like to thank all the people that have posted messages to myself and my wife over the death of Lucy. I have been hill walking for some 50 years now, almost always with a dog at my side. Over the years as they have aged and died, it has always been a sad parting, but expected - this was just so sudden and to such a young and beautiful animal. She is sadly missed by us, and by my other companions Muppet (12 year old Blue Roan Spaniel) and Maisie (2 year old Cairn Terrier). We have shed many tears, and she will never be forgotten,and will always have a special place in our hearts. It is comforting to know that there are so many people out there who love their animals as much as I do.

Thank you all.